This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2021 Digital Season

Myles Thatcher | From Scratch: Episode I
"How do you make a new ballet during Covid? Choreographer Myles Thatcher shares the ups and downs of creating a new work for the #2021Season in our new series, From Scratch. In this first episode, Thatcher (also a SF Ballet Soloist) works on choreography alone in the studio, consults with costume designer Susan Roemer, and delves into the challenges of the creative process."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngldwIQsMH8

Note that purchase of single program access begins January 19th, at 12pm according to the SFB website. I assume that means for Program 1 and not for any/all programs. And I'm told that viewers will be allowed 72 hours of access for their purchase, which is great.

So I imagine all SFB digital subscribers have received today's e-mail:

"Our 2021 Season launches on Thursday, and we can hardly wait! As you know, things are looking a little different this year as we switch to a Digital Season, so we wanted to give you a couple of days to familiarize yourself with our new channel, SF Ballet @ Home, and get yourself set up for our launch on Thursday.
We've loaded a test video into your account at SF Ballet @ Home so you can make sure everything works and enjoy a seamless experience on Thursday. Follow these four simple steps below to get your account set up, and make sure you never miss a beat..."

I've gone ahead and tested the service on their new channel and things seem to be functioning OK (there are some previews available), and I'm able to cast to AppleTV which is important to me. Here's the SFB channel URL:

https://www.sfballet.tv/

I believe it is now possible to purchase Midsummer Night's Dream access for $29 if one is not interested in purchasing the entire digital season package. But the actual streaming won't begin until this Thursday, January 21st.

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Midsummer is absolutely gorgeous! In general, I love this production and to see SFB perform feels like such a luxury. Here's my review. Has anyone else watched it yet?

Watched it this morning and plan to watch it many more times while it's available! Nice review. This is so sad and eerie -- their last performance before the lock-down 10 months ago. It's like looking back at newspapers from September 10, 2001. Of course, this is a familiar ballet to many -- from PNB's recordings, NYCB's frequent season end. But it's lovely to see and, yes, sparkling throughout. The chance to see Ratmansky's Symphony #9 again later in the season sold me on taking the plunge for a digital subscription, but so many other nice things are included. And, if I understand correctly, we will get to see excerpts from the recent Gala.

13 minutes ago, California said:

Watched it this morning and plan to watch it many more times while it's available! Nice review. This is so sad and eerie -- their last performance before the lock-down 10 months ago. It's like looking back at newspapers from September 10, 2001. Of course, this is a familiar ballet to many -- from PNB's recordings, NYCB's frequent season end. But it's lovely to see and, yes, sparkling throughout. 

Thank you! And wasn't it sadly strange to see an unmasked, full orchestra? I feel like we're referring to things that were the norm in a distant past; in some ways it feels so long ago yet because we're still living this pandemic so deeply, it's not history. 

44 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Thank you! And wasn't it sadly strange to see an unmasked, full orchestra? I feel like we're referring to things that were the norm in a distant past; in some ways it feels so long ago yet because we're still living this pandemic so deeply, it's not history. 

Facebook memories just pulled up photos from my visit to NYCB's Balanchine Birthday celebration eight years ago. I had included a photo of the orchestra pit showing those Lucite panels they use for noise protection from each other (an OSHA regulation, also written into the musicians' contract). Now I am thinking those same panels will be useful for COVID protection when they finally return. (Good time to buy stock in Lucite?)

12 hours ago, California said:

Watched it this morning and plan to watch it many more times while it's available! Nice review. This is so sad and eerie -- their last performance before the lock-down 10 months ago. It's like looking back at newspapers from September 10, 2001. Of course, this is a familiar ballet to many -- from PNB's recordings, NYCB's frequent season end. But it's lovely to see and, yes, sparkling throughout. The chance to see Ratmansky's Symphony #9 again later in the season sold me on taking the plunge for a digital subscription, but so many other nice things are included. And, if I understand correctly, we will get to see excerpts from the recent Gala.

Opening night of SFB's A Midsummer Night's Dream was the entire program, as it turned out. The city of San Francisco then imposed a lockdown on all of the large venues (I think the order went out the same day that the opening occurred on). The film that you see here was actually of the 2nd cast (a fine cast though, given the "deep bench" at SFB) that was allowed a window of opportunity to gather together one last time, but without an audience present. The orchestra and dancers kind of act as each other's audience - their applause can be heard at the end of the performance and it is strangely moving.

EDIT: Thanks for the donation to a worthy cause, btw. Subscribers will get to see a reduced number of the Gala performances. The casting page actually shows the sections withheld ("VIP only"):  https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/
Unfortunately that means not being able to see a number of the newer company members dance.

12 hours ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

I can't stop flinching every time I see a commercial or TV program filmed sans masks. I immediately wonder if it's a re-rerun or pre-pandemic, or an example of protocol breaking.

Edited by pherank

For anyone watching AMND at SF Ballet @ Home, I recommend also watching the interviews with Max Cauthorn and Tyla Steinbach which include talk about AMND as well as how dancers have coped with the pandemic. Also recommended - the SF Ballet School 2020 Virtual Open House:

Jennie Scholick interviews the three new school faculty members
Jason Ambrose (formerly Elite Classical Coaching, St. Petersburg Conservatoire)
Larissa Ponomarkenko (formerly Boston Ballet)
Vicktor Plotnikov (formerly Boston Ballet)

The rehearsal pianists are also interviewed, and there's a virtual tour of SFB's new Bowes school facilities.

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

While I enjoyed the performance of MSND I am used to the Titanias at NYCB to be much more queenly and over the top in their haughtiness. 

You got me thinking (which is always dangerous)...

I'm in the "make it your own, but make it effective" camp. So I don't really care what other dancers/répétiteur/directors have decided about how Titania should be characterized except perhaps for NYCB's original castings. And so your statement made me wonder if there was any chance Melissa Hayden, or Suzanne Farrell, played Titania in an over-the-top or haughty manner. So I went digging, but haven't found much so far. Probably the more exaggerated characterizations that you've seen were developed later by other dancers and répétiteurs who were thinking more about the Shakespeare play than the Balanchine interpretation of the play. That's my guess. Sasha De Sola already has a Farrell quality to her dancing and manner, so she probably stuck with what was comfortable for her. The opening night cast had Yuan Yuan Tan as Titania, but I didn't get to see that and can't tell you how her characterization differed from De Sola's. Opening night had Joseph Walsh as Oberon and he has great comedic sense, and was probably more effective in his characterization than Hernandez, but Hernandez is a fine technical dancer.

Sad but true: if the dancer lacks real acting ability, anything subtle or arch is going to be a failure anyway.

Allen Hughes from 1963:

"The role of Titania, which has been taken by Melissa Hayden and Jillana, has been assigned to Suzanne Farrell for all the performances of the weekend. At 17 she can hardly be expected to be as convincingly haughty and regal as Titania ought to be. She is a fine dancer, however, and altogether lovely to look at. These qualities will have to suffice for this season's Titania." [Ouch?]

Contrast Hughes' assumptions about the Titania role with what Clive Barnes says about Hayden:

Clive Barnes from 1966:

"Miss Hayden's Fairy Queen was gracious and authoritative. There was a regality in the tilt of her chin, a creaseless (yet thoughtful) dignity in her arms and hands, a happy confidence in her entire bearing. Miss Hayden dances like a prima ballerina should, with that distinctive musicality and a certain, quite indescribable, individual tincture of movement--a tincture that slowly deepens over the years.

Her acting was irreproachable, deft, and expressive. What she perhaps lacked was the kind of fairy incandescence that the pale, elfin figure of Edward Villella brings to Oberon. It has, like Balanchine's ballet, a quality more Mendelsohnian than Shakespearean - perhaps, a little Teutonic, a little Romantically Heinrich Heine."

[ archive available only to subscribers: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1966/04/11/79998072.html?pageNumber=44 ]

Clive Barnes from 1967, regarding the film of AMND:

"The close scrutiny of the camera is occasionally unkind to some of the acting, although the beauty of Suzanne Farrell's glowingly girlish Titania, Edward Villella's spectral force as Oberon, Arthur Mitchell's smilingly human Puck and Allegra Kent's exquisite Court Dancer, all emerge splendidly, as does the dancing."

https://www.nytimes.com/1967/04/18/archives/screen-midsummer-nights-dreambalanchine-helps-turn-classic-into.html

Jack Anderson from 1979:

"Karin von Aroldingen's portrayal of Titania, the fairy queen, suggested much about Mr. Balanchine's unsentimental attitude toward the characters. She looked gorgeous, but the thrust of her dancing possessed a harshness that prevented this Titania from resembling a storybook illustration.

Mikhail Baryshnikov was equally unsentimental as Oberon. His dancing was mercurial. But he also turned Oberon into a huffy, pouty monarch obviously fond of fomenting tempests in teapots."

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/02/17/archives/city-ballet-in-balanchines-midsummer-nights-dream.html

To put things in perspective - this was the first time SFB had performed AMND in 34 years. The 1st cast got to perform one time on stage before an audience, and this film was of the 2nd cast doing their very first stage performance. So I think the SFB audience was about to go on an incredible ride - but then the lockdown destroyed the dream. Sigh. If only the dancers had more time to get comfortable in their roles, and alternate casts got to have their shot...it would have been momentous.

Edited by pherank

For digital season subscribers - the "select" 2021 gala footage is now available. Look for the video named Leap Into the New Year: SF Ballet 2021 Virtual Benefit [49m]

Here are the short performances that we are able to see:

Excerpt from Harmony by Helgi Tomasson
Dedicated To… by Yuri Possokhov
Pas de Deux from Coppélia by Arthur Saint-Léon
Short film of Mrs. Robinson by Cathy Marston
Pas Deux from Don Quixote, Act III

Edited by pherank

Did anyone get to watch the "Select" gala?  I just did!  A few thoughts:

- Madison Keesler makes a great host!  She's got a great speaking voice and lots of poise.  Makes me wonder if she'll pursue anything with that in the future!

- The curtain calls without applause made me sort of sad.  A reminder there's no live audience.

- What were the costumes in Harmony?!  They looked like corseted pajamas!!!!  Costuming aside, I liked the piece.  It seems I haven't seen much of Natasha Sheehan the past few seasons, so I was glad I got to see her here.  I remember Helgi mentioning he felt she had tons of promise.  Julia Rowe had a solo that stuck out to me with some nice footwork.

Mrs. Robinson was my favorite of the pieces!  The filmography with the SF skyline in the background was magnificent.  Walsh and Van Patten are amazing actors.  All around it was a lot of fun!  Will definitely rewatch.

- Didn't know much about MacKay before joining, but he looked great in Don Q - I saw some footage of him performing the same pas de deux with Christine Schevchenko a little while back, but unfortunately the stage they were on there seemed a bit cramped and didn't really do his dancing justice.  He looked like he took a lot more risks with his jumps and turns in this SFB recording of it!  IMO Fogo looked a little bit tense/stiff in the upper body. Wonder if it was nerves?  She's got lovely feet and legs though, it seems nice to have a taller dancer in the principal roster now!

Edited by Phrenchphry11
56 minutes ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Did anyone get to watch the "Select" gala?  I just did!  A few thoughts:

- Madison Keesler makes a great host!  She's got a great speaking voice and lots of poise.  Makes me wonder if she'll pursue anything with that in the future!

- The curtain calls without applause made me sort of sad.  A reminder there's no live audience.

- What were the costumes in Harmony?!  They looked like corseted pajamas!!!!  Costuming aside, I liked the piece.  It seems I haven't seen much of Natasha Sheehan the past few seasons, so I was glad I got to see her here.  I remember Helgi mentioning he felt she had tons of promise.  Julia Rowe had a solo that stuck out to me with some nice footwork.

Mrs. Robinson was my favorite of the pieces!  The filmography with the SF skyline in the background was magnificent.  Walsh and Van Patten are amazing actors.  All around it was a lot of fun!  Will definitely rewatch.

- Didn't know much about MacKay before joining, but he looked great in Don Q - I saw some footage of him performing the same pas de deux with Christine Schevchenko a little while back, but unfortunately the stage they were on there seemed a bit cramped and didn't really do his dancing justice.  He looked like he took a lot more risks with his jumps and turns in this SFB recording of it!  IMO Fogo looked a little bit tense/stiff in the upper body. Wonder if it was nerves?  She's got lovely feet and legs though, it seems nice to have a taller dancer in the principal roster now!

Nice to hear from you, Phrenchphry11. The Harmony costumes are actually reused from an older ballet, but I can't remember the name of it  - I think it's mentioned in one of the online videos. Personally, I like them because they add a lighter, playful touch to the Baroque theme. Often, anything "Baroque" looks and feels overwrought/overly complicated, so I think it was a clever choice. But that's just me.

From what I've heard, the actual stage version of Mrs. Robinson will have a different look and feel. The film was a standalone reworking of a section of the choreography. Almost a side project rather than a film of the ballet performance, if that makes sense. I'm really looking forward to Mrs. Robinson and Wooden Dimes.

14 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Did anyone get to watch the "Select" gala? 

I have been looking at almost all the digital subscriptions (PNB, San Francisco, Boston, Sarasota, Louisville -- okay, I'm retired), free things like Arizona, etc., etc., etc. Perhaps it's COVID fatigue, but I most enjoy the comfort food of the classics, usually performed by different dancers than I've seen, which keeps them interesting. So I loved the opening Pas de Sept by Bournonville by Arizona, and the classic PdD at San Francisco. I understand that new work is more interesting for the dancers. Well, okay. If they need that artistic nourishment, fine. But let me see the classics mixed in. It's going to be a long time before we're back in the  theater (fall?).

MacKay seems very young and there were moments of insecurity, I thought, at both SF and the "Night at the Ballet" with Shevchenko. But he will be very interesting to watch as he matures and gains more confidence.

Here's a photo of the Emeralds film cast:

https://www.instagram.com/wonapark/

Looks like the casting is Sasha Mukhamedov, Aaron Robison, Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco, Julia Rowe, Esteban Hernandez, Wona Park, Samantha Bristow, Anatalia Hordov, Blake Johnston, Swane Messaoudi, Norika Matsuyama, Chuvas Thamires, Kamryn Baldwin, Lizzy Powell and Megan Amanda Ehrlich

Edited by pherank

OK, this is a surprise - casting is up - for everything(!). OK, not quite everything although we know some of what is missing already...

https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

Program 02 Casting

LET'S BEGIN AT THE END

Composers: Johann Sebastian Bach, Philip Glass, Michael Nyman
Choreographer: Dwight Rhoden
Conductor: David Briskin
Violin: Mariya Borozina
Piano: Natal’ya Feygina

Frances Chung, Angelo Greco
Esteban Hernandez
Sasha De Sola, Benjamin Freemantle
Jennifer Stahl, Ulrik Birkkjaer

COLORFORMS World Premiere

Composer: Steve Reich
Choreographer: Myles Thatcher
Director: Ezra Hurwitz

Frances Chung*†
Sasha De Sola*†
Isabella DeVivo*†
Jasmine Jimison*†
Maggie Weirich*†

Sean Bennett*†
Ulrik Birkkjaer*†
Cavan Conley*†
Esteban Hernandez*†
Steven Morse*†

Sandpaper Ballet

Composer: Leroy Anderson
Choreographer: Mark Morris
Conductor: Ming Luke

Kamryn Baldwin, Sean Bennett, Alexandre Cagnat, Thamires Chuvas, Cavan Conley, Daniel Deivison-Oliviera, Isabella DeVivo, Lucas Erni, Jahna Frantziskonis, Anatalia Hordov, Jasmine Jimison, Vladislav Kozlov◊, Norika Matsuyama, Swane Messaoudi, Sasha Mukhamedov, Kimberly Marie Olivier, Wona Park, Lauren Parrott, Joshua Jack Price, Leili Rackow, Nathaniel Remez, Natasha Sheehan, Mingxuan Wang, Maggie Weirich, Ami Yuki◊

Program 03 Casting

Symphony #9

Composer: Dmitri Shostakovich
Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky
Conductor: Martin West

Jennifer Stahl, Aaron Robison
Dores André, Joseph Walsh
Wei Wang

Wooden Dimes World Premiere

Composer: James M. Stephenson
Director and Choreographer: Danielle Rowe

Betty Fine, a rising Vaudeville Star: Sarah Van Patten*†
Robert Fine, her husband: Luke Ingham*†
The Dresser, Betty’s best friend: Ludmila Bizalion*†
The Office Men, Robert’s demanding colleagues: Hansuke Yamamoto*†, John-Paul Simoens*†, Joseph Warton*†
The Director, Betty’s infatuated boss: Tiit Helimets*†
Shiny Things, Betty’s joy and happiness: Madison Keesler*†, Nathaniel Remez*†
Dark Angels, Robert’s doubts and insecurities: Dores André*†, Max Cauthorn*†
The Chorus Ladies, Betty’s friends and colleagues: Samantha Bristow*†, Thamires Chuvas*†, Gabriela Gonzalez*†, Anatalia Hordov*†, Ellen Rose Hummel*†, SunMin Lee*†, Norika Matsuyama*†, Tyla Steinbach*†

Swimmer

Composers: Shinji Eshima, Tom Waits, Kathleen Brennan, and Gavin Bryars
Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov

Joseph Walsh
Lauren Strongin, Tiit Helimets
Sofiane Sylve◊, Luke Ingham
Wanting Zhao
Max Cauthorn, Daniel Deivison-Oliviera, James Sofranko◊

Jewels Casting

Emeralds

Composer: Gabriel Fauré
Choreographer: George Balanchine

Misa Kuranaga*, Angelo Greco*
Sasha Mukhamedov*, Aaron Robison*

[Cast photos being shared on Instagram show Sasha Mukhamedov, Aaron Robison, Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco, Julia Rowe, Esteban Hernandez, Wona Park, Samantha Bristow, Anatalia Hordov, Blake Johnston, Swane Messaoudi, Norika Matsuyama, Chuvas Thamires, Kamryn Baldwin, Lizzy Powell and Megan Amanda Ehrlich]

Rubies

Composer: Igor Stravinsky
Piano: Roy Bogas

Mathilde Froustey, Pascal Molat◊
Wanting Zhao

Diamonds

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Sasha De Sola, Tiit Helimets

Program 05 Casting

7 for Eight

Composer: Johann Sebastian Bach
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Piano: Mungunchimeg Buriad

1st Movement: Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets
2nd Movement: Vanessa Zahorian◊, Gennadi Nedvigin◊
3rd Movement: Koto Ishihara◊, Elizabeth Powell, Taras Domitro◊
4th Movement: Gennadi Nedvigin◊, Lonnie Weeks, Koto Ishihara◊, Vanessa Zahorian◊
5th Movement: Taras Domitro◊
6th Movement: Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets
7th Movement: Finale

Mrs. Robinson World Premiere [FILMING CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS]

Composer: Terry Davies
Choreographer: Cathy Marston

CASTING TO BE ANNOUNCED

Mrs. Robinson replaced by archival film of Marston's Snowblind:

Snowblind

Composers: Amy Beach, Philip Feeney, Arthur Foote, and Arvo Pärt
Choreographer: Cathy Marston
Piano: Mungunchimeg Buriad

Ethan Frome, a farmer: Ulrik Birkkjaer
Zeena Frome, his sickly wife: Sarah Van Patten
Mattie Silver, their home help: Mathilde Froustey

Anima Animus

Composer: Ezio Bosso
Choreographer: David Dawson
Violin: Heeguen Song

Maria Kochetkova◊, Sofiane Sylve◊

Carlo Di Lanno◊, Luke Ingham, Henry Sidford, Wei Wang
Kamryn Baldwin, Elizabeth Mateer, Elizabeth Powell, Skyla Schreter◊

Romeo & Juliet Casting

Composer: Sergei Prokofiev

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova◊
Romeo: Davit Karapetyan◊
Mercutio: Pascal Molat◊
Benvolio: Joseph Walsh
Tybalt: Luke Ingham
Lord Capulet: Ricardo Bustamante
Lady Capulet: Sofiane Sylve◊
Nurse: Anita Paciotti
Paris: Myles Thatcher
Rosaline: WanTing Zhao
Lord Montague: Rubén Martín Cintas◊
Lady Montague: Lacey Escabar◊
Friar Lawrence: Jim Sohm
Prince of Verona: Martino Pistone◊

Swan Lake Casting

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Violin: Cordula Merks
Cello: Eric Sung

TO BE ANNOUNCED

*Denotes role debut in current production
‡Denotes role debut at San Francisco Ballet
†Denotes debut in current production
◊Denotes a dancer who is no longer part of the Company

Edited by pherank

This is the last day of Program 1 availability - A Midsummer Night's Dream AND the 2021 Virtual Benefit Gala video. Tomorrow we have access to Program 2 [Rhoden's Let's Begin at the End, a world premier of Thatcher's ColorForms, and Morris' Sandpaper Ballet] until March 3rd.

Purchase a subscription or single program access here:

https://www.sfballet.org/productions/digital-program-02/

Streams are viewed on the SF Ballet @ Home website (creating an account here is free):

https://www.sfballet.tv/

Edited by pherank

Some Program 2 thoughts...

Let's Begin at the End I talked about back in the spring when it was first streamed. My only real issue was Rhoden's tendency to arrange the dancers symmetrically, and have everyone dancing the same steps without any variations. Morris, on the other hand, offers a master class in variation and subtle alteration in his group dances that I find fascinating. It bears repeated viewing.  

I liked the use of props in Thatcher's ColorForms. Sasha chewing bubblegum on the steps was amusing. I appreciate Thatcher's impulse to highlight some of the Corps dancers in his various works. We get to see more of Maggie Weirich and Jasmine Jimison than is perhaps usual. And that's a very good thing. During one of the group dances I remember De Sola and Birkkjaer just beaming. In fact, everyone seemed to be particularly happy at that point in the proceedings and it made me smile to see it. It's the little things.

There's a real sense of camaraderie in Thatcher's ballets (which I suppose is natural given that he creates on his friends) that I think is refreshing. And hopefully, that spirit is communicated to most audience members.

The ColorForms film itself is fun to watch, though conceptually speaking it's not as tight as it could have been. Certain visuals have more obvious references than others. Garish colors blasting my retinas isn't really my thing. It's the playful touches - like paper airplanes, apples, balloon animals, and Sean Bennet with a topknot(!) that kept me interested. The dancers perform surprisingly well on redwood chips in the park, if that means anything. I do wonder what ColorForms is going to look like on an actual stage - Thatcher is going to have rework a great many things to fit that ballet in the opera house.

I was happy that Jahna Frantziskonis was featured in Sandpaper Ballet. I hadn't seen much of her in the last couple of years - I know that she's struggled with injury. I always look for her. JF's PDD with Cavan Conley was wonderful. Her articulation of the steps is so lovely and nuanced. She's blessed with great proportions, so that always helps. It was nice to get to see Sasha Mukhamedov and Vlad Kazlov taking part again too (he is now with Bayerisches Staatsballett).

Is that a "Tall Girl" (Rubies) send up when Mukhamedov is partnered by three men? I see references to Serenade, perhaps, and probably a half dozen other ballets in the steps.

Program 2 gives us more Cavan Conley, which is a wise move, as he's quite entertaining - he has one of the more expressive faces in the company. I enjoyed his dance with Frantziskonis.

Wona Park looked a little stiff to me in the Morris PDD. She's not really as soft and supple in her movements as the choreography seems to warrant, and I'd like to see her be more playful in her demeanor. She does the steps but I didn't feel particularly engrossed in what she was doing or how she was doing it. But, she's young, and that was my first impression of things. Daniel Deivison-Oliviera looked much more physically attuned to the spirit of things. He looks like he belongs.