This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky 2020-2021 Season

4 hours ago, Drew said:

(She mentions how fortunate she has been not to get it before this time.)

She mentions being glad that she was able to dance the premiere of Christian Spuck's Orlando before she became ill. She was forced to withdraw from one of her performances, leading Maria Vinogradova to dance the part three times in two days.

45 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

She mentions being glad that she was able to dance the premiere of Christian Spuck's Orlando before she became ill. She was forced to withdraw from one of her performances, leading Maria Vinogradova to dance the part three times in two days.

I saw some video of Vinogradova with Belyakov that I liked better than I expected, though I guess that should be under Bolshoi not Mariinsky...

From the Instagram account--VolcanoHunter doesn't need Googletranslate (!) but for those of us who do (Buddy gave this translation as well):

"Friends, I regret to inform you that my next performances have been canceled due to an illness that overtook me. A special pain is the cancellation of a performance in my native Petersburg. I think that I have withstood resistance in an epidemic for a long time and often went on stage instead of sick colleagues ... but I am grateful to fate, which gave me a recent wonderful premiere in the Orlando ballet staged for me. Be healthy and take care of yourself and your loved ones."

The link comes with a photo I found rather striking...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM9fnSnAiFs/

Edited by Drew

Today, announced as "an Evening of Contemporary Choreography," with two creations by Mariinsky dancers.

One brief video clip shows Kristina Shapran. Those remarkably articulate hands should be patented. The work is an older and charming one, "At the wrong time," choreography by Alexander Sergeev.  

Also performed, "Russian dead ends–II," with a cast including Renata Shakirova. The work is choreographed by Maxim Petrov, who has produced some delightful 20 minuters. I don't recall this one. It looks a bit more on the serious side. 

Already posted from today's noon performance, Yekaterina Osmolkina (partnered finely by Alexei Timofeyev) in a very beautiful and very heart touching presentation of George Balanchine's magnificent Act II Divertissement Duet from A Midsummer Night's Dream. 

There've been three Raymondas in a row. A video from yesterday's features Yekaterina Kondaurova (with  Andrei Yermakov) at her statuesque finest. The way that she can switch seamlessly from classical to any other style remains remarkable. Not only is she the Mariinsky's stellar performer of anything different from the classical norm, but she can do the hallmark of classicism, Odette/Odile from Swan Lake, as finely as anyone.

Also interesting, her husband, Islom Baimuradov, will be appearing as Alexei Karenin from   Anna Karenina, which will feature Viktoria Tereshkina. Like Yekaterina Kondaurova, he's an accomplished, multi-talented performer. He's primarily a Character/Actor, probably the  finest after the amazing Vladimir Ponomarev, but also an impressively versatile dancer.    

Alina Somova and Maria Iliushkina were featured in the other two Raymondas, which should have been quite outstanding as well. 

Casting is now available for most of May. It looks quite fine.

Some personal highlights are Alina Somova (with the remarkable Kimin Kim), Oxana Skorik, Renata Shakirova and Maria Khoreva as Giselle, Maria Iliushkina and Maria Bulanova (whom I'm liking very much in just about anything) as Medora in Le Corsaire and Yekaterina Kondaurova in The Four Seasons, which she makes quite special. Alina Somova in The Bronze Horseman also sounds very interesting.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/?type=ballet&year=2021&month=5