This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2020 Promotions.

Just now, pherank said:

Well it's not over until it's over. She may reappear elsewhere, and this is a good time for big changes.

It seems so strange that she hasn't addressed it at all on her social media by now. She's been posting, but not on this, and her info still has her as a principal at ABT.

I understand wanting to process things in ones own time, so I don't meant this as a criticism, she owes us nothing.

I just think it is somewhat surprising she wouldn't want to get something out there.

1 hour ago, aurora said:

It seems so strange that she hasn't addressed it at all on her social media by now. She's been posting, but not on this, and her info still has her as a principal at ABT.

I understand wanting to process things in ones own time, so I don't meant this as a criticism, she owes us nothing.

I just think it is somewhat surprising she wouldn't want to get something out there.

She could be deciding what to do next so she can make an announcement with a positive spin.

3 minutes ago, vipa said:

She could be deciding what to do next so she can make an announcement with a positive spin.

Agreed. I just thought that she'd want to do so fairly speedily. It's been over a week.

I'm sure you are right though--it is the only reasonable explanation.

22 minutes ago, Novice123 said:

Why do promotions of dancers of color have to be laced with "good for the company from a diversity perspective"?   A good principal "for a person of color" sotto voce 

Personally I don't see the two statements as being related, much less one implying the other.

Dancers get promoted for a number of reasons that are important for a company, they leave companies for their own reasons, .and their contracts are not renewed for a number of reasons.  And there are any number of opinions about the relative worth of dancers.

There has been no evidence from official news about who made the decision that 1. Lane would no longer be presented on the ABT roster or 2. Any causality around the comings and goings.

2 hours ago, Novice123 said:

Why do promotions of dancers of color have to be laced with "good for the company from a diversity perspective"?   A good principal "for a person of color" sotto voce 

Are you referring to forum chatter, or are you referencing an article posted online?

I've just removed posts, (not by Novice123's) and I'll explain why, hopefully to avoid this discussion going off the rails:

• Bringing in discussion points and comments by non-professionals on social media, in replies to media articles, and from other discussion boards is off limits for discussion here.  
  • Anecdotal evidence is not conclusive.
  • There's no contradiction if the same person or group doesn't make contradictory arguments about like conditions.  
    • On this point, not engaging is not, by definition a sign of hypocrisy, because no one is obligated to post or engage about anything, let alone everything.
  • Discussing the discussion or each other is against board rules.

When people feel that their dancers, although not exclusively their dancers, have been treated badly, and choose to discuss it, there's a lot of discussion about reasons and observations about patterns..  There are a host of reasons given or implied, some seemingly obvious and reasonable-sounding, like needing a tall male partner, and others where there is much more disagreement about cause, especially since everything can be argued on the individual level. 

On 9/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, FauxPas said:

By the way, Sarah Lane's dancer page is still archived on ABT.org.  If you look at the top under her name it says "Joined ABT 2003/Principal 2017-2020"  So she is no longer a principal and no longer a member of the company.

Sarah Lane is teaching a master class at Princeton Ballet School on October 16th.  (It is posted on their home page.)  She is identified as "American Ballet Theatre's Sarah Lane" and the brief description of her career states that she "has been a ballerina with American Ballet Theatre for 18 years."  Most likely, this was all arranged before recent events changed her status with ABT.  

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Love her dancing. So upset by her abrupt departure. But “Principal Dancer”? Seriously? Principal of what?

Not a good look.

Agreed. I hope this isn't the end of her dancing career. IMO her career at ABT was filled with lost opportunities for the company and Lane. Her promotion came a lot later than it should have and then she was under under utilized.  Personally, I feel it took a toll on her confidence.

It may not be easy to join another company in the time of COVID, but I hope she is able to, if that's what she wants. Lane has special qualities.

11 hours ago, nanushka said:

Love her dancing. So upset by her abrupt departure. But “Principal Dancer”? Seriously? Principal of what?

Not a good look.

I’ve seen other dancers put a similar or exact same title on their IG that aren’t associated with or employed by one company who do mainly freelance. Lane was a principal dancer with one company until very recently and has guested with other companies, even earlier this year pre-covid in lead roles, i.e. a principal dancer role. So, I can understand her listing her title that way. If she does any guesting, once that is allowed, I imagine she’d only do a lead role. IG titles or job descriptions are to tell the world “My skill set is this”. If a company needs a Giselle, they want a principal dancer not just a “ballet dancer” or “former dancer” or whatever. Not saying a ballet company  will only hire her or any other dancer for a principal job/role if their IG title says “principal” but this is about advertising yourself.

So I don’t think it looks bad. I think it’s sad, like all of whatever happened (including how McKenzie treated her throughout her entire career) that caused her departure but bottom line that she can no longer list “with ABT”.

Just now, Helene said:

I'm seeing what aurora is seeing.  An older version might still be in your cache, @ABT Fan.

Got it. That’s probably why.

I hope she lets us know what her future plans are. Maybe she’ll go into teaching full time. She’s still posting what look to be recent videos of her dancing/rehearsing in a studio, sometimes wearing a mask, so I hope she continues to dance in some way. But, I’m very sad knowing I’ll probably never get to see her perform again.

For what it’s worth, the “Dancer” shows up as the category of the page, which appears if the profile is a business account, similar to the way a business might be able to designate themselves as a restaurant or cafe. It’s not part of one’s written bio. The category appears on the app but it may not necessarily appear if you’re looking at Instagram from a browser.

Edited by Victura