Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Ballet Arizona will stream Balanchine’s Symphony in Three Movements on Sunday, May 31, 2020. 24 hours only, starting at 9AM PDT.

More info and discussion at the Ballet Arizona forum, once the video has been released…

YE_TY_AB.jpg

Edited by fiddleback
update video links
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pherank said:

Thanks for the heads up, Vipa.

Is this the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHnwcllAzc

Yes, I believe that is the video. It was quite interesting how, during the presentation, you could submit questions. It seems the questions asked were the most frequently asked. It must have been quite a job keeping track as questions rolled in. I think there were over 4.000 viewers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vipa said:

Yes, I believe that is the video. It was quite interesting how, during the presentation, you could submit questions. It seems the questions asked were the most frequently asked. It must have been quite a job keeping track as questions rolled in. I think there were over 4.000 viewers!

Yes, both YouTube and Facebook allow live chat (comments) but the user has to sign in with a valid account. YouTube may allow sign-in from a number of different sources (Google, Yahoo, Facebook?), but Facebook live chat can only be accessed with a Facebook account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pherank said:

Yes, both YouTube and Facebook allow live chat (comments) but the user has to sign in with a valid account. YouTube may allow sign-in from a number of different sources (Google, Yahoo, Facebook?), but Facebook live chat can only be accessed with a Facebook account.

The program was on YouTube but you could also be sent a Zoom link, which is what I was given. You could submit questions using zoom chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be double sure this doesn't get missed, New York City Ballet in Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream, filmed in 1986, with Maria Calegari, Ib Andersen, Jean-Pierre Frohlich, Merrill Ashley and Adam Luders.

Titania MARIA CALEGARI
Oberon IB ANDERSEN
Puck JEAN-PIERRE FROHLICH
Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons VICTORIA HALL
Theseus, Duke of Athens CORNEL CRABTREE
Titania’s Cavalier JOCK SOTO
Helena, in love with Demetrius STEPHANIE SALAND
Hermia, in love with Lysander JUDITH FUGATE
Lysander, beloved of Hermia KIPLING HOUSTON
Demetrius, suitor of Hermia PETER FRAME
Bottom LAURENCE MATTHEWS
Butterfly KATRINA KILLIAN
Act II Divertissement MERRILL ASHLEY and ADAM LÜDERS

Broadcast on May 24, 1986, Live from Lincoln Center

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I didn't really like the excerpts shown, I was amazed by Taylor Stanley and Lauren Lovette. Sometimes I thought her dancing was bland, but not in this piece.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Is anyone having luck getting the Lincoln Center stream of ABT to work right now?

Nope. Why wouldn't they put it on YT like the others? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, California said:

I keep getting a message that says:

Quote

Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Nope. Why wouldn't they put it on YT like the others?

I know. Ugh.

Edited by nanushka
Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that right-clicking on a website video (to open the context menu) will often reveal the "copy video URL" option. And choosing that will copy the YouTube link into memory so you can paste it into the browser address window. If there's no such option (such as on Facebook videos), then YouTube is not being used to host the video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 8:42 AM, Rosa said:

Thank you so much for posting this!  I would never have found it without you.

I visited Denmark six years ago and saw the Royal Danish Ballet perform a program of La Sylphide and Etudes one night, and then Et Folkesagn a few nights later.  Sorry to say, but the Sylphide and Etudes I saw were disappointing.  I am of Danish heritage, and I was so excited to actually be in Copenhagen and see them perform Bournonville's famous Sylphide at Det Kongelige Teater!  I had seen a wonderful version of it on DVD, and now I was going to see it for real.  The dancing itself was fine, but the costumes and especially the set were so awful and destructive to the story that it was a major let down.

At the time, I had never heard of Et Folkesagn, but I went since I was in town and it was available.  It was a complete about face from the previous experience.  What a coup!  The kind of performance that sucked you right out of yourself into another world.  Simply capital.  That is one night I will always remember and a great highlight of my time in Denmark.

I didn't think I would be likely to ever see that again, but that video is just as I remember it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pherank said:

Note that right-clicking on a website video (to open the context menu) will often reveal the "copy video URL" option. And choosing that will copy the YouTube link into memory so you can paste it into the browser address window. If there's no such option (such as on Facebook videos), then YouTube is not being used to host the video.

The YouTube video is "unlisted," which is why it didn't come up on their YouTube channel. I had to sign in with my email address on the Lincoln Center website to get the option of seeing a video box. But it's all good now. God, I've never seen this video so clean. I own a watery tape of a tape, same as the bits and pieces on YT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dale said:

The YouTube video is "unlisted," which is why it didn't come up on their YouTube channel. I had to sign in with my email address on the Lincoln Center website to get the option of seeing a video box. But it's all good now. God, I've never seen this video so clean. I own a watery tape of a tape, same as the bits and pieces on YT. Even the one at the NYPL isn't this clean. 

Lincoln Center is definitely collecting e-mails. I hope they use mine wisely.  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! 42 years since they showed that. What have they been waiting for! Can you imagine going to ABT now with such a line-up of amazing talent? So sad that several of them are no longer with us -- Bujones, Nagy, Wright, among others.

I noted that Makarova didn't try the fouettes, but had a very nice substitute.  It was always reported that she hated those. Perhaps a word to a certain someone else who has problems with them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perm Opera Ballet Theatre

La Fille mal gardée (Alexandre Gorski version)

This may only be on for a day or two. I’ve just watched about twenty minutes and, for me, some parts work better than others. I am enjoying this  portrayal of the Mother by a guy about the size of a football player, who can lift the men as high into the air as the women (18:40). I’ve also made a brief search for The Chicken Dance, one of the great moments in ballet, but can’t find it.

Give it a try if you like. The company is loveable — and very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcN1ffcVAng&feature=youtu.be

 

Edited by Buddy
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, California said:

I noted that Makarova didn't try the fouettes, but had a very nice substitute.  It was always reported that she hated those. Perhaps a word to a certain someone else who has problems with them?

Too pedestrian?  😉

Even in this low resolution video of The Firebird, the orchestra at Lincoln Center sounds more ideal to me playing the finale than what I was hearing in the recent MCB Firebird video. Deeper, fuller, more grand. The tempo similar to Stravinsky's intended speed and dynamics. I can guess the orchestra was a larger one (which always helps), but conductor Akira Endo did good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to spend the day watching Moby Dick from San Francisco Opera, but between Ballet Arizona's Symphony in Three Movements, the Danish mime documentary, Miami City Ballet's Firebird, and American Ballet Theatre at the Met, I just never got around to it!  What a day of ballet :flowers:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioned earlier, the Ballet of the Teatro Colón in Ronald Hynd's The Merry Widow, with Marianela Nuñez, Alejandro Parente, Camila Bocca and Maximiliano Iglesias. At the moment you have to skip ahead about 11 minutes to an introduction by Hynd and 13 minutes to get to the actual ballet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, California said:

Wow! 42 years since they showed that. What have they been waiting for! Can you imagine going to ABT now with such a line-up of amazing talent? So sad that several of them are no longer with us -- Bujones, Nagy, Wright, among others.

I noted that Makarova didn't try the fouettes, but had a very nice substitute.  It was always reported that she hated those. Perhaps a word to a certain someone else who has problems with them?

I've seen Makarova's DQ PDD many times back in the 70's and she almost always did the fouettes (even though she hated them). Ditto with her Swan Lake. This performance was one of her first after returning from maternity leave and she was not 100% back in shape so I can forgive her substituting the fouettes here. Its very different from a ballerina who is at full strength and simply can't execute the steps.

Agree that it was a wonderful video and hope that its available for awhile longer. That T&V is legendary and the Sylphides was gorgeous!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...