This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarasota Update to Fall 2020 Season

Sarasota Ballet has sent out the following email regarding changes to their upcoming season:

The Sarasota Ballet Announces an Important Update to our Fall Season in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic

The Company’s opening three programs of its 30th Anniversary Season will occur as specially devised and purposely filmed programs that will be streamed to ticket buyers.

The Sarasota Ballet today announces that we will be offering unique and specifically filmed performances that will be streamed to ticket buyers, and will replace in-theater performances for the first 3 programs of our 30th Anniversary Season. The decision to do so has been made in order to safeguard audience members, dancers, and staff from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, while also allowing the Company to continue to perform so that the audience will be able to experience remarkable ballets this coming Season.

“While we’re still finalizing the exact programming elements, this newly created Digital Fall Season is something we’re all excited about,” explains Iain Webb, Director of The Sarasota Ballet. “Our aim is to continue to bring breathtaking works to the stage and ensure that we’re keeping the safety of our dancers in mind. Therefore, as we start this new project, we will focus on ballets and works that have smaller casts in order to limit the number of dancers rehearsing together. Additionally, we are continuing to investigate other innovative performance experiences for audience members and patrons of The Sarasota Ballet.”

The Digital Fall Season will emulate as close as possible the traditional experience audience members expect from The Sarasota Ballet. Additionally, the streamed performances will include extra features to bring audience members behind the scenes with special guest interviews and rehearsal clips, and a look into the process of a world premiere. The three programs will be released to ticket holders at approximately the same dates that the three in-theater programs were scheduled to open. The ballets will be filmed with multiple cameras to ensure audiences can see every aspect of the performance. These programs will then be emailed to ticket holders, who can watch the performance at their leisure over a period of time.

“Since the pandemic hit, we’ve worked tirelessly to support our dancers and staff through this extraordinary time,” says Joseph Volpe, Executive Director of The Sarasota Ballet. “It’s the reason why, after we cancelled most of our Spring Season, we continued to pay all our dancers through to the end of their contracts. As we open this newly created Digital Fall Season, we hope that our audience members will engage with these performances, and our donors will remain steadfast in their investment in this great Company.”

Webb adds, “Even though there are still relative unknowns at play, we are still planning on bringing all the dancers back in January, and we all look forward to theaters fully opening in the New Year.”

Full programming details for the October, November, and December programs will be announced in the future. Subscribers who currently have tickets for the first three programs of The Sarasota Ballet’s 30th Anniversary Season will be contacted shortly regarding their ticketing options.

29 minutes ago, fiddleback said:

Sarasota Ballet has sent out the following email regarding changes to their upcoming season:

The Sarasota Ballet Announces an Important Update to our Fall Season in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic

The Company’s opening three programs of its 30th Anniversary Season will occur as specially devised and purposely filmed programs that will be streamed to ticket buyers. . . .
Full programming details for the October, November, and December programs will be announced in the future. Subscribers who currently have tickets for the first three programs of The Sarasota Ballet’s 30th Anniversary Season will be contacted shortly regarding their ticketing options.

I have been hoping that companies would try this. I'll be curious to see how much they charge to watch these.  From their web site, these are the three programs:

PURITY IN MOTION (Program 1)

23 – 25 October 2020
FSU Center for the Performing Arts

George Balanchine's Donizetti Variations
Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa
Paul Taylor's Company B

BEYOND EXPRESSION (Program 2)

20 – 21 November 2020
Sarasota Opera House

Sir Frederick Ashton's Birthday Offering
Sir Frederick Ashton's Dante Sonata
Sir David Bintley's The Spider's Feast

ROMEO & JULIET (Program 3)
18 – 19 December 2020
Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall

Sir Frederick Ashton's Romeo & Juliet
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev

Sarasota Ballet has just announced that tickets are on sale for their fall digital season. Very impressive, especially the Ashton Program I

https://mailchi.mp/03b81d43e9af/30th-anniversary-digital-fall-season-programming-tickets?e=68308311cb

The Sarasota Ballet's Digital Fall Season
Tickets and Subscriptions Available!

The Sarasota Ballet is ecstatic to announce that tickets for our Digital Fall Season, encompassing the first three programs of our 30th Anniversary Season, are officially available! Each program of our Digital Fall Season has been designed around a specific balletic theme, to deliver an artistic experience comparable to that of our in-person programs. Our inaugural Digital Program celebrates the choreographic creations of Sir Frederick Ashton, featuring a collection of solos, pas de deux, and extracts that highlight Ashton's unique synthesis of classical technique, musicality, and narrative flair.

Our Digital Programs also include extra features to bring audience members behind the scenes, such as special guest interviews, rehearsal clips, and more. On scheduled dates corresponding to our standard Season schedule, these Programs will be emailed to ticket holders, who can watch the performance at their leisure over a period of five days.
Digital single tickets for each program are available for sale on our website for $35. If you would like to see all three programs of our Digital Fall Season, a discounted Digital Subscription option is also available for $90.

Full Season and Flex Four Ballet Subscribers (excluding Digital Subscribers) of The Sarasota Ballet will additionally gain exclusive access to a look into the process of creating and rehearsing a ballet world premiere.
Click Here to Buy Single Tickets
Click Here to Buy The Digital Fall Subscription

How to Watch

On the morning of the Performance release, all ticket buyers will receive a personalized private link that will enable you to view the Program from the comfort of your home via the Vimeo media platform. To watch using your television, you can connect your computer via a video cable such as an HDMI cable, depending on your computer's video out connections. Verify the manufacture and model of your computer in advance, to determine which cable you will need. In addition, you can watch each Program on your smartphone or tablet (such as an iPad), and even wirelessly connect these devices to certain televisions (such as Smart TVs) to experience ballet in your home theater environment without plugging in additional devices.

a53be534-2cbb-4e39-984e-b12dececb8ab.jpg

Digital Program 1 - 23 October 2020

Featuring performances and excerpts of Sir Frederick Ashton's:

Meditation from Thaïs - first performed by Dame Antoinette Sibley and Sir Anthony Dowell 21 March 1971, to music by Jules Massenet

Monotones II - first performed by The Royal Ballet 24 March 1965, to music by Erik Satie orchestrated by Claude Debussy and Alexis Roland-Manuel

Façade, Extracts - first performed by the Camargo Society 26 April 1931, set to William Walton's score originally created as a setting for the poetry of Edith Sitwell

Romeo & Juliet, Balcony pas de deux - first performed by Royal Danish Ballet 19 May 1955, to music by Serge Prokofiev

La chatte métamorphosée en femme - first performed by Merle Park 31 March 1985, to music by Jacques Offenbach arranged by Philip Gammon

The Sleeping Beauty, Vision Solo - first performed by Sadler's Wells Ballet 20 February 1946, to music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Les Patineurs, Extracts - first performed by Vic-Wells Ballet 16 February 1937, to music by Giacomo Meyerbeer arranged by Constant Lambert

Additional content includes rehearsal footage, along with coaching and an interview with retired British ballet dancer and former Artistic Director of The Royal Ballet Sir Anthony Dowell

Single Tickets to Digital Program 1
0295b561-5534-4ddb-9b91-15e9532183d5.jpg

Digital Program 2 - 20 November 2020

Featuring performances and excerpts of the works of George Balanchine, such as:

Tarantella - first performed by New York City Ballet 7 January 1964, to music by Louis Moreau Gottschalk reorchestrated by Hershy Kay

The Four Temperaments, Extracts - first performed by Ballet Society 20 November 1946, to music by Paul Hindemith

Donizetti Variations, pas de deux - first performed by New York City Ballet 16 November 1960, to music by Gaetano Donizetti from the opera Don Sebastien

Additional content to be announced

Single Tickets to Digital Program 2
8b9dfb8d-0680-47bd-8ca7-1ab58b270440.jpg

Digital Program 3 - 18 December 2020

Programming and additional content to be announced
Single Tickets to Digital Program 3
1d9c8c78-6011-4e52-b53b-a3600b66095e.jpg
Find out more on our website!
3e16e8f0-b2e5-4264-97c5-ca1752192954.jpg

I bought the three-performance digital subscription and just watched the first program, all Ashton. What a treat! I had planned on seeing them at the Joyce last August, but that was cancelled, of course. I'm glad to see that several companies are figuring out how to bring in some revenue and keep their dancers employed with these digital programs. The way things are evolving, this might be all we see in spring 2021 as well.

Hmmmmmm....

I was thinking of buying a "ticket" to the Ashton program (program 1), but it says "Sold Out". How can a streamed digital program sell out? It also says that the program is available for a "period of time". Anyone know for how long that is?

9 minutes ago, SandyMcKean said:

Hmmmmmm....

I was thinking of buying a "ticket" to the Ashton program (program 1), but it says "Sold Out". How can a streamed digital program sell out? It also says that the program is available for a "period of time". Anyone know for how long that is?

This first program is available through October 27 - perhaps the cut off time has been reached?

1 hour ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

This first program is available through October 27 - perhaps the cut off time has been reached?

My link is still working. Perhaps they stopped selling access before today.

2 hours ago, SandyMcKean said:

Hmmmmmm....

I was doing the same. Saw that access for first program was through today. Oh well, they missed out on $90.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

I was doing the same. Saw that access for first program was through today. Oh well, they missed out on $90.

It was $90 for the three-program series. Individual ones are $35. If they're smart, they'll do an encore for the Ashton program, which is by far the most unique offering.

3 hours ago, California said:

It was $90 for the three-program series. Individual ones are $35. If they're smart, they'll do an encore for the Ashton program, which is by far the most unique offering.

Yes, I am aware of the price. I was going to buy the three-program package. Hope you're right on an encore but I doubt they will. 

Speaking of comfort food! The second digital program by Sarasota Ballet premiered today and is available through Tuesday. All Balanchine! Tarantella + excerpts from Donizetti, 4Ts, Who Cares, Western. There are so many young, well-trained dancers in the US, that it's great they have opportunities to perform at these smaller regional companies. I hope those companies survive COVID. I'm sure people who enjoy a steady diet of NYCB performances could nitpick details of their performance, but this is a wonderful treat for audience and dancers alike.

The final program has been announced for December. I'm not familiar with most of these pieces, but the choreographers are well-regarded, and it looks promising:

Digital Program 3

Featuring performances and excerpts of works including:

• Christopher Wheeldon's The American
  • Sir Matthew Bourne's The Infernal Galop, Merman Solo
  • Sir Peter Wright's The Mirror Walkers
  • Sir Peter Wright's Summertide
  • Dominic Walsh's Clair de Lune
  • Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto
  • Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa, pas de deux
  • Additional one-act ballet and extra content to be announced.

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/digital-fall-season-2020