This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nureyev's Swan Lake: what do you think about it?

Hi!

Taking advantage of this period of quarantine in which the Paris Opera Ballet site made it available, I watched the Swan Lake by Nureyev, I found it fascinating from many points of view, especially for the role of Siegfried which has been deepened, and the way in which Wolfgang/Rothbart treats him. I loved the interpretation of Germain Louvet, I think the role of Siegfried suits him very much, and also of Léonore Baulac, but I preferred her Odette instead of her Odile. Have you seen this version of Swan Lake? What do you think about it? 

Edited by Mariangela
5 hours ago, Mariangela said:

Hi!

Taking advantage of this period of quarantine in which the Paris Opera Ballet site made it available, I watched the Swan Lake by Nureyev, I found it fascinating from many points of view, especially for the role of Siegfried which has been deepened, and the way in which Wolfgang/Rothbart treats him. I loved the interpretation of Germain Louvet, I think the role of Siegfried suits him very much, and also of Léonore Baulac, but I preferred her Odette instead of her Odile. Have you seen this version of Swan Lake? What do you think about it? 

I can't stand it. That faux finale with Siegfried drowning and sticking his head here and there is horrid. And he also has him doing pirouettes at any time all the time. Whole invented dancing passages for the male dancer that doesn't add anything to the story. At times it feels like a class demonstration.  And the mirror dancing so favored by him. Nope. Not my cup of tea.

I have not watched the whole thing, but the costume patterns and matching partners in the Act II waltz get progressively and horribly mixed up through the waltz as if the Nureyev and the costumer never discussed the ballet together. Really surprising at this level of production.

In my opinion, while his ballets are beautiful, the choreography is often too complicated. Yes, it is very impressive that the POB dancers can dance his choreography well, but I find myself concerned about the steps more than the actual storyline.