Dale

ABT launches ABT Crisis Relief Fund

23 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Well I donated. Still no link.

I would suggest that people forward their email receipt for the donation to specialevents@abt.org It's supposed to be on-line for a week.

Briefly, for now. I'm a serious Manon fan, having seen all 8 performances by ABT a year ago plus three by Royal Ballet in London, plus several DVDs (Royal, Australia) and the recent ENB stream with Alina Cojocaro. But I didn't see the 2007 performances at the Met.

This seems to be the NY Times review of this performance. It notes that this was Bolle's debut with ABT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/arts/dance/13mano.html

• The camera work was surprisingly good. I was afraid that an archival tape would be a static shot of the stage, but it is much more sophisticated, focusing on groups, individuals, etc. as appropriate. The credits recognize the Jerome Robbins Video Archive at NYPL and I wonder if they commissioned this recording.
  • The sound was weak. I had trouble getting a decent volume and am not sure why.
  • It appears that Ferri thought this was her last performance of this ballet with ABT, although it was not her official retirement performance. (I believe that was R&J later in the season?) The curtain calls went on forever and she looked almost grief-stricken.
  • She seemed to take many liberties with the choreography, especially in the PdD -- it seemed she was so comfortable, both with the ballet and with Bolle, that she could take some chances.
  • Gillian Murphy as the mistress and Hermann Cornejo as Lescaut were spectacular. His elegant form and gorgeous technique 13 years ago were very nice to see.
  • It was interesting to watch the credits for the corps and see many familiar names -- Copeland, Messmer, Hamrick