This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maria Kowroski Will Retire on May 23, 2021

I was able to log into my NYCB account and see my subscription dates for Spring 2021.  May 23, 2021 at 3PM is listed as Maria Kowroski's Farewell.  I hope we can all return to the theater to give her a proper farewell. 

Edited by abatt

By the time the company is performing again, whether this winter or spring (hopefully not later...), I wouldn't be surprised if we see more retirements of senior principals and soloists. I also wonder what about the status of those who were apprentices when things were cancelled. No doubt there will be a lot of shakeup. 

On my subscription, I see that I was scheduled for a program called "Baroque Variations." I wonder what was included in that!

Edited by cobweb
additional thought
On 8/29/2020 at 3:03 PM, Drew said:

A wonderful ballerina -- stunningly beautiful (and great at comedy too). I very much hope she can give a live farewell performance.

What comedy roles are you thinking of? I never saw Maria Kowrowski in The Concert I remember seeing her in Herman Schmerman and just being dumbstruck by her her artistry. I also have special memories of her in the 2nd Movement of Symphony in C. She was the go-to for that role for quite awhile and danced it regularly. Her performances in the Wheeldon duets, After the Rain and Liturgy are also fabulous. And Agon...  And Stravinsky Violin Concerto.... I could go on and on.

59 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

What comedy roles are you thinking of? I never saw Maria Kowrowski in The Concert 

I was thinking of Wheeldon’s Variations Sérieuses....I think it dropped out of the rep so people don’t remember it much...,

1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

What comedy roles are you thinking of? I never saw Maria Kowrowski in The Concert I remember seeing her in Herman Schmerman and just being dumbstruck by her her artistry. I also have special memories of her in the 2nd Movement of Symphony in C. She was the go-to for that role for quite awhile and danced it regularly. Her performances in the Wheeldon duets, After the Rain and Liturgy are also fabulous. And Agon...  And Stravinsky Violin Concerto.... I could go on and on.

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

I was thinking of Wheeldon’s Variations Sérieuses....I think it dropped out of the rep so people don’t remember it much...,

Also, Titania in Midsummer, the Susan Stroman ballets, Slaughter on Tenth Ave.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Such a fun ballet ... I don't know why it fell out of the rep. But yes, Kowroski's comic chops were on full display. The tender little pas de cinq for Kathleen Tracey (as the stage manager) and four stagehands with big push brooms is one of the sweetest things Wheeldon has ever choreographed.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Oh, so sad to hear this but I’m not surprised. Maria’s artistry has grown deeper and more beautiful as she has aged. I do hope she can have a live farewell performance, but I am not encouraged at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed. My favorite memories of her dancing at SPAC are her stunning performances in Firebird, Diamonds and Titania as well as many other roles. 

Edited by KarenAG
Typo
On 10/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, KarenAG said:

Oh, so sad to hear this but I’m not surprised. Maria’s artistry has grown deeper and more beautiful as she has aged. I do hope she can have a live farewell performance, but I am not encouraged at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed. My favorite memories of her dancing at SPAC are her stunning performances in Firebird, Diamonds and Titania as well as many other roles. 

They have scheduled Kowroski's live farewell performance for Sunday, October 17, 2021.  They have yet to announce the pieces that will be on the program.

Dear BAers who will attend Maria’s final performance today, please, please post lots of details, photos/videos of her bows, the ballets performed and any other delightful information you may wish to share. I had to turn in my ticket yesterday because I have come down with a cold (I’ll get a covid test,too, to rule it out). I’m deeply disappointed, heartbroken, really. Please enjoy and let those of us who cannot attend enjoy vicariously through your reporting. 💞🩰💖Thank you so kindly!