Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
California

Kennedy Center 2021 dance/ballet season

Recommended Posts

Kennedy Center has just announced a spring 2021 dance/ballet season, including NYCB and ABT. I hope they can make this happen!

But I have to note that the American Historical Association just cancelled their January convention in Seattle and the College Art Association cancelled their February annual meeting in NYC. Not identical formats, of course, but those meetings are  not cancelled on a whim, given the hotel penalties they pay and their loss of revenue. (Both meetings will be held virtually.)

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/season-announcement/2021-ballet-dance-season/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems to be the key requirement for the Kennedy Center season to happen:

Full-capacity audiences will be allowed only if Washington has reached Phase 4, which requires the availability of a vaccine and/or treatment for covid-19. Rutter said the arts center will consider smaller audiences if guidelines require. Phase 3, for example, allows theaters to have up to 50 percent capacity but no more than 250 people. The city is currently in Phase 2.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/kennedy-center-plans-return-to-large-scale-performances-in-january/2020/07/23/c63d7202-ccf1-11ea-bc6a-6841b28d9093_story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, California said:

Kennedy Center has just announced a spring 2021 dance/ballet season, including NYCB and ABT. I hope they can make this happen!

But I have to note that the American Historical Association just cancelled their January convention in Seattle and the College Art Association cancelled their February annual meeting in NYC. Not identical formats, of course, but those meetings are  not cancelled on a whim, given the hotel penalties they pay and their loss of revenue. (Both meetings will be held virtually.)

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/season-announcement/2021-ballet-dance-season/

A bit off topic, but CAA has not cancelled their annual meeting.

At this point they are making it a blended format, to incorporate online presentations, but hope to still have an in-person element, depending of course on the course of the pandemic

 

https://www.collegeart.org/news/2020/07/16/an-update-on-the-2021-annual-conference/?fbclid=IwAR2NZly-HHA2h9QEpSaJPQ1x9z3lNz_0g3NOhACDUB0udpMRkTbxYmihZx0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aurora said:

A bit off topic, but CAA has not cancelled their annual meeting.

At this point they are making it a blended format, to incorporate online presentations, but hope to still have an in-person element, depending of course on the course of the pandemic

 

https://www.collegeart.org/news/2020/07/16/an-update-on-the-2021-annual-conference/?fbclid=IwAR2NZly-HHA2h9QEpSaJPQ1x9z3lNz_0g3NOhACDUB0udpMRkTbxYmihZx0

I should not have said "cancelled." I meant switch to virtual. But the in-person part they talk about is very "iffy." (The historians are switching to virtual as well.) I'm working with a group sponsoring one of the CAA panels and the messages they've gotten suggest they will be virtual. 

Of course, the uncertainty of progress on the pandemic, cures, vaccines, etc. make planning awfully difficult for everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariinsky was supposed to return for its annual KC visit, but I guess they were scheduled for Fall  and couldn't arrange to reschedule for the Spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYCB schedule 3/23/--3/28/21 at KC is strange, that's when the company has the last week of the winter season.  Does that mean if there's a winter season it will be shortened or moved forward to early January?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mussel said:

NYCB schedule 3/23/--3/28/21 at KC is strange, that's when the company has the last week of the winter season.  Does that mean if there's a winter season it will be shortened or moved forward to early January?

The NYCB winter schedule opens January 19. An 8-week season would run through March 21. I don't find anything on their web page that it might be longer. What am I overlooking?

https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...