This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

COVID-19 Streaming — Opera edition

The Zurich Opera is livestreaming its prodution of Boris Godunov right now.

https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/spielplan/oper-fuer-alle-digital/boris-godunow-ofa/

What's interesting is that conductor Kirill Karabits and the chorus and orchestra are off site (but also being streamed).

The opera can be watched on demand for 48 hours starting tomorrow morning from 8 am CET.

38 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

What's interesting is that conductor Kirill Karabits and the chorus and orchestra are off site (but also being streamed).

Thank you for the link! I just watched for a few minutes switching between the various live views and it's really kinda cool. I'll try to catch the whole thing before they take it down.

I suppose it's reminiscent of the Andrea Andermann real-time and on-location telecasts of Tosca, La traviata and Rigoletto. In those performances the conductor and orchestra worked from a studio. Here it would be a matter of giving the audience in the theater a satisfactory orchestral sound.

I watched the Boris Godunov twice in a row.  The singing was fantastic.  Michael Volle has a gorgeous voice.  The opera world is in great hands with all of the great young tenors: Spencer Lang sang the Fool beautifully after playing the loutish sidekick in Die Csardasfurstin from Friday. If they produce a DVD of this, I would buy it in a second.

My German is barely there, but I think the host was giving the sound guy a hard time in the interview about whether it could work.  I'm sure she asked the boy soprano who sang Boris Godunov's son what he wanted to be when he grows up, because, apparently, there's nothing else you can ask a younger person.

I've been dipping in and out of the Zurich Opera's Maria Stuarda while I flail away at some tedious admin, and I've been enjoying it. 

Two thumbs way, way up for the masked supernumeraries. I'm not sure how effective those masks are in protecting them from whatever virus particles may be hitching a ride on the aerosol clouds the singers are inevitably producing, but it's a nice public health reminder anyway.

They've extended the streaming time.  Unfortunately, the Boris Godunov extension is only until 11am PT/2pm ET.  But if you start before then, it might stream through if you don't interrupt it, and the first 30 minutes is filler.

Fujiwara Opera's Carmen 0n August  15&17th can be watched free with English subtitles. It was one of the first opera performances to be resumed in Japan after the COVID-19 pandemic.  

This might be considered more of a dance performance, but Rameau's Les Indes Galantes at Bayerische Staatsoper, directed and choreographed by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. It can be watched for 3 months. 

15 hours ago, Helene said:

To the ballet music that Balanchine used in Ballo della Regina, I think Jonas Kaufmann just showed up in the living room of a Russian opera I saw this past summer..  The wallpaper looks awfully familiar.

It's really a shame that the production includes a pantomime rather than a ballet. Is watching Kaufmann making a fool of himself in Eboli's suburban dream of domestic bliss really preferable?

31 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

It's really a shame that the production includes a pantomime rather than a ballet. Is watching Kaufmann making a fool of himself in Eboli's suburban dream of domestic bliss really preferable?

And that would never be Eboli's dream in the first place.  Her dream would be more palatial and include servants.  What a stupid message that all women dream in their heart of hearts to be 1950's American housewives.

4 hours ago, Helene said:

And that would never be Eboli's dream in the first place.  Her dream would be more palatial and include servants.  What a stupid message that all women dream in their heart of hearts to be 1950's American housewives.

Yeah, no, it's not working for me either. Eboli wants power, not appliances. 

For its paid season, Vancouver Opera has produced its first digital offering of the 2020-21 season, a one-woman work, Poulenc's La Voix Humaine, with soprano Mirelle Lebel, and in place of the orchestra was a marvelous piano transcription played by Kinza Tyrrell:

https://digital.vancouveropera.ca/la-voix-humaine/

It's the first of four planned offerings.  Cost is $99 CAD (for the four-work season).

Houston Grand Opera is streaming content called HGO Digital.  Streaming is offered for free, but registration is required.  It is also offered through a Marquee TV subscription, for which there is a $45 first year cost ($89.99/year thereafter) through October using this link.  The current production, which launched last Friday night, is David T. Little's and Royce Vavrek's Vinkensport (The Finch Sport.)   Later in the season Jamie Barton will perform Julia Child in Lee Hoiby's Bon Appetit!, which will be directed by Ryan McKinney. 

Marquee TV has core content, including ballet, modern dance, opera, and theatre, while also hosting additional content that is charged separately, like the past week's San Francisco International Film Festival, which, among other films, streamed a documentary about the great Gwen Verdon and the BBC recording of Crystal Pite's Revizor, based on Gogol's The Inspector General.  

New National Theatre of Japan is currently streaming Turandot as a part of World Opera Day.

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/productions/opera/project/NNTT-WOD2020-Turandot.html

Until 30 October, 17:00 pm JST (UTC +9), with English subtitles.

Turandot: Iréne THEORIN
Calaf: Teodor ILINCĂI
Liù: NAKAMURA Eri
Timur: Riccardo ZANELLATO

Conductor: ONO Kazushi
Production: Àlex OLLÉ

Currently the Vienna State Opera is streaming Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci. It was the theater's last performance before the current mini-lockdown.

In less than an hour it will begin streaming a performance of Evgeni Onegin from October 31st. This will be followed by Orlando on November 7, Romeo et Juliette on November 8 and Tosca on November 9.

Viewers are required to log in, but the streams are free of charge.

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at

Edited by volcanohunter

The Vienna State Opera's streaming schedule for the rest of the week.

November 10 - Eötvös' Tri Sestri
November 11 - Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann
November 12 - Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana & Leoncavallo's Pagliacci
November 13 - Adès' The Tempest
November 14 - Massenet's Manon
November 15 - R. Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos
November 16 - Donizetti's Anna Bolena

Upcoming streams from the Vienna State Opera, starting at 19:00 CET / 1:00 pm Eastern

November 17 - Arabella
November 18 - Salome
November 19 - Les Troyens
November 20 - Der Rosenkavalier (the 1994 Kleiber film)
November 21 - Ariadne auf Naxos
November 22 - Don Carlos
November 23 - Elektra
November 24 - Swan Lake

Streams from the Vienna State Opera for the next week, beginning at 19:00 CET (1:00 pm Eastern)

December 7 - John Neumeier's Le Pavillon d'Armide and Le Sacre
December 8 - La fanciulla del West
December 9 - Anna Bolena
December 10 - Werther (broadcasting live on medici.tv)
December 11 - Adriana Lecouvreur
December 12 - Swan Lake
December 13 - Tosca (live)
December 14 - Das verratene Meer (live)