This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

Posted by the Fjord Review - a short video by Karolina Kuras of Adji Cissoko (Alonzo King LINES Ballet) dancing in a creek bed area. I'm assuming Kuras was shooting the video somewhere near Toronto, where Cissoko is now quarantined, but the countryside reminds me so much of the Northern California terrain recently affected by wildfires. The Santa Cruz mountains are full of these mysterious and spooky wooded canyons - Napa county too.

https://fjordreview.com/adji-cissoko-back-to-nature/

(Note that the article has some copy errors)

Looks like City Center is doing a second round of ballerina coaching for the Studio 5 program:

Studio 5 | Great American Ballerinas

New episodes every Wed at 5pm on Sep 16, 23, and 30
Available on demand for seven days following the livestream

Step into the studio and enjoy live conversations and coaching sessions with American Ballet Theatre principal dancer Misty Copeland and New York City Ballet principal dancers Sara Mearns and Tiler Peck, as they give you an up-close look into a ballerina’s creative and artistic process in City Center’s new virtual Studio 5 | Great American Ballerinas series.

Each ballerina works with another acclaimed dance artist in this rehearsal-style series curated and hosted by dance critic and historian Alastair Macaulay.

Be sure to tune in to watch each free virtual event:

Wed Sep 16 at 5pm | Tiler Peck with Stephanie Saland
Coming to you live from the West Coast are Peck and Saland who will work together on the “green” solo from Jerome Robbins’s 1969 classic Dances at a Gathering. Watch Peck perform the only female solo in this hour-long quintessential piano ballet that Saland was coached in by Robbins himself.

Wed Sep 23 at 5pm | Sara Mearns with Pam Tanowitz
Mearns delves into her postmodern side with renowned choreographer Tanowitz as they connect virtually from New York to explore newly created solo material.

Wed Sep 30 at 5pm | Misty Copeland with Alessandra Ferri
Copeland revisits Juliet’s solo scenes in Act Three of Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet as she's coached remotely by prima ballerina Ferri from London in the final installment of the series.

A video of Natural History, a new ballet choreographed in the time of Covid by Troy Schumacher, for his company, Ballet Collective, performed on an outdoor stage at The Mashomack Fish & Game Preserve Club in upstate New York. Brian Seibert's New York Times review: City Dancers Unleashed in the Wild

There are eight dancers, six from NYCB and two from the Martha Graham Company: Devin Alberda, Anthony Huxley, Ashley Laracey, Lorenzo Pagano, Erica Pereira, Davide Riccardo, and Leslie Andrea Williams. Per Seibert's Times review, they quarantined together nearby and rehearsed on a local school's basketball court.

Today (9/13/20) may be the last day that the stream will be available, so check it out if you are interested.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Michael Breeden was involved with this project and participated in the quarantine.  In Conversations on Dance, he goes into the logistics in a bit more detail:

https://conversationsondancepod.com/2020/09/08/200-episode/

From ~5:30-11 minutes. 

He and Rebecca King Ferraro then go on to discuss the possibility of Miami City Ballet performing outdoors, because the weather is conducive to it during the performance season.  Which I hope is also possible for Houston and other companies in Texas, and Ballet Arizona, which has a tradition of appearing in various area parks in September and also at the Desert Botanical Gardens in the summer.  

On 9/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

A video of Natural History, a new ballet choreographed in the time of Covid by Troy Schumacher, for his company, Ballet Collective, performed on an outdoor stage at The Mashomack Fish & Game Preserve Club in upstate New York.

It must have been fun leveling out that stage. I imagine the rehearsal's basketball court surface was a lumpy mess. Who wouldn't miss dancing on an actual stage at a performing arts center after these performances in the "field"?

I was glad to see the dancers and the effort that went into Natural History. But, I found the piece repetitive and dull. The distance didn't help. But still, I'm glad they made the effort and I would have attended if I could have. 

This is a new piece, "Hope," choreographed by Sandra Brown for two Colorado Ballet dancers. The performing space is the platform for two huge white sculptures (fondly known by locals as the Dancing Aliens) on the large, grassy backyard of the Denver Performing Arts Center, which is now closed. Across the street on the other side is the Auraria Campus, shared by the University of  Colorado-Denver, Metro State University of Denver, and Denver Community College. Brown, a ballet mistress with the company, was a soloist at ABT.

This is primarily vocal, but Dance Theatre of Harlem's Christopher Daniel performed a short-ish excerpt in celebration of what would have been soprano Jessye Norman's 75th birthday in this gala that was aired yesterday.  There was a beautiful photo of Norman with Arthur Mitchell in the celebration, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc-c_WbLBQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5383

On 9/17/2020 at 5:20 PM, pherank said:

Five days remaining for this video:

Tiler Peck with Stephanie Saland: Studio 5 | Great American Ballerinas Episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5bf31eV8JA

This was terrific. What a terrific series. I went to the City Ballet website afterwards to see the video of Tiler talking about the Pink Girl, but the video is not on the new website, bummer. But, highly recommend these coaching sessions. 

6 hours ago, cobweb said:

This was terrific. What a terrific series. I went to the City Ballet website afterwards to see the video of Tiler talking about the Pink Girl, but the video is not on the new website, bummer. But, highly recommend these coaching sessions. 

It's still on their YouTube page (which may be the best place to look now that they've taken some things off the website):

GOODMAN THEATRE
IN COLLABORATION WITH
SHOWTIME
AND
THE ACTORS FUND
TO STREAM

THE 1999 TONY AWARD®-WINNING BROADWAY PRODUCTION OF
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
STARRING TONY AWARD WINNER
BRIAN DENNEHY

AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING BEGINNING ON
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21 AT 8 PM ET
ONLY AT PLAYBILL.COM

In an unprecedented collaboration with Showtime and The Actors Fund, Goodman Theatre is proud to present the stream of the Tony Award Winning Broadway production of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, starring two-time Tony Award winner Brian Dennehy and directed by Goodman Theatre Artistic Director and Tony Award winner Robert Falls. The event will be available for viewing beginning on Wednesday, October 21 at 8 pm ET through October 25 only at Playbill.com.

For more information, visit actorsfund.org/DeathofaSalesman . Donations to The Actors Fund are encouraged at actorsfund.org/Salesman to support everyone in entertainment and the performing arts via The Actors Fund’s COVID-19 relief efforts.

“I am thrilled to share this momentous, timely production with a new generation—and grateful for the enthusiasm of Showtime and our original Broadway producers in making it available in support of The Actors Fund at a time when, sadly, we are unable to produce on our stages,” said Robert Falls, who directed the production at Chicago’s Goodman Theatre (1998) and its Broadway transfer the following year. “The great Arthur Miller explored in his plays what it means to be an American, asking what can we expect from our country? How do we find fulfillment if we are just scraping by? Do all our daily efforts make a difference? These questions remain as relevant today as they were in 1949, when the play premiered—and in the late 1990s, when I directed it. I invite you to consider Miller’s vexing questions through the lens of America’s past, present and future.”

Captured on film in 2000 for Showtime and not aired since its original release, this landmark production features the Broadway cast.

The New York Times hailed Dennehy's Loman as "played with majestic, unnerving transparency" and lauded Falls's "powerhouse staging." The production was the winner of four Tony Awards in 1999, including Best Revival of a Play, Best Actor in a Play (Brian Dennehy), Best Featured Actress in a Play (Elizabeth Franz) and Best Direction of a Play (Robert Falls).

I saw this production in 1999, and remember Dennehy's powerful and heartbreaking performance.  This is well worth your time.

5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

BalletMet performs Justin Peck's In Creases.

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm so pleased to see a small company (19 by my count) allowed to perform this. The artistic director is Edwaard Liang, who has done quite a bit of choreography for other companies. Their web site ways they hope to do some live performances in the spring in their black box theater. I really hope small companies like this are able to hang on through COVID. They not only bring wonderful performances of live ballet to audiences who are never able to travel to NYC. They also provide paid employment for talented dancers, as these obviously are.