This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

Saw this listed and thought it might be of interest to some: 

All Arts: In This Life - Wednesday 8pm EDT / 1am BST (then online) - The terrific dancer Robbie Fairchild has been on an odyssey of self-discovery in the past few years that has taken him, among other things, from New York City Ballet principal to Broadway leading man (An American in Paris) and cinematic Muskustrap (Cats). Now he ventures into the realm of digital short films with In This Life, an exploration of grief that he has co-created with director Bat-Sheva Guez. The piece is divided, à la Kübler-Ross, into five sections, with a different choreographer for each: James Alsop, Warren Craft, Andrea Miller, Christopher Wheeldon and Fairchild himself ... 

The next offering from the ROH is Kate Prince / Zoonation's The Mad Hatters Tea Party. Originally commissioned by the Royal Ballet for the Linbury as a contrast while Alice in Wondeland was on the main stage, this version was filmed at the Roundhouse. 

On 4/4/2020 at 2:39 PM, pherank said:

For that matter, it's better to go directly to SFB's YouTube Channel page and not try to run the videos through this forum. Performance will be better for you, and for the forum. Oh, and be sure to set the video quality to 1080p (click the Settings sprocket icon below the video timeline). And then click the Fullscreen icon next to the Settings icon to really see something.

Thank you dearly for these tips, pherank. 
I thought it was our ancient computer that was making the video playback so cumbersome... It is much better on the channel and with those settings.

8 hours ago, Dégagé said:

Thank you dearly for these tips, pherank. 
I thought it was our ancient computer that was making the video playback so cumbersome... It is much better on the channel and with those settings.

I'm glad that it's working better for you, Dégagé.

Note that it's also possible to watch any of the YouTube videos embedded in our forum pages on YouTube instead, by right-clicking within the video box and selecting "Copy video URL" from the context menu. Then open a new browser window/tab [Command + t or ⌘ + t], click in the browser address bar and paste the URL [Command + v or ⌘ + v] in the bar, and hit ENTER/RETURN.

21 minutes ago, pherank said:

Note that it's also possible to watch any of the YouTube videos embedded in our forum pages on YouTube instead, by...

You can also just click on the title bar of the video box, at least in my browsers, and it takes you right to the site or app.

9 minutes ago, nanushka said:

You can also just click on the title bar of the video box, at least in my browsers, and it takes you right to the site or app.

Yes, that works as well.  ;)
And once you're on the YouTube page, be sure to check the Quality setting, and select the best option for you (usually the highest setting). There are lots of videos in low resolution that only have the single setting, but many of the professionally filmed videos offer choices.

On 7/30/2020 at 6:58 PM, California said:

Ballet Arizona will stream La Sylphide on Sunday, August 2 for 24 hours, starting at 9 am PDT

This just appeared on Facebook: copyright issues over the score. When I looked yesterday, it was still a truncated tape. Let's hope they can repost the entire thing soon.

On Sunday August 2nd Ballet Arizona and The Phoenix Symphony showcased the beloved performance of La Sylphide. The music from this ballet was created in 1832, and although The Phoenix Symphony has obtained all the necessary copyright approvals, this performance has been flagged by YouTube. TPS has disputed the licensing concerns and are awaiting a decision from YouTube. We anticipate to have a full video for public viewing in the coming weeks. Our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Now live -

SFB's Dance of Dreams [4K version is available on YouTube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPKo8ulh9E

The wind, and Bernard Herrmann's wonderful “Scène d’Amour” music from Vertigo, are co-stars of this short production. My immediate thought upon watching this film was that a much longer, complete ballet based on Hermann's music was definitely possible (and music from various films could be used as needed). Like Tomasson's Nutcracker, the scenery could refer to various buildings/areas of San Francisco - that would be fun, but not essential.  

Cast:
Joe Walsh, Ellen Rose Hummel and Daniel Deivison-Oliveira, Frances Chung, Madison Keelser and Ben Freemantle

A couple other SFB short films that passed under the radar for many -

SF Ballet's Unbound On Screen Presents "The Collective Agreement"
>> Filmed when Ana Sophia Scheller, James Sofranko and Solomon Golding were still with the company...and now we can add Sofiane Sylve to that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CaW857bqYo

"The Collective Agreement" is an original short film for the world premiere production of Alonzo King's ballet of the same name, made for San Francisco Ballet's Unbound: A Festival of New Works.

Director: Kate Duhamel
Producer: Jesus Peña
Choreographer: Alonzo King
Music: "The Collective Agreement," written, published, and performed by Jason Moran
Director of Photography: Jesse Eisenhardt
Editor: Kate Duhamel
Visual Effects Artist: Brandon McFarland
Dancers: Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets, Max Cauthorn, Jahna Frantziskonis, James Sofranko, Anna Sophia Scheller, Solomon Golding

SF Ballet's Unbound On Screen Presents "Guernica"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsCdMtZwfQ

"Guernica" is an original short film for the world premiere production of Annabelle Lopez Ochoa's ballet of the same name made for San Francisco Ballet's Unbound: A Festival of New Works. "Guernica" found inspiration in the art of Picasso.

Director: Kate Duhamel
Choreographer: Annabelle Lopez Ochoa
Music: "Jump Cuts"
written, published, and performed by Michel Banabila
Director of Photography: Heath Orchard
Editor: Kate Duhamel
Visual Effects Artist: Brandon McFarland
Dancers: Dores Andre, Solomon Golding, Julia Rowe, Myles Thatcher

Edited by pherank

I don't know if anyone is joining the Mark Morris listening parties, but they are informative and entertaining. He mentioned "Soundies" this evening. Three minute musical films that had been available via jukebox like devices in the early 1940's. They can be found on youtube. Here's a young Gwen Verdon in one.

10 hours ago, vipa said:

I don't know if anyone is joining the Mark Morris listening parties, but they are informative and entertaining.

I would imagine so!  I've noticed performing artists perforce tend to think in entertaining ways - although whatever that way is at the moment may bother those trying to focus on cold facts or a consistent story sometimes - so, thanks for the link to one of his examples, but do you have a link handy for the "listening parties" as well?  

Edited by Jack Reed

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I would imagine so!  I've noticed performing artists perforce tend to think in entertaining ways - although whatever that way is at the moment may bother those trying to focus on cold facts or a consistent story sometimes - so, thanks for the link to one of his examples, but do you have a link handy for the "listening parties" as well?  

The link to the last Listening Party is below. I believe the next one is on Sept. 17 "Music to Love or Hate." Also at MarkMorrisDanceGroup.org the video fault is quite fun.

The Norwegian National Ballet in Melissa Hough's Five Ballerinas.

"Five dancers denied their farewell performance depict a dance of longing and distance - and the necessity of saying goodbye to start anew."

Edited by volcanohunter

8 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Norwegian National Ballet in Melissa Hough's Five Ballerinas.

"Five dancers denied their farewell performance depict a dance of longing and distance - and the necessity of saying goodbye to start anew."

A nice gesture to the dancers. A musician in jeans, a danseur wearing a tutu, contemporary and classical - it's got it all. The opening violin solo was fascinating as well. I just wished the videographer didn't move about constantly as it was making me dizzy. When the camera doesn't provide a foundational perspective, but instead flits about, I find it disorienting. And of course the dancers get cut out of the frame periodically and there's no good reason for that.

The shots of the stage area after the performance (and sound effects) were something different.

I'm really hoping there's a Nutcracker festival of streamed performances in December. I believe Ovation did  something like that a few years ago, but many of us don't get that cable channel. Although several are already available on-line, it would be nice to see a few more -- Ratmansky's for ABT would be a special treat and one I'd happily pay for.  I'm thinking that a lot of young kids who are inspired by seeing Nutcracker need to see these, even on-line. 

Will European companies be back in the theater in December for live performances? Another opportunity for them to stream theirs, even with some kind of charge.

5 hours ago, California said:

I'm really hoping there's a Nutcracker festival of streamed performances in December. I believe Ovation did  something like that a few years ago, but many of us don't get that cable channel. Although several are already available on-line, it would be nice to see a few more -- Ratmansky's for ABT would be a special treat and one I'd happily pay for.  I'm thinking that a lot of young kids who are inspired by seeing Nutcracker need to see these, even on-line. 

Will European companies be back in the theater in December for live performances? Another opportunity for them to stream theirs, even with some kind of charge.

SFB  is in discussions about how they will handle a digital version of Nutcracker. I'm sure many companies are thinking about it.

Edited by pherank

David Morse (Soloist, Cincinnati Ballet) - now known by many people watching World Ballet Class videos due to his impressive rehearsal piano skills - has released a dance video project titled MORE ROOM TO PLAY with music by John Adams:

Edited by pherank