Leah

Spring season cancelled

Just got the email. We knew it was coming but it’s still disappointing and sad.

1 minute ago, Leah said:

Just got the email. We knew it was coming but it’s still disappointing and sad.

Here's the full announcement we just got: http://email.wordfly.com/view/?sid=MzAyXzI4NDU2XzEyMDc4Ml83MjA0&l=d3e68f26-0b6b-ea11-bd94-e61f134a8c87&utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FY20SpringCancellationPatronCommunication&utm_content=version_A&uid=1139815&promo=45848

NYCB logo

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram City Ballet the Podcast

fy20-spring-mira.jpg

A MESSAGE FROM
NEW YORK CITY BALLET

As New York City Ballet continues to prioritize the health and well-being of our patrons, artists, staff, and the community at large, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Spring Season in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

While we are deeply saddened that the Company’s artistry will not be seen on stage this spring, the current pandemic has left us with no other choice. The cancellation will include all performances and events, including the May 7 Spring Gala, as well as the Company’s public programming, which includes Workshops, Inside NYCB, and Family Saturdays. We will be reaching out to all spring ticket holders with further instructions shortly.

As a result of the Spring Season cancellation, NYCB projects a loss of approximately $8 million through June 30 alone. We will need the support of our audiences and patrons more than ever, as the impact of this crisis on the wellbeing of our company of 100 dancers, 62 musicians, and over 200 administrative and theater staff will be significant. We have established a special Relief Fund to ensure the Company’s future and offer immediate support to our NYCB family during this challenging time. We hope you will consider making a gift to the Relief Fund today.

We are grateful for your dedication to the Company – our incredible artists, iconic repertory, and commitment to new work – and we look forward to the time when we can return to the stage and share the beauty and joy of NYCB with audiences of all ages.

kb.png

Katherine E. Brown
Executive Director

js-v02.png

Jonathan Stafford
Artistic Director

w-whelan-signature-cropped.jpg

Wendy Whelan
Associate Artistic Director

Ugh, so sad, but not surprising. I’m sure ABT’s announcement will follow shortly.

😭

Last year the new season was announced on the last Friday in March. If they keep to that this year, then they will announce the new season tomorrow. Hopefully we will simply be able to use our spring season tickets as a credit towards a subscription - perhaps they timed the cancellation announcement for today in anticipation of that. It could potentially help curb their losses. 

Just got it too, and like everyone says, we pretty much guessed it was coming. 

That beautiful picture of Mira Nadon, the epitome of spring, represents what we are losing, and the dancers. 

This is great news, though.

The employees who are to be paid and receive benefits through the dark season include the dancers, musicians, stagehands, costume designers, security personnel, ushers and administrators.

I wonder about the SAB Workshop performances. Maybe they are waiting to decide on that. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I wonder about the SAB Workshop performances. Maybe they are waiting to decide on that. 

Surely SAB is not in session now (at least in person), no?

Edited by nanushka

1 minute ago, nanushka said:

Surely SAB is not in session now (at least in person), no?

Of course, I wasn't thinking... all so sad. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Of course, I wasn't thinking... all so sad. 

I know. It’s hard to keep track of all the pervasive ramifications.  😕

I don’t think there’s really any chance SAB will be in session on April 20.

Edited by nanushka

Sad...but I'm reeling from so much else, that I can hardly feel what I'm feeling....

Posted (edited)

This is just one more sad and totally unexpected thing to happen in the last two weeks. Who would have ever thought we would find ourselves here?

I am glad to read that they will be paying the dancers, but I imagine they will have to slash costs somehow.

I will be back in full force in September attending many performances, and supporting this beloved company! 

Edited by nanran3

4 hours ago, nanushka said:

I’m so pleased to hear that the company is taking care of the dancers and other employees during such an uncertain time for performing artists.

Posted (edited)

I had heard about the dancers and was wondering about the rest of their staff, very glad to hear that they are able to maintain employment (and have prioritized it). It is so disappointing but of course, we knew it was coming. 

Edited by uptowner

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 7:48 PM, nanushka said:

Yes, I was so happy to see this in the email I received, despite the sad, but anticipated, season cancellation. I will make a donation to the relief fund. I can well imagine, sadly, that the SPAC season will be cancelled, too, depending on how things go as we move through spring. I hope everyone on BA is staying healthy and safe, and hoping the stress of this pandemic is mitigated by seeing our ballet videos, reading, walking and keeping busy with our households projects and our hobbies. And being supported by our housemates and keeping in touch with our loved ones who lives far and near.  Sending all BA members best wishes and hugs. 

Edited by KarenAG
Additional comment

On 3/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, nanran3 said:

This is just one more sad and totally unexpected thing to happen in the last two weeks. Who would have ever thought we would find ourselves here?

I am glad to read that they will be paying the dancers, but I imagine they will have to slash costs somehow.

I will be back in full force in September attending many performances, and supporting this beloved company! 

So will I, hopefully. 

Will the upcoming 2020-2021 season’s program be announced? Or will it be delayed? Obviously, with all the uncertainty, it makes sense to delay announcing the programs, but I would love to hear what ballets they are hoping to do.

30 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Will the upcoming 2020-2021 season’s program be announced? Or will it be delayed? Obviously, with all the uncertainty, it makes sense to delay announcing the programs, but I would love to hear what ballets they are hoping to do.

Based on precedent it would be announced this week, probably tomorrow. There’s a new empty page on the site under the season & tickets that says “Reserve”, so it should be soon. But they may be delaying to see if a fall season is even possible.

While they’ve already blocked out the dates for next season (you can see this if you go to the calendar on the site on your desktop) I’ve been wondering if it may make sense to do two 8 week programs in 2021 instead of a fall season, I believe they used to do this until a few years ago.

31 minutes ago, Leah said:

Based on precedent it would be announced this week, probably tomorrow.

Precedent is late March, I thought? Not that I’d expect precedent to stand this year.

8 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Precedent is late March, I thought? Not that I’d expect precedent to stand this year.

Last year was March but it seems like before that it was mid April.

9 minutes ago, Leah said:

Last year was March but it seems like before that it was mid April.

Actually, now that I look back here on BA, it's all over the place:

• 2019-20: late March
  • 2018-19: mid-April
  • 2017-18: mid-April
  • 2016-17: late March
  • 2015-16: mid-March
  • 2014-15: May (!)

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Actually, now that I look back here on BA, it's all over the place:

• 2019-20: late March
  • 2018-19: mid-April
  • 2017-18: mid-April
  • 2016-17: late March
  • 2015-16: mid-March
  • 2014-15: May (!)

Huh, that’s odd! Guess they like to keep people on their toes. With the website’s new placeholder I do think it’s coming soon, although I would understand if they waited until May when they’ll have a better sense of the likelihood of a fall season.