This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dutch National Ballet 2002-2003 Season

liebs

When I was in Amsterdam, I picked up a copy of the schedule for next season, which I thought might be of interest.

There are a number of premieres by choreographers whose work I don't know - they include Ted Brandsen (Carmen), Krzysztof Pastor (short piece and an evening length work to the music of Kurt Weill) and David Dawson.

Hans van Manen is represented by 5 Tangos.

Other full length works include Rudi van Dantzig's Romeo and Juliet, and Nutcracker, which is choreographed by Wayne Eagling and Toer van Schayk.

There is a program called "New York Masters", which includes Robbins's The Concert, Serenade and Martha Graham's Acts of Light.

A very eclectic repertoire and one that, I think, would give the company a strong artistic profile. Although that profile would not be that of a "classical company."

If I remember correctly, the Dutch National Ballet is one of the non-American companies with the largest number of Balanchine works in its repertory (so performing only "Serenade" next season isn't much). Also they seem to have a few works by Ashton (this season, they performed "Symphonic variations" and "Cinderella"- strange to think that it is in fact more than what the Royal Ballet will perform next season... :) )

Their official site is there:

http://www.het-nationale-ballet.nl/new/index.html

"On 16 and 17 May 2003 Het Nationale Ballet guests at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, near Paris. The Company showcases Four Sections by Associate Artistic Director and House Choreographer Ted Brandsen, In Light and Shadow by Krzysztof Pastor, and Hans van Manen's Adagio Hammerklavier and a pas de deux from his Three pieces for Het. Both performances are already sold out! "

Funny, that the website says that the performances are sold out, whereas the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines states that tickets only go on sale a month beforehand...I suppose they meant the subscriptions... but still, not a very good idea to put a statement like that on the site, one could have been easily discouraged ! Wonder if Sylve will be au rendez-vous ? ;)