Leah

Digital Spring Season

I think it would have helped Devin Alberda if he was taller. When they last promoted that big batch in 2018, it seemed like they needed a "flagship soloist" or two from the long-term, reliable corps men. I thought it might be Alberda or Applebaum, and it was Applebaum. I suspect part of that was Applebaum's height, which makes him more versatile.

Putting in a plug for Brahms.  I've only seen clips from it and would love to see the full piece!   Not to get too greedy though: City Ballet's spring season is the highlight of my quarantine.

1 hour ago, JuliaJ said:

Tweeting not-so-nice things about your boss and a mega-donor of the organization won't help anyone's career (however valid the comments). 

I note that that incident was nine years ago,  when social media was somewhat new.  Perhaps today's dancers are more aware that a company like NYCB is a corporate enterprise,  and dissing your boss and a mega-donor online is not acceptable business behavior.  Google fired an engineer for writing a memo questioning their diversity initiatives.  I do think the article was over-the-top - requiring A!berda to get permission from dancers before photographing them is hardly "draconian".  But that's the Daily Mail for you.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, On Pointe said:

I do think the article was over-the-top...

Hah. Just a bit.

What a tweet! New York Ballet bosses censor postings after star mocks director  and 'silently boos' $100 million donor

I like Devin Alberda's dancing as much as others who've posted about him here, but he's not a star, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in 2011 either. (Correct me if I'm wrong. I was paying more attention to ABT than to NYCB back then.)

Edited by nanushka

10 minutes ago, nanushka said:

What a tweet! New York Ballet bosses censor postings after star mocks director  and 'silently boos' $100 million donor

Ha, amazing! Imagine having the confidence to write a headline like that. So silly. 

7 hours ago, nanushka said:

I like Devin Alberda's dancing as much as others who've posted about him here, but he's not a star

Well, that certainly hasn't been an impediment to promotion to date. There have been quite a few not stars in NYCB's soloist and principal ranks.

I'm not saying that Alberda should have been promoted, just that "star quality" hasn't seemed to be integral to the company's decision making in this regard.

Does anyone know how to find this ?

"....each class will also be available after the livestream is complete on NYCB’s IGTV channel."

WEDNESDAY WITH WENDY

Beginning Wednesday, April 22 at 5 PM EDT, join us for Wednesday With Wendy, a series of ballet-inspired movement classes taught by NYCB Associate Artistic Director Wendy Whelan on Instagram Live. Suitable for people of all ages and levels of training, each class will also be available after the livestream is complete on NYCB’s IGTV channel.

38 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Does anyone know how to find this ?

"....each class will also be available after the livestream is complete on NYCB’s IGTV channel."

WEDNESDAY WITH WENDY

Beginning Wednesday, April 22 at 5 PM EDT, join us for Wednesday With Wendy, a series of ballet-inspired movement classes taught by NYCB Associate Artistic Director Wendy Whelan on Instagram Live. Suitable for people of all ages and levels of training, each class will also be available after the livestream is complete on NYCB’s IGTV channel.

I believe what they mean is to go to the NYCB Instagram page, and look for the IGTV icon just above the grid of images, and click on that to access the various archived videos. The "live" one would be in the first position in the grid of thumbnails.

Here's a direct link to their video channel on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/nycballet/channel/?hl=en

Posted (edited)

I am thrilled about this digital season. I live in France now and quite far from any major ballet company, but I very much miss all the Balanchine ballets and style of dancing, so this is fantastic. I'm also so excited to finally be able to watch some ballets I've heard so much about (and on the podcast!), but never caught live with Miami City Ballet or during sporadic trips to NYC.

I just finished watching Allegro Brillante and Tiler Peck is as magnificent as ever. Dazzling. Like someone above said, that's an understatement. She's so fast and precise in everything she does, and she makes it look effortless.

This was such a lovely ballet, and I'm so happy this was made available. What a treat. It was also nice to see Cameron Dieck in there, who has since retired. 

I can't wait to watch what's next (Apollo!).

Edited by sohalia

I watched Allegro Brillante as soon as I got up this Friday morning. What a wonderful, life-affirming beginning to the weekend!

For me, this period of time is very busy and I can't find the time to watch the full-length ballets that the European companies are offering, so the shorter ballets NYCB and Ailey are streaming are perfect. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Well, that certainly hasn't been an impediment to promotion to date. There have been quite a few not stars in NYCB's soloist and principal ranks.

I'm not saying that Alberda should have been promoted, just that "star quality" hasn't seemed to be integral to the company's decision making in this regard.

Oh no, of course not. I was simply agreeing with @On Pointe that the Daily Mail article was “over the top,” and citing its headline (which called Alberda a “star” of the company) as an example. He was in the corps and I’m sure quite promising, but the article was going for something considerably more dramatic.

Edited by nanushka

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

Oh no, of course not. I was simply agreeing with @On Pointe that the Daily Mail article was “over the top,” and citing its headline (which called Alberda a “star” of the company) as an example. He was in the corps and I’m sure quite promising, but the article was going for something considerably more dramatic.

Apologies! I didn't read the article, so I completely missed the reference. No, Alberda was never star. But he was and remains a bright light in the corps.

9 hours ago, pherank said:

I believe what they mean is to go to the NYCB Instagram page, and look for the IGTV icon just above the grid of images, and click on that to access the various archived videos. The "live" one would be in the first position in the grid of thumbnails.

Here's a direct link to their video channel on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/nycballet/channel/?hl=en

It doesn't seem to be there.

4 hours ago, aurora said:

It doesn't seem to be there.

Classes are apparently at 5 PM EDT/ 3pm PDT. So the archive of the class would 'theoretically' be posted not long afterwards. But it's entirely up to their media team to process the video for release on Instagram. I couldn't say why it wouldn't be up 2 days later.

Well Rotunda wasn't my favorite Justin Peck and I'm actually surprised they chose it instead of Rodeo or Times Are Racing, but I did enjoy seeing the duet between Adrian Danchig-Waring and Miriam Miller and the duet between Sara Mearns and Gil Bolden.

Rotunda seemed a weak Peck piece to me. He's a skilled choreographer so there was a strong structure. Within that structure, however, everything seemed busy to the point of losing focus. Arms and legs were flailing pretty non-stop. I actually thought most of the dancers didn't look very good in it. The exceptions were Ulbricht and Garcia, who were able to shape and phrase in ways that allowed the eye to engage. At least that's how I saw it.

18 hours ago, sohalia said:

I am thrilled about this digital season. I live in France now and quite far from any major ballet company, but I very much miss all the Balanchine ballets and style of dancing, so this is fantastic. I'm also so excited to finally be able to watch some ballets I've heard so much about (and on the podcast!), but never caught live with Miami City Ballet or during sporadic trips to NYC.

I just finished watching Allegro Brillante and Tiler Peck is as magnificent as ever. Dazzling. Like someone above said, that's an understatement. She's so fast and precise in everything she does, and she makes it look effortless.

This was such a lovely ballet, and I'm so happy this was made available. What a treat. It was also nice to see Cameron Dieck in there, who has since retired. 

I can't wait to watch what's next (Apollo!).

Me, too!  We saw Ballet West's Apollo last season, but I can never get enough Balanchine, much less get to see it performed by NYCB.

I thought that Rotunda was a well-constructed piece,  but it didn't do the dancers any favors.  It seemed a bit hectic.  Also amazing how costumes can be very simple yet unflattering at the same time.  That said,  I am enjoying this digital spring season.

Seems to me that current NYCB female dancers have a tendency to not go fully up and over the box on their pointe shoes.  Maybe it's just me.  But to my eye they don't look fully on pointe,  and I know that most of them have good feet and otherwise excellent training.

I really do think that J Peck is a talented choreographer, but so much of his work is too fast to properly enjoy (and I say that as a millennial!) There are moments of beauty in Rotunda (some arabesques caught me by surprise in the best way) but it seems overstuffed. I wish that the gentleness of Sara's pas with Gilbert had extended to more sections of the piece...their sculptural movements gave me a chance to catch my breath and for Peck to develop some themes that weren't just "run to circle. Run to another circle." 

And I thoroughly agree with On Pointe that the costumes are unflattering. They look like raggedy rehearsal wear; surely these lovely dancers can be dressed in a way--even with the same color palette--that enhances the mood, rather than obfuscating it.

I live in London and so always long to see and catch up with NYCB - when I don't actually get a chance to be in NYC.  I am HUGELY grateful for the digital opportunities.  The Allegro was simply life enriching.  I very much am hoping that people are making donations.  I thought too if people could write in perhaps it would encourage them to do more after the Covid curse has passed ... as an effective way to raise money.  I'd happily pay per/to view these pieces.  Very happily indeed.    

Posted (edited)

I do agree with everyone saying Rotunda was hectic. I did enjoy the repeating patterns/tableaux, but there were just at times a bit too much happening too fast. The casual strolling on and off the stage and relaxed stances at times reminded me very much of Robbins' style. The second half and ending of the piece were stronger to me (but I should say I am not a pro) and more enjoyable overall. 

I also agree that the costumes are unflattering. Mearns was so gorgeous in her solo and in the pas de deux with Gilbert Bolden III, but that "ballet class outfit" truly did not do her any justice. She deserves better. Same for Bolden actually, he already has a strong build and this costume really accentuated that, maybe a bit too much.

Anyways, I think beside Mearns, my favorite bit was Gonzalo Garcia's solo. Stunning, and the music alongside his dancing was a fantastic experience and made this one of the most memorable part of the ballet for me. I was happy to see Jovani Furlan on stage again. I had last seen him at Miami City Ballet a few years ago, and I have been dying to check in on his progress with NYCB. All in all I am so happy NYCB is doing this. I get to see so many of these dancers for the first time, it's fantastic.

A bit eerie to see this was premiered on February 26. Only so little days before everything changed. Hearing people cough in the background actually made me feel strange 😅

Edited by sohalia

I had to laugh when I read the above comments on Rotunda since my first two observations were:

1) The costumes are unflattering (for Mearns especially) and don't develop the ballet's visual themes in any manner that I can detect

2) Speed for speed's sake gets old fast. Peck needs to concentrate on the subtleties possible in movement, and moments of quietude, as well as the bursts of energy. And he needs music that will allow him to play with time more.

Rotunda was for me an improvement on Principia, which was very similar, but slower and grayer. So for me the brighter colors and faster speed were good things. I do really hate the practice clothes as costumes trend. If you want to convey the point that the dancers are Real People then you should do that through choreography, not costumes—just seems lazy.

I think the most recent Peck work that I really like was Pulcinella Variations, which premiered almost 3 years ago. Hopefully when the ballet comes back he’ll deliver another winner.

Allegro Brilliante was absolutely breathtaking!  Tiler Peck dances with such speed and clarity, her musicality is great, and she's got artistry.  A great American Ballerina!

What I found impressive about Rotunda was the way in which Justin Peck moves his dancers around the stage, the way the dancers beautifully handled this very fast and very difficult choreography, and the general color scheme.  I do agree with what many have said about the costumes being unflattering.  In my opinion, the only dancer who really looked fantastic in her costume was Brittany Pollack.  She was also quite delightful in her pas de trois.  Mearns is always exciting to watch.  Very much looking forward to Apollo!