This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, May 3

dirac

A review of the Royal Ballet in "The Winter's Tale" by MaryamPhilpott for The Reviews Hub.

The lockdown has brought us many treats from the archive, but few are as utterly enchanting as Christopher Wheeldon’s 2014 production of The Winter’s Tale performed by the Royal Ballet and filmed with considerable care at the Royal Opera House. Now streaming on the Royal Opera House’s Facebook page as part of its Our House to Your House content, across three Acts and two hours this is a rare opportunity to lose yourself in a delightful ballet adaptation of Shakespeare’s play.

A review of the Royal New Zealand Ballet by Madelyn Coupe for the Fjord Review.

Prior’s “Hansel and Gretel” may not have been initially programmed for 2020, but it is a smart choice to launch the RNZB’s digital season. It presents a world, unlike our own at the moment—one that is sweet, vibrant, and delicious. A perfect slice of ballet to distract audiences from reality, even if it is just for a minute.

A review of "The Legat Legacy," edited by Mindy Aloff, by Mary Cargill for danceviewtimes.

The second half of the book "Heritage of a Ballet Master", was compiled in 1977 by the writer, dancer, and teacher John Gregory, with André Eglevsky, and is a collection of reminiscences by some dancers and students who studied with him in England.  One of the most famous, Eglevsky, was sent by Massine (who, Eglevsky writes, "was perhaps the most ardent student of us all").  Eglevksy credits Legat with giving him his pirouettes, and writes that thanks to that he was able to eat when he came to the U.S.  "To ensure that I would be able to buy my lunch, I used to wager Mr. Balanchine I would turn twelve pirouettes for him. I never went hungry."