This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

5 hours ago, fiddleback said:

Topia: Desert Dance (A Documentary) – May 24, 2020

o   Danced on a custom-crafted, 80-foot-wide panoramic stage with the Desert Botanical Garden serving as the ultimate backdrop, Ballet Arizona performed Topia to sold-out crowds and became the most presented work from Ballet Arizona at the Garden. Don’t miss ‘Topia: Desert Dance‘ – a documentary on the creation of this innovative outdoor ballet, choreographed specifically for the Garden and inspired by the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert landscape.

I am so glad that this will be streamed: I've never been able to make it to Phoenix to see this in person.

This particular performance opens the door to something that I’ve waited over thirty years to see happen in dance !   😊

(Can be viewed until May 22)

I’ve just watched the first half, but would call attention to 22:00 to 33:50.

Look at the *language* of the hands, for instance.

(Many thanks to DaDanse at Dansomanie -- officially posted by Sadler's Wells Theatre)

Edited by Buddy

On 5/17/2020 at 12:30 PM, Buddy said:

This particular performance opens the door to something that I’ve waited over thirty years to see happen in dance !   😊

(Can be viewed until May 22)

I’ve just watched the first half, but would call attention to 22:00 to 33:50.

Look at the *language* of the hands, for instance.

Looks to be a dance based off Chinese martial arts "forms" (as they are often called in English). I recognize a few of the stances and arm movements from Tai Chi and Kung Fu.

Tai Chi itself has a very flowing, dancelike quality in the 'everyday' form (there is also a martial version that can be used for self-defense).

Hi, Pherank.

There's a lot that I can go into in regard to how this effects me. 

There might be martial arts moves involved which I wouldn't particularly know about or be interested in. There's  a lot of Far Eastern influence included here and it's the use of this that very much interests me. There's a beautiful lyrical dance culture from the Far East that in a way parallels ballet in the West and it's emergence on a world scale does interest me very much. One of the elements apparently is Tai Chi which I would certainly relate to in its health/meditative/beauty aspects. Also Western modern dance is much evident here. This synthesis as a contrast to ballet's lyrical beauty is what most interests me and I might try to elaborate on it at another time.

Added: If anyone reads the YouTube responses to this video, there's almost a unanimous sense of excitement at the beauty of this work and performance that prevails. You might even recognise a Ballet Alert! poster among them.

Edited by Buddy

33 minutes ago, California said:

Mariinsky just started free streaming of the Petipa Gala: 

The Seasons

Act II of Midsummer Night's Dream

Act III of Sleeping Beauty

https://mariinsky.tv/e

Looks like the Mariinsky is starting repeats. I would have thought they had more left in the store, so to speak. But at least they're continuing. Looks like the Bolshoi is done with the free streams. They put up a "Thank you for watching" video. But I really liked this Petipa Gala. A nicely done bit of Balanchine and the last act of the reconstructed Sleeping Beauty (which we don't see enough). 

On 5/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, Buddy said:

There might be martial arts moves involved which I wouldn't particularly know about or be interested in. There's  a lot of Far Eastern influence included here and it's the use of this that very much interests me. There's a beautiful lyrical dance culture from the Far East that in a way parallels ballet in the West and it's emergence on a world scale does interest me very much. One of the elements apparently is Tai Chi which I would certainly relate to in its health/meditative/beauty aspects. Also Western modern dance is much evident here. This synthesis as a contrast to ballet's lyrical beauty is what most interests me and I might try to elaborate on it at another time.

The martial arts tradition is so pervasive in the East, and has such a long history as part of the Asian "movement" culture that it makes perfect sense to develop an entire dance form around it. I'm not sure why it didn't develop sooner.

14 hours ago, California said:

Mariinsky just started free streaming of the Petipa Gala: 

The Seasons

Act II of Midsummer Night's Dream

Act III of Sleeping Beauty

https://mariinsky.tv/e

I just watched most of the Petipa Gala. The Mariinsky Ballet's flexibility and watch-like precision are always a marvel to behold (even the children). And no one does ethereal like the Mariinsky women.

I guess the Balanchine Trust répétiteur for Midsummer Night's Dream was Sandra Jennings, who I'm not really familiar with. But the company looked to be well rehearsed.

It was interesting for me to compare with the recent Frances Chung and Ulrik Birkkjaer partnering in SFB's streaming broadcast of AMND. Skorik and Zverev's PDD had a different feel as it was less personal or metaphorical, and more about enjoyment of the steps. Skorik's movement often had an otherworldly quality to it, while Chung and Birkkjaer were decidedly human in their virtuosity, It's just a different approach. I did love Skorik and Zvarev's ending pose. And Skorik's pirouettes were marvelous.

The downside of offering only the 2nd act of AMND is that we, the audience, don't really see the characters developed, and the Mariinsky dancers make no attempt to impart anything personal in most of these dances. Gergiev, being Gergiev, also played the famous rising notes theme too fast to impart any real emotional quality. The Mendelssohn score really needs to have an almost heartbreaking quality to it at the end, as the faery world disappears from view. But we get what we get. And I'm glad to have seen it.

10 hours ago, pherank said:

I guess the Balanchine Trust répétiteur for Midsummer Night's Dream was Sandra Jennings, who I'm not really familiar with. But the company looked to be well rehearsed.

Sandra Jennings was part of the glorious Ford Foundation-fueled NYCB corps in the '70's through the early '80's.  She was one of the earliest of the first generation stagers who started after Balanchine's death, and has been staging Balanchine ballets for more than three decades.  She was also a ballet mistress at Pennsylvania Ballet and San Francisco Ballet. 

The School of American Ballet has announced a virtual Workshop performance, with video from the past four years. June 1-7 pm ET. Available for five days.

463d5244-7d32-43eb-a696-84679542809c.jpg
Join us on Monday, June 1 for the School of American Ballet’s first-ever Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration, in support of the SAB Response Fund! The Workshop Celebration will premiere at 7pm ET at sab.org, Facebook, and YouTube. While the coronavirus pandemic has forced the cancellation of the live Workshop Performances that had originally been scheduled to take place this spring, we are pleased to present a collection of outstanding performances from the past four years.

Our special celebration will include commentary and introductions by SAB’s Artistic Director Jonathan Stafford and Chairman of Faculty Kay Mazzo, distinguished alumni Justin Peck and Maria Kowroski, and SAB’s senior faculty member Suki Schorer. This event will also include the public announcement of the 2020 Mae L. Wien Awards for Outstanding Promise, a distinction awarded to three senior students who show significant potential for high professional achievement.

This event is FREE and open to the public, so please forward this email and invite your friends and family who would enjoy this wonderful evening. Can’t join us on June 1? Not to worry! The Celebration will be available through June 5 at 7pm ET.

Click the image below for a sneak peek of what’s to come!
d88c8f48-59f3-44c2-9164-073b55c2cb52.png
Help SAB ensure that we are able to continue providing exceptional ballet training for our students, maintaining our commitment to our artistic and administrative employees, and sustaining our facilities and our School for the future by making a gift to the SAB Response Fund today. A gift of any size is impactful and would mean the world to us and our students.
Make a gift to the SAB Response Fund
Photos by Paul Kolnik. Header image: Scotch Sy
70 Lincoln Center Plaza, Fifth Floor
New York, NY 10023

I'm very excited about this SAB workshop stream on  June 1.  This apparently will include Mira Nadon's acclaimed performance as the lead in Scotch Symphony.  Every critic review I read raved about it.  Thank you SAB. 

Edited by abatt

The Kennedy Center just sent out an email listing several digital offerings, although I think we know about most of them. I was intrigued by this promise:

"We'll be sharing our 2020-2021 Ballet & Dance seasons with you this summer!"

Kennedy Center Logo

Kennedy Center @ Home

Keep up with the best of Ballet & Dance—online!

World events may be keeping us from enjoying our ballet & dance favorites in the theater, but the arts are alive and well online! Enjoy great digital offerings from New York City Ballet, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, San Francisco Ballet and the Martha Graham Dance Company, and watch some of our favorite Digital Stage ballet & dance clips, all linked below.

Stay tuned, we'll be sharing our 2020-2021 Ballet & Dance seasons with you this summer!

Digital performances to keep you inspired

New York City Ballet's Digital Spring Season

New York City Ballet's Digital Spring Season

New Streams every Tuesday and Friday at 8 p.m. ET, through May 29

George Balanchine's Diamonds is available now, followed by Christopher Wheeldon's Liturgy and Carousel (A Dance), available to stream Friday at 8 p.m. All streams are available for 72 hours.

Ailey All Access

Ailey All Access

New Streams every Thursday at 7 p.m. ET

Catch Robert Battle's Mass through Thursday, when Camille A. Brown's City of Rain will become available at 7 p.m. All full work streams are accompanied by bonus videos and conversation about the work.

SF Ballet @ Home

San Francisco Ballet @ Home

New Streams every Friday at 6 p.m. ET

Currently available is Justin Peck's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming, with Christopher Wheeldon's Bound To offered on Friday. Both works were performed by the company on our Opera House stage in 2018.

Martha Graham Dance Company's Martha Matinees

Martha Graham Dance Company's Martha Matinees

Every Wednesday and Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET

Join the Martha Graham Dance Company LIVE for an interactive viewing experience presented by the Graham Archives, featuring archival footage and recent performances. The series is hosted by Artistic Director Janet Eilber and features special guests.

Ballet & Dance on our Digital Stage

Now More Than Ever: A Film by Ezra Hurwitz for Ballet Across America

Now More Than Ever: A Film by Ezra Hurwitz for Ballet Across America

Dancers Defy Gravity at The Kennedy Center | BANDALOOP

Dancers Defy Gravity at The Kennedy Center | BANDALOOP

The Nashville Ballet feat. Ben Folds | Concerto

The Nashville Ballet feat. Ben Folds | Concerto

Dancing Local

The Washington Ballet

The Washington Ballet

The company is offering live stream open classes, live "pay what you can" classes, and on demand classes for adult program students to keep you moving at home!

Dance Place

Dance Place

The local dance presenter is offering a range of virtual media to stay moving, engage in conversation, and thrive in community with one another.   

Dance Metro DC

Dance Metro DC

DC's dance service organization hosts on their calendar listings for digital dance events presented by artists across the DMV.

Help Inspire Others

The Kennedy Center may be closed, but the arts are still alive! Make a special gift to help support the Center during this unprecedented time.

See you after the intermission!

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve dimmed our lights for a temporary intermission and canceled all public performances and events through Aug. 9, 2020, including some events beyond. We share your disappointment for performances and seasons cut short—nothing can replace the live performing arts. We’re working hard to explore options for rescheduling and can’t wait to welcome you back with extraordinary performances. For the most up-to-date information regarding our response to COVID-19, please visit the Kennedy Center website.

Photos:

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in Camille A. Brown's City of Rain. Photo by Paul Kolnik.

San Francisco Ballet in Justin Peck's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. Photo by Erik Tomasson.

Marzia Memoli in Martha Graham’s Chronicle © Hibbard Nash Photography.

The Washington Ballet Photo by Kelsey Arrington

16 hours ago, canbelto said:

MCB is streaming Firebird on May 29:

I went to the MCB web site to try to find this and especially to make the donation that I gather is required, but can't find anything. Nothing on Instagram either. Do you have a link to this that you could post? I've never seen this in the theater and I'm curious.

Ib Andersen’s Topia Documentary – Streaming Sun & Mon, May 24-25, 2020

Topia, an al fresco, site-specific work, choreographed to Beethoven’s 6th Symphony (Pastorale), was Ib Andersen’s first work to be performed at Phoenix’s Desert Botanical Garden.

This documentary (if it’s the one I’m thinking of), has everything from soup to nuts - starts with site planning at the DBG, through rehearsals, dancer interviews, etc. It only contains about 5 minutes of actual performance (towards the end), but the performance video really does give you a very good feel for what it was like to experience this ballet - outdoors, at night, in the desert. Ballet Arizona will stream it for 48 hours, starting at 9AM PDT, Sunday May 24:

Topia - Desert Ballet (a Documentary)

See full details on the  Ballet Arizona Forum.

Captioned-BA_topia_17-1129-by_iziliaev.jMimi Tompkins, Randy Pacheco, Rochelle Anvik, Riccardo Santos, Sasha Vincett, Helio Lima, and Arianni Martin in Ib Andersen’s Topia, Spring 2016.

Edited by fiddleback

Besides dance performances, it' also possible to listen to podcast interviews. I do recommend listening to NYCB's The Podcast

City Ballet The Podcast (main page)
http://podcast.nycballet.com/

I also recommend to everyone the 2 part interview with Elizabeth Kendall (author of Balanchine & the Lost Muse: Revolution & the Making of a Choreographer) about Balanchine's early life -

Episode 12.1 : Balanchine's Early Life (Part 1)
http://podcast.nycballet.com/episode-21-balanchines-early-life-part-1

Episode 12.2: Balanchine's Early Life (Part 2)
http://podcast.nycballet.com/episode-122-balanchines-eary-life-part-2

And definitely read the book if you haven't already.  😉

Edited by pherank

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere...

Celebrating Isadora Duncan at Jacob's Pillow with Lori Belilove and Sara Mearns

Jacob’s Pillow on YouTube | Wednesday, May 27 | 5pm EDT

"In celebration of modern dance pioneer Isadora Duncan’s upcoming 147th birthday, Jacob’s Pillow will screen an incomparable program of Duncan dances prefaced by a live online conversation with two of the artists. 

Performed by Lori Belilove and the Isadora Duncan Dance Company, with guest artist Sara Mearns of the New York City Ballet, this outdoor presentation on the Pillow’s spectacular Inside/Out Stage from Festival 2019 showcases Duncan’s work in an unforgettable setting."

https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/celebrating-isadora-duncan/

Edited by pherank

32 minutes ago, pherank said:

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere...

Celebrating Isadora Duncan at Jacob's Pillow with Lori Belilove and Sara Mearns

Jacob’s Pillow on YouTube | Wednesday, May 27 | 5pm EDT

"In celebration of modern dance pioneer Isadora Duncan’s upcoming 147th birthday, Jacob’s Pillow will screen an incomparable program of Duncan dances prefaced by a live online conversation with two of the artists. 

Performed by Lori Belilove and the Isadora Duncan Dance Company, with guest artist Sara Mearns of the New York City Ballet, this outdoor presentation on the Pillow’s spectacular Inside/Out Stage from Festival 2019 showcases Duncan’s work in an unforgettable setting."

https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/celebrating-isadora-duncan/

Just wanted to say that I saw this year at the Pillow and although I didn't love the choreography, I thought Sara was beautiful. Here's a sample:

https://danceinteractive.jacobspillow.org/lori-belilove-isadora-duncan-dance-company-featuring-sara-mearns/rose-petals-art-isadora/

So much to love about online streaming.  But so paradoxical - to replace the stage with online viewing.  I hope every ballet company around the world has content to stream and uses this for fundraising.  Hopefully the future will be monthly subscriptions for continued viewing!  Not only will this help with much needed funds, but is creating new generations of donors and supporters of the arts (all of them).  I feel so lucky as I am not a young person any longer, in the theater audience.  Now I am safely viewing at my desk!

Thank you, everyone, for sharing so many great suggestions and links to these streamed performances!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, FPF said:

Just wanted to say that I saw this year at the Pillow and although I didn't love the choreography, I thought Sara was beautiful. Here's a sample:

https://danceinteractive.jacobspillow.org/lori-belilove-isadora-duncan-dance-company-featuring-sara-mearns/rose-petals-art-isadora/

I've never been able to get an idea about what Isadora Duncan's dancing was really like, but this is lovely !  I've read that Anna Pavlova admired her. A most beautiful setting as well.