This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Helgi Tomasson to step down by 2022

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/dance/helgi-tomasson-to-step-down-at-s-f-ballet-in-2022-after-nearly-40-years-at-the-helm

"Helgi Tomasson will step down as artistic director and principal choreographer of the San Francisco Ballet by June 2022, the company announced Wednesday, Jan. 6."

"“This had been on my mind for a while, even before the pandemic,” he said in a video interview over Zoom. “And as I assess where we are now, I feel the company has come through this very well."

Edited by PeggyTulle

Just got the email!  Wow, I'm surprised! But then I realized he's been with the company ~40 years... he's certainly earned a well deserved rest!  The Datebook article mentions he has family in Europe.

I already find myself speculating on who will take over 😉  Seems like diversity is a big topic, so I'm glad it already sounds like they're focusing their search around that.

I'm purely an outsider, but I will really miss Helgi.  He brought in some fantastic choreographers, the Unbound festival was a huge achievement... these will be big shoes to fill.

I hope there can be a real celebration/sendoff for Tomasson by then, because the many cancelled sendoffs at companies are just depressing.

I find myself leaning more towards the current NYCB model - 2+ directors instead of just one:
NYCB is using an Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director (which sounds belittling - they should have come up with better titles), Resident Choreographer and Artistic Advisor, plus repertory directors.

Maybe a "Managing Director" with a separate "Artistic Director", and a "Resident Choreographer and Artistic Advisor"...