This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Greek words for Ballet, Ballerina

This question doesn't really belong in any particular forum category, but if there are any Greek speakers/writers on the forum, I would be interested to know why these two words are spelled and pronounced the way that they are:

μπαλέτο
μπαλαρίνα

Why do the words begin with mu [μ] followed by pi [π]?
It is my understanding that these are Greek translations(?) of the Italian terms balletto, balerin - is that true? Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, pherank said:

This question doesn't really belong in any particular forum category, but if there are any Greek speakers/writers on the forum, I would be interested to know why these two words are spelled and pronounced the way that they are:

μπαλέτο
μπαλαρίνα

Why do the words begin with mu [μ] followed by pi [π]?
It is my understanding that these are Greek translations(?) of the Italian terms balletto, balerin - is that true? Thanks for any help.

There are a lot of nifty web sites that let you hear proper pronunciation of foreign languages. Start with Google: Greek pronunciation

I like this one: https://forvo.com/languages/el/

Because in modern Greek the letter β (beta) is pronounced like V, not B. In order to represent the sound B, the letter combination μπ is used. 

Likewise, the letter δ (delta) is now pronounced like a voiced TH. In order to represent a D sound, the letter combination ντ is used.

And since γ (gamma) is almost never pronounced like a hard G, the letter combination γκ is used in foreign borrowings.

Edited by volcanohunter
3 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Because in modern Greek the letter β (beta) is pronounced like V, not B. In order to represent the sound B, the letter combination μπ is used. 

Likewise, the letter δ (delta) is now pronounced like a voiced TH. In order to represent a D sound, the letter combination ντ is used.

And since γ (gamma) is almost never pronounced like a hard G, the letter combination γκ is used in foreign borrowings.

Thank you!
Do you know anything about the reasoning behind choosing μπ for "b" (or ντ for "d")?

Here I'm on thin ice because I studied the historical phonology of the Slavic languages, not Greek, but probably because P is the voiceless counterpart of B, and T is the voiceless counterpart of D. 

But my favorite spelling that resulted from these shifts is Μπαρμπάντος (Mparmpantos = Barbados). 

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

Here I'm on thin ice because I studied the historical phonology of the Slavic languages, not Greek, but probably because P is the voiceless counterpart of B, and T is the voiceless counterpart of D. 

But my favorite spelling that resulted from these shifts is Μπαρμπάντος (Mparmpantos = Barbados). 

That melts my adult brain.  ;)
Oh to be a child and just sponge up language without trying to reason my way through it.

Quote by pherank: "Oh to be a child and just sponge up language without trying to reason my way through it." 

Oh, my, yes! 

It appears that Greek has quite a phonetically logical pronunciation; especially compared to English.  😛

-d-

On 6/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, volcanohunter said:

Oh, I know! But from the point of view of how those consonants are produced, the combinations make sense: the lips striking against each other in the case of b, p and m, and the tongue touching the alveolar ridge in the case of d, t and n.

IPA-chart.jpg

Thanks for this, Volcanohunter. I can see what you mean about the phonetic logic of these choices.

10 hours ago, diane said:

Quote by pherank: "Oh to be a child and just sponge up language without trying to reason my way through it." 

Oh, my, yes! 

It appears that Greek has quite a phonetically logical pronunciation; especially compared to English.  😛

Hi Diane, it's been a while!
The English language is such an amalgamation, and it may continue to morph at a fantastic rate due to its widespread use. At least it's musical as languages go (and I like anything musical!).
But definitely difficult to master even for us native speakers.

EDIT:

I just recalled a joke by a comedian (which one I've forgotten) -

The French language is developed by a council known as les immortels at the Académie Française. American English is developed by junior high school students.

Edited by pherank

Yeah, pherank, it has been awhile. :) I am still here.... just getting more wrinkled and greyer. 

It is indeed very interesting how different cultures (try to) control how their languages grow and evolve. The German-speakers also seem to be very keen on keeping things orderly, though perhaps not quite to the extent the French council tries to do. 

(I did live in Greece for a few years quite some time ago, but I did not ever hear if they had such a council to decide about how to develop the language...) 

-d-

On 7/6/2020 at 5:20 AM, diane said:

Yeah, pherank, it has been awhile. :) I am still here.... just getting more wrinkled and greyer.

I know all about that, and it's cramping my style! Definitely a design flaw in the machine. Too bad the warranty has expired.  😉