This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Companies/Organizations with Specific Plans for Reopening

So far, "bringing the dancers back" has been a rather limited, and limiting affair. Are there any North American companies inviting choreographers to create on their dancers in person at this time? It's all been remote, Zoom participation that I've seen/heard of. Are there any companies in group rehearsals for the upcoming season? I imagine everyone participating would have to sign an additional agreement(s) that they won't hold the ballet company responsible if the dancer/staff member/visiting choreographer/musician contracts Covid-19 while participating in the rehearsals. And there would have to be detailed plans about what to do when that (inevitably?) happens. The various unions would have to be in on the negotiations.

PNB has.  Jessica Lang has been choreographing in person for the Company.  Peter Boal described in his Conversations on Dance interview that she is moving between studios, each of which has a separate dancer pod.  Per this PNB Blog post from August:

Choreographer Jessica Lang is creating a new work for PNB this season, and rehearsals happen in various forms. There are dancers learning the work in the room, while others are on Zoom from other PNB studios, and even more dancers Zoom calling into rehearsals from home. Whereas the opposite is true for rehearsals for George Balanchine’s Emeralds. Rehearsal Director Anne Dabrowski calls in to Emeralds rehearsals from home while dancers Leta Biasucci and Elizabeth Murphy dance in the PNB studios.

Although the National Ballet of Canada isn't planning to resume its regular season until March 2021, it will perform Robert Binet's The Dreamers Ever Leave You at Toronto's Harbourfront Centre on October 9-17. The piece was originally performed at the Art Gallery of Ontario, and I imagine that this time the audience won't be allowed to wander through the room.

https://national.ballet.ca/Productions/The-Dreamers-Ever-Leave-You 

The company will also hold an open rehearsal of a new piece by Kevin A. Ormsby at the AGO on October 22 and 23. ("Rehearsals for Mr. Ormsby’s new work begin in mid-September.")

https://ago.ca/events/ago-live-national-ballet-canada 

It has also commissioned a piece from Jera Wolfe.

The choice of choreographers is considered. Ormsby is Black, Wolfe is Indigenous. Both are men.

Edited by volcanohunter

"Royal Ballet announces October comeback with 100 dancers

"Performance involving full company will feature duets thanks to couples in bubbles"

"The company already has three real-life couples in the shape of Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball, Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. It has created seven more bubbles to allow close contact including the superstar pairing of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov. Other pairs include Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano; Yasmine Naghdi and Nicol Edmonds; and Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli."

The performance on October 9th will be livestreamed for a charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/sep/23/royal-ballet-announces-october-comeback-with-100-dancers-and-duets 

26 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

"Royal Ballet announces October comeback with 100 dancers

"Performance involving full company will feature duets thanks to couples in bubbles"

"The company already has three real-life couples in the shape of Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball, Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. It has created seven more bubbles to allow close contact including the superstar pairing of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov. Other pairs include Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano; Yasmine Naghdi and Nicol Edmonds; and Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli."

The performance on October 9th will be livestreamed for a charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/sep/23/royal-ballet-announces-october-comeback-with-100-dancers-and-duets 

Here's the information on the Royal Ballet web site: https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-royal-ballet-back-on-stage-details

Impressive list of dancers, but I'm going to wait to see what they are performing. I would love to see some dazzling PdD that might be performed at a gala. 

I saw this today in the online Guardian:

The plan is to perform classic pieces by choreographers including Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, Frederick Ashton, Kenneth MacMillan and George Balanchine. Contemporary highlights will include work by Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon, Cathy Marston, Hofesh Shechter and Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.

The two-and-a-half-hour evening will finish with double the usual number of dancers in MacMillan’s feelgood showstopper Elite Syncopations.

......and.......

The company already has three real-life couples in the shape of Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball, Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. It has created seven more bubbles to allow close contact including the superstar pairing of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov. Other pairs include Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano; Yasmine Naghdi and Nicol Edmonds; and Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli.

Edited by SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Quote:

"The company already has three real-life couples in the shape of Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball, Francesca Hayward and Cesar ::, and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. It has created seven more bubbles to allow close contact including the superstar pairing of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov. Other pairs include Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano; Yasmine Naghdi and Nicol Edmonds; and Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli."

Seems like a good idea.

Added:

The Bolshoi may be having some problems.

“We understand that coronavirus has not gone anywhere, the epidemic is continuing,” said the Bolshoi’s general director, Vladimir Urin. “Unfortunately, in the current situation, it can become part of our everyday lives that at short notice we can no longer put things on.” He said the theatre was working to ensure there were always understudies available to avoid cancellations happening too often.

The Bolshoi is selling only 50% of the seats for all productions, and there are temperature checks on entry. Masks are meant to be mandatory, but at a performance of the ballet Romeo and Juliet last week, audio messages imploring people to wear masks were ignored by most in the audience. The bar during the intervals was packed with unmasked spectators enjoying champagne and cake.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/23/bolshois-return-stumbles-after-performers-test-positive-for-covid-19-russia

(Thanks to Jan McNulty at BalletcoForum)

Perhaps folks should keep an eye on the Kabuki Theatre in Japan which after about a month was still having live big groups on stage performances with large audiences. (Please see my September 7 post)

Edited by Buddy

I wonder how reliable the Royal Ballet's bubble of Akane Takada and Federico Bonelli can really be, since he is currently at La Scala dancing with Alessandra Ferri, in the "abandon" duet from Le Parc, no less.

(As for the Bolshoi's audience, not only are they not wearing masks, but video shows that during curtain calls they crowd around the orchestra pit, shoulder to shoulder, and shout out "bravo!", just like the old days. And then the claque visits the stage door area, in masks, but with what seems to me like precious little consideration for the artists they claim to love so dearly.)

7 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

(As for the Bolshoi's audience, not only are they not wearing masks, but video shows that during curtain calls they crowd around the orchestra pit, shoulder to shoulder, and shout out "bravo!", just like the old days. And then the claque visits the stage door area, in masks, but with what seems to me like precious little consideration for the artists they claim to love so dearly.)

Who knows, maybe Russia really does have a magic vaccine that has won the war on Covid. But I'm very nervous about these companies. 

Edited by Leah

"Moscow Mayor Urges Companies To Let Employees Work From Home As Coronavirus Cases Rise"

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has asked Russia’s top companies operating in the capital to again have some employees work from home after new daily cases of COVID-19 reached a three-month high...

The number of daily new infections from the coronavirus in Moscow rose on September 24 to 1,055, the highest since June, RBK reported. It represents a nearly 60 percent increase since the middle of September. Hospitalizations in the capital have also increased.

https://www.rferl.org/a/moscow-mayor-urges-companies-to-let-employees-work-from-home-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/30856427.html

The opera house in Perm is closing for two weeks as of tomorrow. The administrative staff will be working from home, artists will shelter in place, and the theater will undergo a deep clean. At present only 2 employees have tested positive, but infections are rising in the area, which presumably puts the audience at risk.

(Sorry, as far as I can tell this information hasn't been posted in English yet.)

https://www.permopera.ru/media/mediatec/93121/

Oopera Baletti [Finnish National Opera and Ballet] is performing Le Corsaire right now in Finland. It looks to me like a reduced-size production:

https://oopperabaletti.fi/en/repertoire-and-tickets/le-corsaire/

The dancers are appearing sans mask, but the audience members have to observe certain social distancing rules:

Edited by pherank