This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tommy Rall (1929-2020)

While Rall had a fine career, he came along too late to have a really big career in movie musicals. By the time he entered M-G-M's orbit in 1952, the studio system in general and the M-G-M musical in particular were going into decline. With M-G-M shedding expensive long-term contract stars as their contracts expired, there was no longer much interest on M-G-M's part in developing careers for younger performers like Rall. Once, a performance like the one Rall gave in Kiss Me Kate would have opened up opportunities for him. Instead, he was cast in one more musical -- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- and then was released.

Here are some more clips:

(1) A slightly longer version of the Invitation to the Dance clip which volcanohunter provided with Rall interacting with the redoubtable Claude Bessy of the Paris Opera Ballet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AreQLj0cX7I

(2) The "Tom, Dick and Harry" number from Kiss Me Kate, which allows for some interesting comparisons between Rall, Bob Fosse and Bobby Van. (The comparison is cruel to Van):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEaZ5xotL_o

(3) Rall partnering Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufkZ7qFdLg

Edited by miliosr

Thanks for the clips, miliosr, and the original notice, volcanohunter.

In the Funny Girl version of Swan Lake, Rall seems to carry himself like Eglevsky in Balanchine's Ivanov version. The widescreen overhead crane shot struggles a bit to take everything in, but it's interesting to watch especially if you can filter Streisand out.

From Playbill:

Born December 27, 1929, in Kansas City, Missouri, Mr. Rall began taking dance lessons, enrolled by his mom, at the age of four and would go on to perform as a child in Seattle vaudeville acts. Incidentally, one of his first Broadway credits was the 1948 musical comedy Look, Ma, I’m Dancin, choreographed by Jerome Robbins. (Two years prior, he appeared in the Robbins-choreographed Fancy Free and Interplay as part of a Broadway engagement with Ballet Theatre). His onstage collaboration with Robbins continued into the 1950s with Miss Liberty and Call Me Madam.

He also danced with Bob Fosse in a movie adaptation of My Sister Eileen, with Betty Garrett as Ruth, and on stage in Milk and Honey, with Molly Picon. 

From IMDB trivia:

Had a crossed eye as a child and relied on the advice of a doctor who suggested visual exercises. Since Tommy couldn't read very well, his mother decided on dance lessons to correct it, which relies heavily on spotting and focusing.

His first MGM movie role was a short subject called "Vendetta," ... the story of Carlo Pozzo di Borgo, a boyhood friend of Napoleon Bonaparte's who later turned against him.

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-veteran-and-movie-musical-regular-tommy-rall-dies-at-90

Edited by Quiggin

With Tommy Rall's death, five of the seven brothers in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are now deceased: Howard Keel (2004, aged 85), Jeff Richards (1989, 64), Matt Mattox (2013, 91) and Marc Platt (2014, 100).

Jacques d'Amboise and Russ Tamblyn are still living. They were both born in 1934.

Of the brides, Jane Powell (91), Julie Newmeyer (Newmar) (87), Ruta Kilmonis (Lee) (85) and Nancy Kilgas (90) are still living.

7 hours ago, miliosr said:

With Tommy Rall's death, five of the seven brothers in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are now deceased: Howard Keel (2004, aged 85), Jeff Richards (1989, 64), Matt Mattox (2013, 91) and Marc Platt (2014, 100).

Jacques d'Amboise and Russ Tamblyn are still living. They were both born in 1934.

Of the brides, Jane Powell (91), Julie Newmeyer (Newmar) (87), Ruta Kilmonis (Lee) (85) and Nancy Kilgas (90) are still living.

Women often outlive their husbands.  😉

The great Tommy Rall has died at the age of 90. May he dance for eternity.

Thank you for posting the news, volcanohunter.  He was a marvelous dancer, who didn't have the movie career he deserved for the reasons cited by miliosr above. 

Donald O' Connor in conversation with Mindy Aloff, 1979.

O’Connor: We did some beautiful numbers. ............... For crazy dancing, it’s interesting to see the old pictures I made with Peggy Ryan before I went into the service. With the Jivin’ Jacks and Jills. Bob Fosse was one of them, and Tommy Rall—I think the greatest dancers living.

FW: Above Astaire?

O’Connor: Yes. And Kelly. You see, as far as the man’s personality goes, there’s no one who can touch Fred Astaire. He’s unique. But for the work he does, I would say Tommy can do it, Fosse can do it. Or at least they’re able to fake it and come across with great charm. I’m talking about overall dancers, who can do everything. And they’re great choreographers, too.

2 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

There's also the quote from Patricia Ward Kelly cited by the Hollywood Reporter.

Yes,  I posted that one for the Links. I hope Ms. Kelly gets around to that book she's been promising us for years now. But I digress.

Hoping that Rall's death gets more attention than it's received so far. Looking at you, NYT.

I first saw Tommy Rall when he was at a tender age.  He was in the Corps of Ballet Theater and had an electrifying solo in "Graduation Ball".  He performed

a Tyrolean dance and always brought the house down---and it was a big House--the old Met in nyc.    RIP

19 hours ago, atm711 said:

I first saw Tommy Rall when he was at a tender age.  He was in the Corps of Ballet Theater and had an electrifying solo in "Graduation Ball".  He performed

a Tyrolean dance and always brought the house down---and it was a big House--the old Met in nyc.    RIP

How lucky for you, and what a fabulous memory!