This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

2 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I don't think I'm going to watch anything else today!  

For posterity, the team and cast:

Koreografi: George Balanchine
Musik: Giuseppe Verdi (uddrag af Don Carlos, 1867)
Kostumer: Ben Benson
Lysdesign: Ronald Bates
Iscenesættelse: Merrill Ashley og Stacy Caddell, assisteret af Rose Gad
Dirigent: David Levi
Orkester: Det Kongelige Kapel Medvirkende

Solopar: Holly Dorger og Jonathan Chmelensky

Solistdamer:
Wilma Giglio, Camilla Ruelykke Holst, Elenora Morris og Silvia Selvini

Korpsdamer:
Victoria Bell, Lydia Bevan, Benedicte Boier, Isabella Rose Carroll, Heather Dunn, Giordana Gallo, Birgitta Lawrence, Emma McKenzie, Eukene Sagues, Tara Schaufuss, Carling Talcott-Steenstra og Anna Westerholm

The soloists look to be in alphabetical order.  Does anyone know the fourth soloist is?  She reminded me of Megan Fairchild in the best way.

Ashley took the curtain call:  was that Rose Gad or Stacy Caddell with her?

I remember that Ashley wrote in her book that Balanchine's advice to Robert Weiss, her partner, was "Be like Nureyev."  Jonathan Chmelensky was more like Bruhn, in the best way.  (He actually reminded me more of Andersen and Lund: he's a warm dancer.)

1 hour ago, Helene said:

The soloists look to be in alphabetical order.  Does anyone know the fourth soloist is?  She reminded me of Megan Fairchild in the best way.

I think they are in order of appearance as well as alphabetical, so the fourth one was Silvia Selvini.

English National Ballet are streaming Broken Wings,  by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa based on the life of Frida Kahlo,  featuring Tamara Rojo and Irek Mukhamedov as Frida and her husband.  Available for 48 hours from 7pm British Standard time on Wed 22 April.  Filmed in 2016. 

You tube link will be here (as below)  on the day.  The corps are all dancing Fridas - versions of her self portraits. The following Weds will be the company in Akram Khan's Dust. 

This Ballo della Regina performance should be the cheerful video of the day! How inexhaustibly witty. Sometimes it seems as if Balanchine is a comic poet, toying with syntax and rhyme structures, stops and starts, and reimagining everything on a blue guitar of his own.

The notes say that Merrill Ashley and Stacy Caddell staged this performance which means it comes from the gods themselves. It almost trumps Ashley's own PBS performance in that there are no confusing background sets, so you really can see the complete contour of every phrase. 

Balanchine somewhere says that he learned a lot from Verdi – from, if I can recall correctly, something like the structure of the choral parts or the transitional music between the big scenes. Also it looks as though Ballo was choreographed just a few years after Balanchine did the Act III Coppelia divertissments which Ashley also performed in, so maybe one influenced the other.

The big Saturday drop of streams. The Dutch National Ballet performs Peter Wright's production of The Sleeping Beauty. With Maia Makhateli and Artur Shesterikov.

https://www.operaballet.nl/online/ballet/streaming

The Vienna State Ballet performs the Nureyev production of The Nutcracker. With Liudmila Konovalova and Vladimir Shishov.

https://www.staatsoperlive.com/event/2/4bb291e3-b704-4cea-85b9-f14489557176/watch

Thank you volcanohunter for posting Japanese performances. 

Another Japanese ballet company post is Nutcracker by NBA Ballet, by their AD Koichi Kubo. (former Colorado Ballet principal).  Massimo Acri as Drosselmeyer is father to Royal Ballet First Soloist Luca Acri.

For opera fans, this original version of Boris Godunov, shorter than the revised version by about 45 minutes and with a different ending, is available on the Bayerische Staatsoper site through May 1 (for all intents and purposes) in North American time zones:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/news/online-schedule-until-19-april.html

It's a modern-dress production by Calixto Bielto, for which I'm giving a gunshot warning.  I loved Alexander Tsymbalyuk (Boris) -- a superb Timur in the Met Live and HD Turandot -- and Anatoli Kotscherga (Pimen) especially.  Kotscherga has sung Boris in this production, along with Dmitry Belosselskiy, three superb singers from Ukraine.

On the website, there are references to English and German subtitles, but English subtitles were available only during the original live broadcast.

If you are a score or libretto follower, and you're using the revised version, you'll find that entire scenes are not there, and the last scene is very different, as some of the music was moved to other scenes.  ll down on this following page and click "Synopsis", you will get the story of this production:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productioninfo/boris-godunow.html

“Fadette”    

Perm Opera Ballet Theatre

Absolutely Charming Performance by Maria Menshikova as Fedette !   😊

She mostly appears in the first half and at the very end.

This can be viewed for two more days.

Libretto by Leonid Lavrovsky and Vladimir Solovyov, based on the book “La Petite Fadette” by George Sand.