This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi 2020/2021 Season

Buddy

On 10/30/2020 at 1:13 PM, Buddy said:

Lizzy, in the Bolshoi World Ballet Day presentation yesterday Vladislav Lantratov said that he's coaching for the first time and enjoying it. He said that the reason that he's doing it is so that the more elderly coaches can stay home during the virus. Seems like a very sensible and understanding decision on his part and the company's.

(I still can't get these to go away)

This was really very considerate of him.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:33 PM, Lizzy said:

This was really very considerate of him.

Yes it was, Lizzy. It's part of a very a sympathetic attitude that Vladislav Lantratov conveyed throughout his moderation and interviews. He presents a very sympathetic case for what the Bolshoi's attempting to do at the moment with its full program of performances.

I’m still watching the Bolshoi’s World Ballet Day presentation and I’ve gone back and forth between the duet rehearsals.  The one that I focus on the most is with Olga Smirnova and Ruslan Skvortsov, for Onegin, coached by Maria Allash. There’s always something new to appreciate. Several elements are most noticeable. There’s the pure beauty of motion. Some of the sculpture in the overhead lifts, for instance, is magnificent and breathtaking. There’s the musicality, how the motion reflects the music. And there’s the emotional and dramatic. How Olga Smirnova responds to the emotional and dramatic is a highlight. She’s already taken on the character and the aura. So the rehearsal is beyond just getting the mechanics. It’s also into expressing the character. This is all done with a beautiful flow and blending of moves and feeling.

Especially touching is the expression on Maria Allash’s face towards the end of the presentation. She’s absorbed and heart touchingly ‘lost in’ the emotion and the aura. Yet, in an instant, she can throw in a key suggestion. What’s happening is much more than an exercise, it’s a lovely and insightful event.

It’s really nice at times to be able to divert from day to day 'happenings' and enter into a world of art and beauty that can add value, perspective, good feeling and ‘elevation’ to our day to day pursuits.

I’m continuing my viewing of the Bolshoi World Ballet Day rehearsal of Onegin with Olga Smirnova and Ruslan Skvortsov because it’s so beautiful and interesting. A good thing about videos is that you can watch for detail over and over. I mentioned in my last post about how Motion, Music and Emotion/Drama are distinct elements so well blended here.

One of the most impressive things that I’m noticing now is how Olga Smirnova is able to blend her acting with her response to the music. Facially, for instance, she’s able to beautifully express the music and then change it seamlessly into the telling of the story.

The challenges here are greater in that there’s a very strong dramatic story, the final, intense encounter from a love drama, to music that wasn’t (I believe) composed for this work. It’s beautiful the way that Olga Smirnova, in particular, and the choreography weave this together.

The other key element, the artistic imagery, or Motion (and Sculpture), that I haven’t watched as carefully, is also quite challenging. Sometimes it blends itself easily with the story and the music. Other times when the Sculpture is extremely ‘flamboyant,’ such as in the overhead lifts, you can see the challenge of blending a true life situation with artistic ‘exuberance.’

It’s all quite interesting to see this being put together as well as being performed.

Edited by Buddy
5 hours ago, Buddy said:

. . . I’m continuing my viewing of the Bolshoi World Ballet Day rehearsal of Onegin with Olga Smirnova and Ruslan Skvortsov because it’s so beautiful and interesting. A good thing about videos is that you can watch for detail over and over. I mentioned in my last post about how Motion, Music and Emotion/Drama are distinct elements so well blended here.

One of the most impressive things that I’m noticing now is how Olga Smirnova is able to blend her acting with her response to the music. Facially, for instance, she’s able to beautifully express the music and then change it seamlessly into the telling of the story.

The challenges here are greater in that there’s a very strong dramatic story, the final, intense encounter from a love drama, to music that wasn’t (I believe) composed for this work. It’s beautiful the way that Olga Smirnova, in particular, and the choreography weave this together.

The other key element, the artistic imagery, or Motion (and Sculpture), that I haven’t watched as carefully, is also quite challenging. Sometimes it blends itself easily with the story and the music. Other times when the Sculpture is extremely ‘flamboyant,’ such as in the overhead lifts, you can see the challenge of blending a true life situation with artistic ‘exuberance.’ . . . 

Thanks for the heads-up on the Onegin rehearsal. I've been so busy I haven't had time to look at any of World Ballet Day material this year and I'm glad they're still on YouTube. I'm a huge Onegin fan having gone to the entire ABT run last year. I also have the Stuttgart CD and was able to save it digitally when they showed this last spring online. The interesting thing to me about rehearsals is seeing how they master the incredibly difficult partnering in this ballet. Cranko's partnering is so imaginative and thrilling - a real treasure.

Here's the link to the entire Bolshoi contribution. The Onegin segment comes in at 2:16.

The main, historic stage, theatre continues its one space between each two seats arrangement.  I can't really tell from the ticket sale's seating charts what maximum capacity it's allowing. The next January into February performances are in consecutive groups of approximately four, starting with Nureyev, Manon Lescaut and Le Corsaire. There's a full schedule through March.

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/timetable/?Y=2021&M=01

Here's tonight cast for Nureyev.

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/1025/roles/#20210122190000

Edited by Buddy