This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

I thought it was from June 1-5, but I could be wrong. 

But I missed the entire call for blackout Tuesday:  when was that communicated?  (I type as a curfew alert for Seattle just came over my phone.)

10 minutes ago, Helene said:

But I missed the entire call for blackout Tuesday:  when was that communicated?  (I type as a curfew alert for Seattle just came over my phone.)

Ah, I thought it was all part of this, which I'd thought began with last night's ABT performance. (Oh, actually no, with Saturday night's MND. Both of those were originally listed on that page, before they occurred.)

I'm not sure where it was originally communicated. It's all over now, just from googling "blackout tuesday june 2."

Edited by nanushka

8 minutes ago, Helene said:

I received a curfew alert as well for my area. I didn't get the memo regarding Blackout Tuesday until I saw it mentioned by SFB.

I suppose you need to remain glued to the media outlets to get this kind of information. I'd rather try to have a life, and a life's work.

I thought I read that the SAB workshop stream was going to be part of a celebration where former SAB students talk about their experience. (some of these videos are up on SAB's YT channel) NYCB dancers have been amplifying the company's offerings on social media. It wouldn't surprise me if this is something that's encouraged, even expected now that they're not dancing, in order to help the company and raise money. All good things, not saying this is a bad thing. But in light of the last week's events and the current goings on, some dancers might not have their heart into that sort of social media campaign. Many of us follow the dancers and they - like many of us - have been upset and angry and hurt. This SAB workshop was very important, especially as it had a tribute to Arthur Mitchell and featured two African-American dancers in the pas de deux of Agon. Something we haven't seen at NYCB. This was something to be celebrated and I can certainly understand why they'd want to put a pause on it until a time when it can be fully appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, Dale said:

I thought I read that the SAB workshop stream was going to be part of a celebration where former SAB students talk about their experience.

Many of us follow the dancers and they - like many of us - have been upset and angry and hurt. This SAB workshop was very important, especially as it had a tribute to Arthur Mitchell and featured two African-American dancers in the pas de deux of Agon. Something we haven't seen at NYCB. This was something to be celebrated and I can certainly understand why they'd want to put a pause on it until a time when it can be fully appreciated. 

Ah thanks, @Dale, perhaps this is the celebration @Helene was referring to. I hadn't seen word of it.

And yes, I think holding off made a lot of sense.

6 hours ago, Helene said:

And I've been on Twitter intermittently all day, and it still went over my head...

The SFB home page is currently dedicated to Blackout Tuesday:

https://www.sfballet.org/

They also link to a resources page, which is nice - "We encourage you to explore, engage, and educate yourself on these important issues with the following resources..."

On 5/31/2020 at 8:09 PM, Dale said:

YouTube:

What a treat! And what a cast! Standouts for me was Les Sylphides (so otherworldly and romantic) and Theme and Variations (Gelsey and Mikhail...LEGENDARY). 🥰

A new twist on streaming: Royal Ballet and Opera will do some with requests for donations, which has become the standard. But if you scroll down in the message, two will be sold for 4.99 pounds. This is an interesting experiment to see if there is a market. They don't say what is on those programs. 

Friends of the Royal Opera House <membership@roh.org.uk>

7:21 AM (15 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

live-from-the-royal-opera-house-c-roh-20

Live from Covent Garden

A special message from Antonio Pappano, Music Director of the Royal Opera, Kevin O’Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet and Oliver Mears, Director of the Royal Opera.

As our closest Friends and supporters, we are delighted for you to be among the first to learn about our new series of live concerts. Live from Covent Garden will be streamed live on Facebook and YouTube from our beloved theatre, with the first being broadcast on Saturday 13 June at 7:30pm.

We have worked together to curate this programme, celebrating some of the best talent in opera alongside the unparalleled artistry and athleticism of our dancers from The Royal Ballet.

Get ready for 13 June...

The first concert, hosted by the BBC’s Anita Rani and our very own Director of Music, Antonio Pappano, will be broadcast on 13th June at 7:30pm. It will see the ROH open its theatre to a limited number of musicians, artists and performers in the first live concert since closing our doors on 17 March 2020.  

The first concert will draw on the Royal Opera House’s heritage, with works from Benjamin Britten and George Frederic Handel, as well as repertory favourites, from George Butterworth to Mark Anthony Turnage. These will be performed by stars including Louise Alder, Toby Spence and Gerald Finley

We also look forward to a world premiere by Wayne McGregor, Resident Choreographer of The Royal Ballet. Further details of this exciting new work will be announced in due course.

We hope these concerts will bring you the joy and connection of a live performance. We will be asking for donations around the show as, with more than 60% of our income gone, we are at one of the most difficult times in the organisation’s long history. As loyal Friends and supporters we hope you will enjoy these concerts and support us.

The following two performances on Saturday 20 June and Saturday 27 June will be available to view live and on demand for just £4.99 and will include a host of ballet and opera direct from The Royal Opera, The Royal Ballet, and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House. We look forward to sharing details with you soon.

We look forward to welcoming you, from your house, back to our house.

Antonio Pappano

Music Director of the Royal Opera

Kevin O’Hare

Director of The Royal Ballet 

Oliver Mears

Director of the Royal Opera  

Subscribe to our social channels for the latest information about Live from Covent Garden

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

No streaming from Lincoln Center tonight?

I checked both LC site and YT, nothing. It's uncleared what the rescheduled date is, if it's rescheduled.

12 hours ago, canbelto said:

No streaming from Lincoln Center tonight?

9 hours ago, mussel said:

I checked both LC site and YT, nothing. It's uncleared what the rescheduled date is, if it's rescheduled.

I was also looking for this last night. With the SAB celebration they announced that it was postponed. With Coppelia they announced a new broadcast date. This was different. There was no word from Lincoln Center, it just disappeared from their program list. Very disappointing, and very bad form from LC.

The nightly Metropolitan Opera streams resumed on Wednesday, 6/3/20 as planned. (The video of Gluck’s Orfeo ed Euridice is still up.)

For reasons that elude me, Lincoln Center has not yet updated the Lincoln Center at Home page regarding the advertised but unavailable Dance Week videos. They did manage to tweet out a reply to someone who asked what was up:

I'm no HTML genius, but even I could manage to insert an update on the mother ship's web page. Even if the date for the rescheduled stream hasn't been determined yet, the powers that be should be able to put some sort of alert on the relevant pages.

26 minutes ago, Helene said:

As an FYI, at sometime on Wednesday, the Met streamed the Lulu that originally was planned to start on Tuesday evening.  I was able to listen to it until Orfeo started.

AARGH! I really wanted to catch that Lulu stream! I tried a couple of times to no avail and gave up too soon, I guess ...

ETA: Aha! for now, Lulu is still up and streamable. I don't know how long that will last, but for now it's still available.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

That's great news!  I didn't get to watch a whole lot working from home, but I did get to listen, and it sounded great!

I lucked into it the other day because I went back to the Met website to check for something else.

Unlike the rest of the RDB's streaming programme, Emeralds is only available until June 19th. But I think it's amazing they've been allowed to show it at all, particularly as it's an internal archive film, not intended for public showing.