This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Putting ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ in Motion
Amy Sherman-Palladino and her choreographer, Marguerite Derricks, talk about how the show uses dance and movement in conventional and unconventional ways.
--Gia Kourlas

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/arts/dance/mrs-maisel-amy-sherman-palladino-marguerite-derricks.html

'“Dance — when are we getting it back?” Amy Sherman-Palladino asked. “Nice to talk to you about the thing that doesn’t exist anymore.”

While dance does exist, the live version has been hard to come by during the coronavirus pandemic. For now the screen is where it lives.'

On 9/9/2020 at 6:16 AM, pherank said:

Putting ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ in Motion
Amy Sherman-Palladino and her choreographer, Marguerite Derricks, talk about how the show uses dance and movement in conventional and unconventional ways.
--Gia Kourlas

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/arts/dance/mrs-maisel-amy-sherman-palladino-marguerite-derricks.html

'“Dance — when are we getting it back?” Amy Sherman-Palladino asked. “Nice to talk to you about the thing that doesn’t exist anymore.”

While dance does exist, the live version has been hard to come by during the coronavirus pandemic. For now the screen is where it lives.'

Having been glued to all the reruns since I discovered (thanks to Gia Kourlas) this 'television(?)'-internet comedy-drama series a few days ago, I go with the Guardian newspaper from England.

"If it went on for ever without going anywhere [which it sometimes seems to (my addition)], that would be just fine."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/06/the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-season-three-review

There are many moments when I don't think that I've laughed any harder in my entire life.

I also attempt mental checklists of all the curves thrown (plenty) and uppers and downers in this brilliant series. Happily, for me, the uppers and love (and brilliance) come out heart grippingly on top. 

Edited by Buddy
On 9/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, Buddy said:

Having been glued to all the reruns since I discovered (thanks to Gia Kourlas) this 'television(?)'-internet comedy-drama series a few days ago, I go with the Guardian newspaper from England.

"If it went on for ever without going anywhere [which it sometimes seems to (my addition)], that would be just fine."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/06/the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-season-three-review

There are many moments when I don't think that I've laughed any harder in my entire life.

I also attempt mental checklists of all the curves thrown (plenty) and uppers and downers in this brilliant series. Happily, for me, the uppers and love (and brilliance) come out heart grippingly on top. 

Being a sucker for good retro set and costume design, I was an early discoverer of that particular show. When I tried to interest friends and family in the show ("it's about an upper-class Jewish woman whose marriage is on the rocks, and she decides to give stand-up comedy a shot") - there were few takers.  😉  
But I find if you challenge people to just watch the pilot episode, they tend to get quickly hooked. I love the screwball comedies of the 1930s with rapid-fire banter, and this show is one of the few in the modern era that uses that same free-flowing, heavy-on-the-dialogue narrative model.

Thanks, pherank and Buddy. I saw the first few episodes and didn't pursue it, although Rachel Brosnahan was excellent and the snippets of standup were often funny, not always the case in scripted series about standups. I admit I did not find the period feeling or decor particularly convincing. It just seemed to scream "PERIOD DECOR!"

It's nice that Amy Sherman-Palladino has found success again after seeming to flail around for a bit following the end of "The Gibson  Gilmore Girls." She was responsible for the ill-fated "Bunheads," which showed promise but also had problems that it wasn't allowed time to work out.

I prefer the Sorkin brand of walk-and-talk, but Sherman-Palladino is very talented and writes good roles for women.

Edited by dirac
Obvious
1 hour ago, dirac said:

Thanks, pherank and Buddy. I saw the first few episodes and didn't pursue it, although Rachel Brosnahan was excellent and the snippets of standup were often funny, not always the case in scripted series about standups. I admit I did not find the period feeling or decor particularly convincing. It just seemed to scream "PERIOD DECOR!"

It's nice that Amy Sherman-Palladino has found success again after seeming to flail around for a bit following the end of "The Gibson Girls." She was responsible for the ill-fated "Bunheads," which showed promise but also had problems that it wasn't allowed time to work out.

I prefer the Sorkin brand of walk-and-talk, but Sherman-Palladino is very talented and writes good roles for women.

"Gilmore Girls!," Dirac, "Gilmore Girls!".  😊

If you don't ever hear from me again, it's because I'm totally caught up in this series (like most folks were twenty years ago !?)

2 hours ago, Helene said:

I used to fast-forward to the scenes with Edward Hermann, whom I was privileged to see (live) in "Plenty."  I just loved him.

I've only watched twenty episodes in the last several days, Helene, so I don't have a favorite yet.

This might be considered obsessive behavior or it might be that the series is remarkably good. I've also been to seventeen Mariinsky Ballet Festivals. They're remarkably good too.

Now I've got about One-hundred-twenty episodes to go. Then back to the Festivals.

Added: Okay, true confession. I don't have a favorite, but one that I like very much (not by accident I'm sure) is Paris, the studies only, sometimes unconvincing (hopefully it stays that way) rat and also loveable, sensible person. It seems that Amy Sherman Palladino characters don't work linearly, necessarily. I hope that she becomes a pal of some sort. (If she doesn't, please don't tell me) My favorite scenes are when she and Rory (lead sixteen-year-old) become friends again.

I think that we're drifting from the Topic,"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," but this is Amy Sherman Palladino land.

As for Dance, I really liked "Bunheads." Maybe we can get back to Pherank"s thoughts as well. It's an interesting area. 

Edited by Buddy
8 hours ago, Buddy said:

"Gilmore Girls!," Dirac, "Gilmore Girls!".  😊

If you don't ever hear from me again, it's because I'm totally caught up in this series (like most folks were twenty years ago !?)

Thank you for the correction, Buddy. No offense intended. :) Have you seen the reboot? I think it's on Netflix.

1 hour ago, dirac said:

Thank you for the correction, Buddy. No offense intended. :) Have you seen the reboot? I think it's on Netflix.

Sorry, Dirac, I can't answer you now. I'm lost somewhere in Series Two.

But, six episodes a day would only take three weeks (not nearly long enough) to finish. I'll talk to you then.  😊