Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB cancels Fall 2020 and Nutcracker seasons


Recommended Posts

Actually the production value was very high with sophisticated camerawork, editing, and sound quality; not like the archive footage they've been showing. This may have been a collaboration with Marquee TV from the beginning, or maybe the company produced it on their own with plans to sell streaming rights at some point. If they were simply drawing from archive footage, they probably would have better performances to choose from. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, JuliaJ said:

Actually the production value was very high with sophisticated camerawork, editing, and sound quality; not like the archive footage they've been showing. This may have been a collaboration with Marquee TV from the beginning, or maybe the company produced it on their own with plans to sell streaming rights at some point. If they were simply drawing from archive footage, they probably would have better performances to choose from. 

Interesting to hear. Now I'm more interested in figuring out how to watch it. I would have thought Sara Mearns would be the go-to Sugarplum Fairy. Is the camerawork distracting?

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Interesting to hear. Now I'm more interested in figuring out how to watch it. I would have thought Sara Mearns would be the go-to Sugarplum Fairy. Is the camerawork distracting?

No I didn't find it distracting; it showed off the dancing effectively while making the party scene feel appropriately cinematic. No jarring zooms or pans like you see in some dance films. There was one moment in the middle of the SPF solo where the camera cuts to close ups of the angels' faces, but that might have been strategic to conceal a wobble or something. 

Link to comment
On 12/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, JuliaJ said:

No I didn't find it distracting; it showed off the dancing effectively while making the party scene feel appropriately cinematic. No jarring zooms or pans like you see in some dance films.

Watched it last night and I agree.  Very enjoyable.  I only wish, as I'm sure all of us do, that I could have attended a performance this year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Link to comment
On 11/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, California said:

More Nutcrackers than I can digest in the next month!

  • Amazon Prime:  Included: Baryshnikov, Slovak National Ballet + several more with a charge or another subscription
  • Netflix: Dance Dreams: Hot Chocolate Nutcracker (documentary with Debbie Allen)
  • Medici (offering a one-year subscription for $51!): Mariinsky (with Somova and Shklyarov); NYCB (with Fairchild and De Luz); Staatsoper Berlin (1999)
  • DirectTV: Czech National Ballet
  • PBS: local stations are airing local companies in Boston and Colorado -- are there more?
  • Marquee.tv  (it overlaps so much with Medici in Ballet, I decided to skip it for now - $60/yr on a new subscription): NYCB (Kowroski/Angle); Royal Ballet (Hayward, Cuthbertson, Bonelli); Moscow Ballet
  • Disney+: No Nutcrackers that I can see. I'm thinking of a one-month subscription to see Hamilton and the SAB documentary series

I enthusiastically recommend the SAB documentary, On Pointe. It has casting for Nutcracker and the performance process, and follows a number of students, quite young - D class, through the 2019-20 school year. You see a couple of young women receive their apprenticeships. It's a very positive look at the school and the students' pride and joy at being there.
 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, California said:

If people wonder about the source, Tiler described the symptoms as "covid-like" on Instagram yesterday. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJX148AFZdx/

I'm sorry to hear she's not feeling well. I hope she's being monitored daily and getting plenty of fluids and proper nutrition. Tiler mentions that she tested negative for Covid-19 [I'm not sure when exactly she was tested - and which test she was given - in relation to her experiencing symptoms], but unfortunately the tests offered are not infallible. There have been instances of people taking a virus test and testing negative and then displaying obvious symptoms within a few days.

Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...