This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

12 hours ago, California said:

Wow! 42 years since they showed that. What have they been waiting for! Can you imagine going to ABT now with such a line-up of amazing talent?

I think the stars they had during the late 90s/early 2000s were equal in quality to the stars on 42 years ago (Ananiashvilli, Ferri, Corella, Carreno to name just a  few).  It is only in recent years that standards and quality have taken such a downturn. 

1 hour ago, California said:

Dance Theatre of Harlem has announced a digital season, with their Creole Giselle this Saturday, June 6:

https://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/dthondemandvirtualballetseries/

Woo Hoo! This is wonderful news—and not just about Creole Giselle. I'm delighted to see that Robert Garland's work will be featured as well.

12 hours ago, Buddy said:

Perm Opera Ballet Theatre

La Fille mal gardée (Alexandre Gorski version)

. I’ve also made a brief search for The Chicken Dance, one of the great moments in ballet, but can’t find it.

Give it a try if you like. The company is loveable — and very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcN1ffcVAng&feature=youtu.be

Chicken dance is only in Ashton

4 hours ago, California said:

Dance Theatre of Harlem has announced a digital season, with their Creole Giselle this Saturday, June 6:

https://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/dthondemandvirtualballetseries/

Oh yay! Thank you for posting. I watched their Creole Giselle on tape I don’t know how many times as a dance student. I can’t wait to watch it again.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:56 PM, mussel said:

School of American Ballet starts streaming its workshop performances on June 1, 2020:

https://sab.org/virtual-workshop-performance-celebration/?fbclid=IwAR1x13UnKn1f8No42hdu2bjBaS6VQi-R_MTLx-EXGo5M7YbMXLnu080VK64

SAB performance stream has been postponed:

"The School of American Ballet has made the decision to postpone the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration which had been scheduled to stream from Monday, June 1, to Friday, June 5. At this time of national strife and soul searching following the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and Breonna Taylor, the focus of our School has turned to reflection and purposeful solidarity with the Black community. We will revisit our plans for the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration at a more appropriate time in the coming months."

Edited by mussel

On 5/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, Dale said:

This isn't quite how NYCB does the production (which was a revival in 1985 of the version done for Tallchief). The corps dance in front of the scrim (Chagall's, of course) to give time for the last set change) and then we get the tableau in all of the artist's glory. And rather than static, Balanchine uses stage craft.  As the music swells, the lights get bright, brighter, brightest until all that color is saturated. The stage fills with people, including the monsters. And when the brass section comes in one last time, the young children come running in with platters of food and drink, racing to and fro as the music is whipped into one last frenzy. The main couple move forward, with some of the children holding on to the Princess's train (she's wearing the most magnificent blood red jeweled dress with a long train. I believe the curtain comes down and then back up so we get one last glimpse of it all. 

6a00e39823a901883301bb0943c9b8970d-pi

The Miami production really made me appreciate how much the Chagall sets and costumes add to the NYCB production. It doesn't really matter that not much is happening in the final tableau at NYCB because there's so much to look at.  The Miami production just doesn't have the visual splendor to complement the music. 

NYCB just announced that the Lincoln Center at home streaming of Coppelia and the SAB workshop are postponed:

Along with arts and cultural institutions across the country, New York City Ballet and the School of American Ballet will participate in Blackout Tuesday to stand against all forms of racism, violence, and discrimination.

Please note the following updates to previously announced Lincoln Center Dance Week events:

New York City Ballet’s stream of Coppélia has been postponed until Saturday, June 6 at 8 PM (EDT).

The School of American Ballet Virtual Workshop has been postponed and will be rescheduled at a more appropriate time in coming months.

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

Not really sure why a stream on Monday would be impacted by Blackout Tuesday. 

Well, as @mussel quoted above (in part):

2 hours ago, mussel said:

"At this time of national strife and soul searching following the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and Breonna Taylor, the focus of our School has turned to reflection and purposeful solidarity with the Black community."

So it's (understandably) not exclusively about the designation "Blackout Tuesday."

Edited by nanushka

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

Not really sure why a stream on Monday would be impacted by Blackout Tuesday. 

Very vague statement. And note that Ballet Arizona has not postponed their on-line discussion of Symphony in 3 Movements, although I suppose they might:

The School of American Ballet has made the decision to postpone the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration which had been scheduled to premiere tonight and stream until Friday, June 5.  At this time of national strife and soul searching following the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and Breonna Taylor, the focus of our School has turned to reflection and purposeful solidarity with the Black community.

While this is only a postponement of our event, it is an important one. We will keep you updated with our plans to air the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration at a more appropriate time in the coming months, and we thank you for your ongoing support of the School of American Ballet.

Just now, California said:

And note that Ballet Arizona has not postponed their on-line discussion of Symphony in 3 Movements, although I suppose they might...

Is Ballet Arizona an affiliated institution? I assume each independent institution is making its own decision, on its own timeline. (And those decisions may differ.)

2 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Is Ballet Arizona an affiliated institution? I assume each independent institution is making its own decision, on its own timeline. (And those decisions may differ.)

No, but if the rationale is respect for victims and the widespread demonstrations, that only seems to be an issue for Lincoln Center at Home, not others streaming now.

5 minutes ago, California said:

No, but if the rationale is respect for victims and the widespread demonstrations, that only seems to be an issue for Lincoln Center at Home, not others streaming now.

"An issue" in what sense? The institution has made a decision to "stand against all forms of racism, violence, and discrimination." What's the issue? That viewers need to wait four more days to see a ballet (or an unspecified amount of time longer to see the workshop)?

Edited by nanushka

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

"An issue" in what sense? The institution has made a decision to "stand against all forms of racism, violence, and discrimination." What's the issue? That viewers need to wait four more days to see a ballet (or an unspecified amount of time longer to see the workshop)?

I have no idea. As ABATT said, it seems odd that Monday was determined to be a bad time to show the screening of the SAB Workshop. I hadn't heard about this before, but it sounds like there is something called "black-out Tuesday"? So they don't want to show anything then. Okay. But of course the Workshop could have gone dark on Tuesday and come back Wednesday. Well, all these organizations are making decisions on the fly, trying to do what's best.  Like everyone here, I'm grateful that we have had such a wide selection of digital offerings in this terrible time.

1 minute ago, California said:

As ABATT said, it seems odd that Monday was determined to be a bad time to show the screening of the SAB Workshop. I hadn't heard about this before, but it sounds like there is something called "black-out Tuesday"? So they don't want to show anything then. Okay. But of course the Workshop could have gone dark on Tuesday and come back Wednesday.

It would certainly seem odd if the sole reason for a Monday cancellation were a Tuesday blackout. But again, the statement from SAB directly (at least I assume the above statement, posted by @mussel, was from SAB directly) makes it clear that their concerns are broader than just the Tuesday blackout. This is a time of massive unrest across the nation. SAB is choosing not to stream their workshop during that.

I have found the ballet offerings to be a tremendous source of relief and replenishment during times of massive unrest. I will miss the workshop performance and look forward to seeing it soon, I hope. 

2 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I have found the ballet offerings to be a tremendous source of relief and replenishment during times of massive unrest. I will miss the workshop performance and look forward to seeing it soon, I hope. 

Same here.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

It would certainly seem odd if the sole reason for a Monday cancellation were a Tuesday blackout.

My thought was that it was to avoid the interruption of what is, essentially, a celebration, and starting something on Monday, being off Tuesday, and back on Wednesday (through Friday). 

10 minutes ago, Helene said:

My thought was that it was to avoid the interruption of what is, essentially, a celebration, and starting something on Monday, being off Tuesday, and back on Wednesday (through Friday). 

Wasn't the series already started, last night? (Sorry, I may be missing what you meant.)

Edited by nanushka

4 minutes ago, canbelto said:

The SAB workshop was advertised as a fundraiser. It isn't the best time to be holding a fundraiser. I assume that's why.

Perhaps. Or perhaps that was just another reason why.