This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Danish Ballet season 2020/21

The RDB has announced its programme for next season, apparently in the expectation of being able to run a full season starting at the beginning of September.

Ballets  include:

Come Fly Away (Twyla Tharp)

Cinderella (Gregory Dean)

La Sylphide (new production)

Balanchine's Nutcracker

Romeo and Juliet (Neumeier)

Serenade/ Sibelius 4 (Jorma Elo)/Etudes

Blixen (Gregoery Dean)

Napoli

La Bayadere

Dans2G0 programme - works by Sebastian Kloborg, Peter Martins (Zakouski), Neumeier and Hofesh Shechter

Principal dancer Amy Watson will give her farewell performance as Teresina in Napoli

Full details in the season book

Interesting that Hubbe is doing a back-to-Bournonville Sylphide, replacing the last all-grey version also by him.

I think a lot of people, including the dancers, were hoping to see Neumeier#s Mahler 3 - which was cancelled 2 days before its RDB premiere in March - getting another chance.

Also  I missed the announcement that Kizzy Matiakis is also retiring next season, and will give her farewell on April 22nd in the title role, created for her, in Blixen.

In 2004 Hubbe did a traditional staging for Ballet Arizona's La Sylphide -- under Ib Andersen's oversight -- and it was lovely.  Unfortunately the Arizona Republic article with quotes from Hubbe is no longer available at it's original link, and I can't find it by searching, at least with my non-subscriber status, but Alexandra excerpted the following from it when she posted back then:

"I have no use for productions of story ballets that do not recognize the importance of the story," says Nikolaj Hübbe, the New York City Ballet principal dancer who has staged Sylphide for Ballet Arizona.

"To see a story ballet only choreographically or musically - well, why on earth do a story ballet, then?"

Watson and Matiakis retiring feels like a big change.

I was intrigued by the "new" La Sylphide too. I rather hope they opt for a more "romantic"--ie traditional--approach. There is a reason that ballet has lasted and it's not all luck-of-the-draw....