This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Calvin at The Fire Island Dance Festival

While luxuriating in just a snippet of Kyle Abraham's "An Untitled Love", featuring Calvin Royal III and an unnamed female partner at The Fire Island Dance Festival, I was smitten by the brilliance of this piece. This was performed outdoors and appears to have been framed and even more inspired by the arrival of a sultry Summer's evening by the sea. How I delighted in the construction of the piece. One moment, the couple seemed in normal conversation together as if completely oblivious to the art form in which they were about to participate. Suddenly, in the most delightful and seamless transition, they burst into dancing the languid rhythms of this hot August night. This juxtaposition of casual space against these intermittent explosions of their delicious Summer dance caused such a firestorm of creative excitement within me that I just had to get on Ballet Alert and share the creative joy of this discovery.

Edited by altongrimes
24 minutes ago, altongrimes said:

While luxuriating in just a snippet of Kyle Abraham's "An Untitled Love", featuring Calvin Royal III and an unnamed female partner at The Fire Island Dance Festival, I was smitten by the brilliance of this piece. This was performed outdoors and appears to have been framed and even more inspired by the arrival of a sultry Summer's evening by the sea. How I delighted in the construction of the piece. One moment, the couple seemed in normal conversation together as if completely oblivious to the art form in which they were about to participate. Suddenly, in the most delightful and seamless transition, they burst into dancing the languid rhythms of a hot August night. This juxtaposition of casual space against these intermittent explosions of their delicious Summer dance caused such a firestorm of creative excitement within me that I just had to get on Ballet Alert and share the creative joy of this discovery.

Sounds wonderful--was the snippet on Instagram?  (Various youtube searches didn't seem to turn this up.)

Drew, I hope you get this. Yes. I think it was Instagram. It is among those videos that I have had for several weeks. I'm not as conversant with the computer as I would like but perhaps there is a way I can send it to you? Looks like I could email it to you if you find that acceptable? Perhaps, that would be unwise, however, for your security.

Edited by altongrimes
21 hours ago, altongrimes said:

Drew, I hope you get this. Yes. I think it was Instagram. It is among those videos that I have had for several weeks. I'm not as conversant with the computer as I would like but perhaps there is a way I can send it to you? Looks like I could email it to you if you find that acceptable? Perhaps, that would be unwise, however, for your security.

It's kind of you to ask -- if you can figure out how to send it via the message function inside Ballet Alert, then that would be great. But if you can't, please don't worry. I enjoyed just reading your description of seeing the snippet of Abraham's work with Calvin Royal III!

Hi Drew ! I will try to employ the assistance of my young computer friend in order to send you that little clip. I will try. She will be away, however, for a week. I meant to add that I had viewed this "An Untitled Love" numerous times previously before acquiring the "eyes to see". Fascinating, that the genius or perhaps, the nuclear core of a piece is not necessarily so instantly comprehended. 

Edited by altongrimes