This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2021 Opening Night Virtual Gala

This one looks to be strictly for the bit money donors:

SAN FRANCISCO BALLET 2021 VIRTUAL BENEFIT

FEATURING AN 88TH SEASON OPENING GALA PERFORMANCE
Thursday, January 14, 2021

6 pm Event Start Time
7 pm Main Program + Performance and Dinner

Join the dancers of San Francisco Ballet for our first-ever virtual benefit featuring an 88th Season Opening Gala Performance—an entertaining evening hosted by Madison Keesler, SF Ballet Soloist, and curated by SF Ballet’s Artistic Director & Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson

https://www.sfballet.org/support-us/special-events/2021-virtual-benefit/

Congratulations to Madison Keesler for landing the hosting job.  😉 
This is not the first time that she has worked as a speaker/host - I do think she has the appropriate type of voice and stage presence for this kind of gig. Toi toi toi.

Edited by pherank

I enjoyed attending the performance in person last year and reliving it online in the summer.  Maybe SFB will allow viewing later in the year and ask for donations again?

PNB went with a free virtual gala this year.  I posted a link under the "Free Streaming during Covid-19 Crisis" thread.  I hope some people checked it out.  New exceptional pieces IMO were PacoPepePluto by Alejandro Cerrudo and Dylan Wald's debut in Apollo (he was also promoted to Principal Dancer).

Edited by seattle_dancer

Welcome news:

Helgi Tomasson is finally choreographing a new piece, and he's shown here working with Fogo and MacKay [edit: these two will be dancing a Swan Lake PDD], as well as other familiar faces such as Greco, Sheehan and Rowe (behind the masks). Music will be by the Baroque era composer Rameau.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJJo-AYjiTQ/

Edited by pherank
San Francisco Ballet 2021 Virtual Benefit
88th Season Opening Gala Performance Program*

Premier Presenting Producer
Osterweis Capital Management

Presenting Producers

Frederick and Shelby Gans
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Linnea and George Roberts
Denise Littlefield Sobel

Excerpt from New Work by Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Jean Phillippe Rameau 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Dr. Sunnie Evers 
JULIA ROWE, LEILI RACKOW, BIANCA TEIXERIA, NATASHA SHEEHAN 
DIEGO CRUZ, LUCAS ERNI, LUCA FERRÒ, LLEYTON HO 

Dedicated To… by Yuri Possokhov 
Composer: Victor Osadchev 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Jennifer and Steven Walske
YUAN YUAN TAN

Excerpt from Wooden Dimes, Danielle Rowe’s world premiere 
Composer: James M. Stephenson 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Alison and Michael Mauzé
LUKE INGHAM, DORES ANDRÉ, MAX CAUTHORN

Pas de Deux from Coppélia by Arthur Saint-Léon 
Composer: Léo Delibes 
Artistic Director Sponsors: Richard C. Barker; Yurie and Carl Pascarella
MISA KURANAGA, ANGELO GRECO

Excerpt from Myles Thatcher’s world premiere 
Composer: Steve Reich 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Christine Russell and Mark Schlesinger
CASTING TO BE ANNOUNCED

Short film of Mrs. Robinson world premiere by Cathy Marston 
Composer: Terry Davies 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Fang and Gary Bridge
SARAH VAN PATTEN, JOSEPH WALSH, LUKE INGHAM

Act III Pas de Deux from Don Quixote by Alexander Gorsky and Marius Petipa
Staging and Additional Choreography by Helgi Tomasson and Yuri Possokhov
Composer: Ludwig Minkus 
Artistic Director Sponsor: Diane B. Wilsey
NIKISHA FOGO, JULIAN MACKAY

Pas de Deux from In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated by William Forsythe (JAN. 14 VIP ONLY) 
Composer: Thom Willems 
Artistic Director Sponsor: James C. Hormel and Michael P. N. Hormel
SASHA MUKHAMEDOV, AARON ROBISON

White Swan Pas De Deux from Swan Lake by Helgi Tomasson (JAN. 14 VIP ONLY) 
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
NIKISHA FOGO, JULIAN MACKAY

A Special Thank You to Our Wine Sponsor 
Rodney Strong Vineyards

*As of December 21, 2020.
3 hours ago, pherank said:

Welcome news:

Helgi Tomasson is finally choreographing a new piece, and he's shown here working with Fogo and MacKay [edit: these two will be dancing a Swan Lake PDD], as well as other familiar faces such as Greco, Sheehan and Rowe (behind the masks). Music will be by the Baroque era composer Rameau.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJJo-AYjiTQ/

This clip was also posted on their YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSR_UsCn3rI.  

Edited by sf_herminator

From today's SFB e-mail:

Creating Harmony in the Studios

Artistic Director and Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson announced on Wednesday that he will conclude his tenure in 2022 with the commitment to bring the Company back to live performances and the stage. As such, he has focused on the creation of new work and has been in the studios working with Company artists in choreographing his next premiere, Harmony. 

An excerpt from Tomasson’s creation will debut at the sold-out 2021 Virtual Benefit Gala to be held on Thu, Jan 14, and it will be available to subscribers later this month. Everything old is new again in Tomasson’s piece, which is set to music by Jean-Philippe Rameau and features members of the corps de ballet: "Some of Rameau’s pieces, even though he was born at the end of the seventeenth century, feel almost contemporary," Tomasson says. "It doesn’t feel like old music." Watch here to learn more about Helgi's creation process.

If you purchase a 2021 Digital Season Package before midnight on Wed, Feb 3, you'll receive one-week complimentary access to Tomasson's new piece, plus the Act III pas de deux from Don Quixote danced by new principals Nikisha Fogo and Julian MacKay!

Anyway, interesting to hear that the Virtual Benefit Gala is sold out, and that subscribers will get a chance to see a couple of items from the gala performances. I hope they make the entire gala available later on for a (reasonable) fee.   ;)

Last week I wrote to SFB and (politely) complained that only large donors were allowed to view the Gala. They responded: “As a Premium Plus Digital Package holder, you will have access to a special bonus program featuring many of the performances [emphasis added] featured on the evening of our virtual benefit.  You will have access beginning January 25th for 1 week.”  So, it looks like more than ‘a couple of items’ - at least I hope so.  

I appreciate that we get this as part of our subscriptions, but it seems like a missed opportunity to raise more funds.  Many of us are happy to pay $100+ just to attend the Gala performance without any of the big-donor perks.  I’d certainly be willing to pay to attend digitally (yes, I’ve made a donation in lieu).  On the other hand, at least I don't have to hobble to the Opera House in heels.

It’s also curious how something digital is ‘sold out’.  I know some platforms have limitations on how many can log in, so maybe that’s the reason, but it still seems a little odd. 

Anyway, I’m more than happy to have regular performances ballet back in my life.

Edited by PeggyR
6 hours ago, PeggyR said:

I appreciate that we get this as part of our subscriptions, but it seems like a missed opportunity to raise more funds.  Many of us are happy to pay $100+ just to attend the Gala performance without any of the big-donor perks.  I’d certainly be willing to pay to attend digitally (yes, I’ve made a donation in lieu).  On the other hand, at least I don't have to hobble to the Opera House in heels.

It’s also curious how something digital is ‘sold out’.  I know some platforms have limitations on how many can log in, so maybe that’s the reason, but it still seems a little odd. 

I've had all of these thoughts as well and so disappointed SFB locked up their gala after PNB offered their first free virtual gala (and asked for donations) in November.  When the company goes the donation route, they also have the opportunity to add names to their donor database, and since virtual, can really expand around the globe.  That's an opportunity to sell more virtual subscriptions in so many states and countries.

I only attended the SFB gala once and only the performance, so what do I know.  Perhaps the dinner crowd would be offended if not an exclusive event and they don't want to upset them and future sales/support.

It is very nice that virtual subscribers will have limited access for one week.  I'm curious to see what the selections will be.  Also, I'm hoping the entire gala will be available later in the summer like last year with the matching gift offer from the Board of Trustees.

PeggyR I do get your concerns. It can't have been easy for SFB staff to plan how to pull this digital gala off - with the virtual food sharing and "mingling" with SFB artists and staff. It remains to be seen whether this model will work. I hope we get to hear from one or more attendees.

Presumably, SFB needed a way to provide the big donors something exclusive (and worthy of a larger donation). The event being "sold out" probably means they are using the same yardstick as before of table seats sold and applying it virtually this year. There's always been a certain number of seats available at each of the fundraising levels, and no more, so I think each of the tables on each of the levels have been reserved at this point (apparently for both the main event and the ENCORE! fundraising event). Which is a good thing; however they obviously don't have a flexible way to allow people to pay for just the performances aside from advertising the Premium Plus Digital Package. So we season ticket holders will get to see some, but not all, of the gala.

21 hours ago, pherank said:

PeggyR I do get your concerns. It can't have been easy for SFB staff to plan how to pull this digital gala off - with the virtual food sharing and "mingling" with SFB artists and staff. It remains to be seen whether this model will work. I hope we get to hear from one or more attendees.

Presumably, SFB needed a way to provide the big donors something exclusive (and worthy of a larger donation). The event being "sold out" probably means they are using the same yardstick as before of table seats sold and applying it virtually this year. There's always been a certain number of seats available at each of the fundraising levels, and no more, so I think each of the tables on each of the levels have been reserved at this point (apparently for both the main event and the ENCORE! fundraising event). Which is a good thing; however they obviously don't have a flexible way to allow people to pay for just the performances aside from advertising the Premium Plus Digital Package. So we season ticket holders will get to see some, but not all, of the gala.

According to the Instagram "stories" this morning, SFB actually had a fleet of delivery trucks taking actual dinner, wine, and flowers to each donor before the streamed gala started! So that would explain the limitation on number. They are raising the bar on streamed events, for sure. (Sorry - no way to give you a link to Stories.)

2 hours ago, California said:

According to the Instagram "stories" this morning, SFB actually had a fleet of delivery trucks taking actual dinner, wine, and flowers to each donor before the streamed gala started! So that would explain the limitation on number. They are raising the bar on streamed events, for sure. (Sorry - no way to give you a link to Stories.)

Big donors outside the Bay Area were also part of the food arrangements (using local sources). Although I bet deliveries came when they came and people just dealt with it. I imagine it felt like a truly enormous conference call, or "party line" as it was called in the old days of telephony.