This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

Dance Theatre of Harlem’s online broadcasts.

This article contains the schedule for the seven weeks.

https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/dance_theatre_of_harlem_on_demand/15626

(Thanks to Ian Macmillan at BalletcoForum)

Here are a couple interesting quotes:

The first black ballet company, Dance Theatre of Harlem is now a multi-ethnic troupe and was in the process of marking its 50th anniversary with an extensive tour when Covid-19 struck.

A couple of years later, Dance Theatre of Harlem set up its performing company, which debuted at the Guggenheim Centre with three chamber pieces choreographed by Mitchell. As mark of his support for the project, Balanchine gave DTH access to all his ballets.

9 minutes ago, Buddy said:

As mark of his support for the project, Balanchine gave DTH access to all his ballets.

I believe Balanchine did much more -- e.g., sending teachers (including Tany LeClercq) and asking his dancers to save usable pointe shoes to send to DTH. 

5 hours ago, FPF said:

I haven't had a chance to watch either of these videos yet, but I thought some BalletAlerters might be interested.

First, there's a Works & Process video from the Guggenheim with choreography by Josh Bergasse performed by Sara Mearns as part of their virtual commissions series:

Then, there is a discussion with Bergasse as part of BSC@Home (Barrington Stage)

Thank you, FPF.

I don't envy Mearns and Bergasse their apartment view - endless windows looking right back at you.

Mearns dances this short piece with her trademark intensity. Fully committed - that's Sara. I just wish there was a cure for this kind of camerawork. The camera's constant movements (and video edits) only call attention to the presence of the camera, and do nothing for the dancing. Perhaps the idea was that the camera viewpoint "dance" around Mearns, but it's really just a distraction, imo. Are the choreography and dance not strong enough to stand on their own? To simply be "presented"? Or is this project really all about the supposed collaboration between different artists/arts?

I laughed when Mearns gets dragged into the interview, because she looks like she just rolled out of bed and onto the floor.  ;) 
I know the feeling very well.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:53 AM, Jack Reed said:

The Live from Lincoln Center broadcasts of the 1978 NYCB Coppelia and the 1983 Tribute to Balanchine have lately been re-scheduled for Monday, June 22nd and June 29th, respectively, at 8:00 PM eastern time:

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/live-from-lincoln-center

I'm looking forward to seeing these at last, especially to the second program, for Mozartiana, with Suzanne Farrell, Victor Castelli, and Ib Andersen.

That's great news. I'm looking forward to all of it. I could never choose between Farrell and McBride. :wub:

Nantucket Dance Festival is going to hold a free digital festival from June 20-25. It's unclear what that means but they've been releasing videos of remote rehearsals on their landing page (including an interesting bit of coaching Divertimento No. 15 by Suki Schorer). They've also posted videos and text chats on their Facebook and IG pages: 

https://nantucketdancefest.org

https://www.facebook.com/nantucketdancefestival/

In addition, organizer Tyler Angle does a lecture demonstration and those from past years have been recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdHmguMzblXUfP11flAvM1qQ0QAdFak2Q

PNB will stream the 2013 dress rehearsal performance of Twyla Tharp's Waiting for the Station starting tomorrow, Thursday, June 11, starting 7pm PDT through Tuesday, June 16 at midnight PDT.

Thanks to all who are keeping us up to date on what is available.  Particular thanks to Sofiabn today for the alert about the Perm Opera Ballet production of La Bayadere.  Lovely! 

Is it just me or are these companies crazy for putting these out there free of charge?  We're in a pandemic induced arts crisis and I would cheerfully pay to see any of these as I do for Bolshoi in Cinema and the Met Opera movie theatre transmissions.  Learn from the newspapers - DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR CONTENT!

In the meantime, I'll be thankful for the entertainment and to all of you for keeping me up on what is available.

For many companies, content is currently free, but also there's a donation request, either to a Company fund, or to a recommended cause.  For example, Bayerische Staatsoper requests a donation for a Munich fund to support artists.  

The Merce Cunningham Trust has scheduled streams of 17 full-length performances of some of Cunningham's most notable works as part of the Cunningham Centennial Celebration. A new work is posted every few days and each will remain available for viewing for about one month. Notably, these are not archival films of Cunningham's own company, but rather videos taken during recent performances by companies such as The Stephen Petronio Company, Lyon Opera Ballet, and CNDC-Angers/Robert Swinston. The Petronio Company's performance of Tread goes offline on June 14, 2020, so if you have any interest in watching it, do so soon.

The Merce Cunningham Trust's Vimeo channel has tons more content, including complete videos of the the Los Angeles, New York, and London performances of Night of 100 Solos;  former Cunningham dancers teaching selected phrases from the works that will be shown as part of the streaming festival, interviews, and more. If you are interested in exploring Cunningham's work in more depth, or if you're just Merce curious, it's an interesting site to dip into and a little easier to navigate than the Trust's online dance capsules. The Trust's website is very comprehensive in terms of both the variety and scope of the material it makes available. If you want to learn more about the Cunningham technique itself, this video of Merce explaining an introductory class is a good place to start.

Here's the schedule

Scramble / NYTB/ChamberWorks
Film Online May.15.20 - Jun.13.20

Tread / Stephen Petronio Company
Film Online May.18.20 - Jun.14.20

Totem Ancestor / John Scott Dance
Film Online May.25.20 - Jun.21.20

Exchange / Lyon Opera Ballet
Film Online Jun.1.20 - Jun.28.20.

How to Pass, Kick, Fall and Run / American Dance Festival
Film Online Jun.8.20 - Jul.5.20

BIPED / CNDC-Angers/Robert Swinston
Film Online Jun.15.20 - Jul.12.20

Summerspace / Lyon Opera Ballet
Film Online Jun.15.20 - Jul.12.20

See MoreScramble / NYTB/ChamberWorks
Film Online Jun.22.20 - Jul.19.20

See MoreTotem Ancestor / John Scott Dance
Film Online Jun.22.20 - Jul.19.20

Sounddance / The Juilliard School
Film Online Jun.29.20 - Jul.26.20

RainForest / CCN-Ballet de Lorraine
Film Online Jul.6.20 - Aug.2.20

Night Wandering / John Scott Dance
Film Online Jul.13.20 - Aug.9.20

Beach Birds / CNDC-Angers/Robert Swinston
Film Online Jul.13.20 - Aug.9.20.

Summerspace / Lyon Opera Ballet
Film Online Jul.20.20 - Aug.16.20

See MorePond Way / Royal Ballet Flanders
Film Online Jul.27.20 - Aug.23.20

See MoreNight Wandering / John Scott Dance
Film Online Aug.3.20 - Aug.30.20

RainForest / CCN-Ballet de Lorraine
Film Online Aug.3.20 - Aug.21.20

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

On 6/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, Helene said:

PNB will stream the 2013 dress rehearsal performance of Twyla Tharp's Waiting for the Station starting tomorrow, Thursday, June 11, starting 7pm PDT through Tuesday, June 16 at midnight PDT.

Thanks, Helene. This is quite enjoyable and very well conceived and performed. It’s things like this that remind us what healthier and happier times are about.

I enjoyed Mikhail Baryshnikov with the hat and the blue jacket and I’m always partial to three Teresa Reichlens in gold (see image above). If they could have kept this going for another hour or so it would have been even better. I’ll just have to watch it several more time instead.

Edited by Buddy

Ballet Arizona has announced streaming of two more ballets from the Desert Botanical Garden. Each 24 hours only, starting Sundays at 9AM PDT. More info at the Ballet Arizona Forum once the videos are available…

Videos link below.

Ib Andersen’s Eroica, to Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony – Sunday June 14, 2020

Ib Andersen’s Round, to music from Thomas Ades, J.S. Bach, Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel – Sunday June 21, 2020. Round is performed 'in the round', on a circular stage, with audience seating on all four sides.
homepage-rotator-round-1554-by_iziliaev-

Edited by fiddleback
Added video link.

Tair Gatauov, principal of Astana Opera and Honoured Artist of Kazakhstan passed away because of traffic accident on June 10th. Astana Opera streamed La Bayadere with Tair as Solor in honour of this artist. 

Here is a profile video of him.

9 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Royal Ballet is streaming Ashton's La Fille mal gardée with Marianela Nuñez, Carlos Acosta and William Tuckett. It will be available on demand for 2 weeks.

Thanks, Volcanohunter. Marianela Nuñez was precious and Carlos Acosta was aerially amazing -- A classic, beautifully performed. 

And now for something completely different:

San Francisco Ballet in Arthur Pita's Björk Ballet

CASTING
Carmela Mayo, Elizabeth Powell, Dores André

Joseph Walsh, Ulrik Birkkjaer, Luke Ingham

Kamryn Baldwin, Gabriela Gonzalez, Ellen Rose Hummel,
Elizabeth Mateer, Norika Matsuyama, Skyla Schreter,
Miranda Silveira, Ami Yuki

Diego Cruz, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira, Joshua Jack Price,
Nathaniel Remez, Alexander Reneff-Olson, Henry Sidford,
John-Paul Simoens, Hansuke Yamamoto

Björk songs: “Overture”, “All Is Full of Love”, “You’ve Been Flirting Again” “Bachelorette”, “Vokuro”, “Frosti”, “The Gate”, “Hyperballad”, and “Anchor Song”

For people who don't know these particular dancers:

• Dores André appears at 4:10 with partner Luke Ingham. And at 23:00 she rides in on a platform to eventually be joined in a dance with Ingham.
  • Carmela Mayo appears at around 8:20 for a solo variation. And again at 15:57.
  • Elizabeth Powell and partner Ulrik Birkkjaer are seen kissing at 7:32 while Dores André is held upside down by Luke Ingham. Powell appears again at 9:35 for a masked dance (eventually joined by Birkkjaer).
  • Joseph Walsh is the 'masked guy with the fishing pole' (I do like a good non sequitur) who dances at both the beginning and end of the ballet.
Edited by pherank

La grande danza - Doda, Duato, Kylián

Sin lo cual no
Choreographer Gentian Doda
Music by Joaquín Segade

Duende
Choreographer Nacho Duato
Music by Claude Debussy

Sechs Tänze
Choreographer Jiří Kylián
Musich by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Conductor Alessandro Cadario