This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

The Nureyev Gala 2020 from Vienna is replaced by "Nureyev Moments," which started with various dancers appreciating Manuel Legris, their outgoing director, and excerpts from the last decade of Nureyev galas.

So far, a light waltz pdd by Roland Petit, an d now an excerpt from Act II of Lacotte's La Sylphide.

https://staatsoperlive.com/event/2/4d853555-c344-480f-a749-411850e58d78/watch

It looks like they are going to do the same for the Young Artists of the Ensemble concert on Saturday, replacing it with on decade of performances of singers when they were young members of the ensemble:

https://staatsoperlive.com/event/2/4fc2ecfa-6d9d-5585-969e-694335c9b90a/watch

14 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I just stumbled across NYTB/Chamberworks' "The Living Room Series." (NYTB/Chamberworks is the new name for the little company formerly known as New York Theater Ballet. . . . 

On offer are programs featuring Tudor, Ashton, Limon, as well as contemporary choreographers such as Gemma Bond and Pam Tanowitz.

Thanks for the heads-up! This is a real treat, especially the Tudor and Ashton. There's also a piece by Robbins (Septet) that I had never heard of.

SF Ballet @ Home

Stay tuned for the next stream, tomorrow, Fri, June 26 at 2:30 pm PDT featuring a Mixed Repertory Program with three crowd-pleasing ballets.

1. Tomasson’s Soirées Musicales opens the program. The San Francisco Chronicle hails the "spins, jumps and bravura technique" from principal dancers Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco.
  2. Christopher Wheeldon’s After the Rain pas de deux is a sensual duet between principal dancers Yuan Yuan Tan (who is celebrating her 25th anniversary with SF Ballet) and Luke Ingham.
  3. Tomasson's Concerto Grosso closes the stream with a high-energy quintet of male dancers.

Plus, don’t miss an extra special SF Ballet @ Home stream of its 2020 Opening Night Gala program – SPELLBOUND – on Tues, June 30 at 10 am PDT, presented as a heartfelt message of appreciation to our patrons and donors. A new work by Choreographer in Residence Yuri Possokhov created for Yuan Yuan Tan will be streamed at intermission to celebrate her 25th anniversary with the Company. The stream will be available on SF Ballet @ Home, Facebook, IGTV, and YouTube.
Edited by pherank

This is great - Cavan Conley enlisted his father to compose the music, Myles Thatcher to Choreograph the dance, and SF Ballet Orchestra musicians to record the music for this quarantine era video:

Tour de Marley

Edited by pherank

Here is the casting for MCB's Nine Sinatra Songs from the closing credits:

Softly, As I Leave You:  Ashley Knox, Renan Cerdeiro

Strangers in the Night: Jordan-Elizabeth Long, Chase Swatosh

One for the Road: Julia Cinquemani, Carlos Quenedit

My Way #1: First three couples

Somethin' Stupid: Jennifer Lauren, Shimon Ito

All the Way: Emily Bromberg, Rainer Krenstetter

Forget Domani: Nicole Stalker, Alexander Peters

That's Life: Katia Carranza, Kleber Rebello

My Way #2: All couples

Stager:  Stacey Caddell

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Here is the casting for MCB's Nine Sinatra Songs from the closing credits:

Softly, As I Leave You:  Ashley Knox, Renan Cerdeiro

Strangers in the Night: Jordan-Elizabeth Long, Chase Swatosh

One for the Road: Julia Cinquemani, Carlos Quenedit

My Way #1: First three couples

Somethin' Stupid: Jennifer Lauren, Shimon Ito

All the Way: Emily Bromberg, Rainer Krenstetter

Forget Domani: Nicole Stalker, Alexander Peters

That's Life: Katia Carranza, Kleber Rebello

My Way #2: All couples

Stager:  Stacey Caddell

For me, Julia Cinquemani ("One for the Road" 5:45) has more than a passing resemblance to Simone Messmer. Whatever goes on with her, I do miss her.

Now back to my newly, rediscovered passion for old Fred Astaire movies.   😊

Here's NYCB dancers recreating famous choreography with their pets ...

Thanks for the video. Apollo was brilliant – sort of reverse-engineered. What was the name of Balanchine's cat? Mouska? 

Paw de Deux was fun. Here's a company many have not seen -

City Ballet of San Diego has posted a video of C-Squared on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/433498938/4010bfad14

[Note that the music doesn't start until about 10 minutes(!) into the piece]

C-Squared
Choreography: Elizabeth Wistrich
Music: Charles Wuorinen
Costumes: Tamlin Henahan
Sets: Dale Stokes
Lighting: Stephen Judson
Dancers:
Erica Alvarado and Geoff Gonzalez
Kimberly Green and Derek Lauer
Megan Jacobs and Stephano Candreva
Karin Yamada and Ryouske Ogura
Antonya Forsyth, Karissa Myers, Kyla Myers, Natalie Test World

This recording is the World Premiere, performed November 8, 2013 at Spreckels Theatre in San Diego, CA

Edited by pherank

17 hours ago, canbelto said:

Not exactly streaming but here's NYCB dancers recreating famous choreography with their pets:

Fun!  Are the small vids the same dancers? 

Edited by maps
WT

17 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

That was glorious. I really miss that New York City Ballet. Everyone was gorgeous and moved divinely. This time around I found I particularly enjoyed Lourdes Lopez.

It was a pleasure to revisit the company more or less as it was when I first started attending NYCB performances regularly w-a-a-a-y back in my salad days. I was particularly glad to see the Heather Watts I like to remember.

Jacob's Pillow is starting their Virtual Pillow series next week, which will continue through August 29th.  More information here: https://www.jacobspillow.org/virtual-pillow/

Up for next week (each of these will be the first of a weekly series):

July 7th at 4 pm: Ballet Master Class with Sascha Radetsky

July 9th at 7 pm: Limon Dance Company (Chaconne, The Moor's Pavane, Suite from A Choreographic Offering, Corvidae)--this performance is from the 2018 season

July 10th at 3 pm, Families Dance Together virtual class (continuing weekly at this time through 8/28)

July 12th at 5 pm, PillowTalk with Dr. Shamell Bell (Dartmouth), Street Dance Activism Scholar 

Other upcoming performances include: Circa on 7/16; Ronald K. Brown/Evidence on 7/23, the Royal Danish Ballet on 7/30; Dance Theater of Harlem on 8/6; Bereishit Dance Company on 8/13; Tero Saarinen Company and the Boston Camerata on 8/20; And Still You Must Swing on 8/27.

Upcoming PillowTalks include: Duets from Quebec on 7/17; 50 years of Ballet Hispanico on 7/24; Cleo Parker Robinson's 50th on 7/31; Liz Lerman's Wicked Bodies on 8/7; Dancerly Intelligences on 8/14; La Meri and Her Life in Dance on 8/21; and Black Artists in Dance Today on 8/28

Master classes are from: Ephrat Asherie and Archie Burnett (7/14); Desmond Richardson (7/21); Omarie Wiles (7/28); Virginia Johnson (8/4); Aszure Barton (8/18); and Ami Schulman (8/25)

On 6/30/2020 at 1:47 PM, pherank said:

Paw de Deux was fun. Here's a company many have not seen -

City Ballet of San Diego has posted a video of C-Squared on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/433498938/4010bfad14

[Note that the music doesn't start until about 10 minutes(!) into the piece]

C-Squared
Choreography: Elizabeth Wistrich
Music: Charles Wuorinen
Costumes: Tamlin Henahan
Sets: Dale Stokes
Lighting: Stephen Judson
Dancers:
Erica Alvarado and Geoff Gonzalez
Kimberly Green and Derek Lauer
Megan Jacobs and Stephano Candreva
Karin Yamada and Ryouske Ogura
Antonya Forsyth, Karissa Myers, Kyla Myers, Natalie Test World

This recording is the World Premiere, performed November 8, 2013 at Spreckels Theatre in San Diego, CA

I guess that you could call this Shapes and Moves -- Good Shapes and Moves.

Thanks, Pherank.

Added:

I've just watched some of this but Vienna Waltzes starting at 34:40, featuring Suzanne Farrell with Adam Luders is -- Magnificent !

I've never seen Suzanne Farrell doing anything like this before. If as Rudolph Nureyez once stated that George Balanchine choreographed starting at the end, then this wonderful finale is totally understandable. It's a remarkable combination of exquisiteness and Balanchine/Farrell structural, virtuoso brilliance.

Thanks, Dale.

Edited by Buddy

Buddy, it's Adam Luders dancing with Farrell in the waltz sequence from Der Rosenkavalier. Sean Lavery is Kyra Nichols' cavalier in "Tales from the Vienna Woods."

All the pieces in the 1983 Balanchine tribute have been available on YouTube before, but never in such pristine form, or as pristine as video from 1983 is ever going to be. I kind of miss Patrick Watson's intros.

The jewel of the evening for me is "Mozartiana," with the original cast intact and its small scale is great for the TV screen.  It's just a little slice of heaven.

Edited by dirac
That's Patrick Watson, not Wilson. Argh.