Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, nanushka said:

I completely agree, Ballo really needs legs. The delightful, musical surprises of the choreography just don’t get pronounced enough on Fairchild, IMO.

Emilie Gerrity was the fourth, IIRC, and yes she’s fantastic.

Thank you for the ID of Gerrity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sofiabn said:

An old performance from State Ballet of Georgia Don Quixote with Lali Kandelaki and Angel Corella!

 

What a treat - thank you! Corella is even better than we remember - the rock-solid pirouettes that go on and on forever, the super-high split jumps, the endless one-arm lifts...best of all, he seems to enjoy himself so much. His enthusiasm is truly infectious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, California said:

What a treat - thank you! Corella is even better than we remember - the rock-solid pirouettes that go on and on forever, the super-high split jumps, the endless one-arm lifts...best of all, he seems to enjoy himself so much. His enthusiasm is truly infectious. 

I agree! He is really fantastic! I didn't remember either how good he was and in this performance he is one of the best Basilio!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dutch National Ballet

 

Saturday 02 May   19.00 Hans van Manen: Part One
Saturday 09 May   19.00 Swan Lake
Saturday 16 May   19.00 Hans van Manen: Part Two

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/online/ballet/streaming

Van Manen Part 1 is Trois Gnossiennes, Solo and Adagio Hammerklavier.  The Swan Lake is by Rudi van Danzig.   Each of their productions has remained up for a week so far. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, Buddy said:

I just watched the first part, George Balanchine's

"Serenade"

Absolutely Gorgeous  !

George Balanchine as  might be performed by the Angels.

Thanks, Jeff-sh.

You might find it interesting now to compare with an old broadcast of NYCB in Serenade, and note the differences in tempo and flow of the dancing. (Unfortunately the video is so blurry that you won't be able to catch small details.) The Russian companies generally try to enhance the classicism of the steps, while the NYCB Balanchine style was more about unrelenting high-speed virtuosity and musicality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9R9S6-9E4

Link to post
Share on other sites

SF Ballet just posted this announcement:

Don’t miss Helgi Tomasson’s Romeo & Juliet streaming on SF Ballet @ Home on Fri, May 8 at 2:30 pm PDT (for one week only!), featuring Mathilde Froustey and Carlo Di Lanno in the title roles, and the 2015 Live from Lincoln Center broadcast performance on Lincoln Center at Home on Mon, May 11 at 2:30 pm PDT featuring Maria Kochetkova and Davit Karapetyan in the title roles.

It was always a treat to get to see Karapetyan dance, and now that he has retired to teach, this is the only chance anyone will get to see him in action. Don't miss it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

English National Ballet's stream this week is Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet with Cojocaru and Hernandez. Available for 48 hours only from 7pm UK time 6th May. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pherank said:

SF Ballet just posted this announcement:

Don’t miss Helgi Tomasson’s Romeo & Juliet streaming on SF Ballet @ Home on Fri, May 8 at 2:30 pm PDT (for one week only!), featuring Mathilde Froustey and Carlo Di Lanno in the title roles, and the 2015 Live from Lincoln Center broadcast performance on Lincoln Center at Home on Mon, May 11 at 2:30 pm PDT featuring Maria Kochetkova and Davit Karapetyan in the title roles.

It was always a treat to get to see Karapetyan dance, and now that he has retired to teach, this is the only chance anyone will get to see him in action. Don't miss it.

So is it two different casts in the SFB R&J? Sorry, not so clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, pherank said:

You might find it interesting now to compare with an old broadcast of NYCB in Serenade, and note the differences in tempo and flow of the dancing. (Unfortunately the video is so blurry that you won't be able to catch small details.) The Russian companies generally try to enhance the classicism of the steps, while the NYCB Balanchine style was more about unrelenting high-speed virtuosity and musicality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9R9S6-9E4

Thanks, Pherank.

I tend to like many interpretations (or parts) from Russia of George Balanchine’s works. This video from the Perm Ballet of "Serenade" and "Ballet Imperial" is certainly one of them.

The video  was taken off the next day. I emailed the company and the lady sent a very nice reply saying that it can’t be run at length on the internet because of copyrights, etc. She did say that the company is hoping that it can be included in a new subscription series that it would like to launch in the middle of June. I certainly look forward to the chance of being able to watch it — a lot.

There are all sorts of ways to interpret and appreciate George Balanchine. I liked very much the way that the Miami City Ballet did it when Edward Villella was there. The company had real personality, sense of family, zest and talent. I haven’t had a chance to see it much since his departure.

One NYCB performance on video from when George Balanchine was there, that I’m very fond of, is Allegra Kent’s and Jacques d’Amboise’s Divertissement Duet from “A Midsummer NIght’s Dream.” It’s so lyrically beautiful with a very thoughtful, sensitive and lovely performance.

I generally like the lyrical, graceful approach to ballet. At this, dancers from Russia often excel.

 

Edited by Buddy
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Roberta said:

So is it two different casts in the SFB R&J? Sorry, not so clear.

Yes, I think that is the case. The Lincoln Center @ Home series is something apart from SFB's streaming presentations that begin on Fridays and run for 1 week each.

Edited by pherank
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Dutch National Ballet Han Van Manen Part 1 last night. I had seen many years ago and many times Pa Ballet perform Adagio Hammerkavier. The dancers are great. Some are not with the company anymore. I did have trouble with the streaming stopping and starting, etc. I wish more companies in the US would perform more of his works. Looking forward to HVM part 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balletgirl22sk said:

I watched the Dutch National Ballet Han Van Manen Part 1 last night. I had seen many years ago and many times Pa Ballet perform Adagio Hammerkavier. The dancers are great. Some are not with the company anymore. I did have trouble with the streaming stopping and starting, etc. I wish more companies in the US would perform more of his works. Looking forward to HVM part 2.

Coincidentally, Sasha Mukhamedov today posted a video of her performance with Jame Stout in Two Gold Variations:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Edited to add: This should not have gone in this thread. Apologies...and I see @imspear posted something about this under a discussion of fundraising--moderators can delete if they wish.

Dancers from all over the world...I quite liked this:

"American Ballet Theatre's Misty Copeland and her former colleague Joseph Phillips have launched the most recent fundraiser: Swans for Relief. They corralled 32 ballet dancers from 14 countries to film themselves performing Mikhail Fokine's Le Cygne (often referred to as 'The Dying Swan') from wherever they're isolating right now. The resulting film strings their movements together one after the other:"

https://www.pointemagazine.com/ballet-dancer-relief-fund-2645934191.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&socialux=facebook&share_id=5523904&utm_medium=social&utm_content=Pointe&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0rvVZLU_tgOQJDdyQtNn1p_8c3gUtjVqLdkUjza6pNvu8aLy58VpPA59s

Edited by Drew
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Hamburg Ballet is streaming John Neumeier's Illusions - like Swan Lake, which recasts the ballet as the story of Ludwig II of Bavaria (contemporary of Tchaikovsky, swan fixation, closeted homosexual, death by drowning) and includes a much earlier redaction of the lakeside scene, staged by Alexandra Danilova, which includes huntsmen, Odette's mime, less familiar corps formations and the adage as a pas de trois. Plus the Black Swan pd2. Online for 48 hours.

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/video_on_demand.php

Filmed in 2001, with Jiří Bubeníček, Carsten Jung, Elizabeth Loscavio, Alexandre Riabko, Silvia Azzoni, Anna Polikarpova, Anna Grabka and Lloyd Riggins.

Edited by volcanohunter
Link to post
Share on other sites

A new work by Miami City Ballet on-line this Friday: 

 

Miami City Ballet marketing@miamicityballet.org via response.wordfly.com 


 
   
 

Join us on Friday at 8pm to salute the essential workers | View in browser

mcb-logo.jpg
renan-dance-for-heroes.jpg
 
 
 

A Dance For Heroes

Inspired by and dedicated to the heroes of the COVID-19 pandemic   

Friday May 8 at 8pm EST on Facebook


Join us on Facebook this Friday night for a special event. Full of love and vitality, A Dance for Heroes is an expression of the generosity and bravery of all of our essential workers who have worked with uncompromising courage and grace throughout this crisis. 

A Dance for Heroes features four extraordinary dancers: MCB Principal dancers Jennifer Lauren and Renan Cerdeiro, and MCB School Pre-professional dancers Taylor Naturkas and Erick Rojas. 

Please join us online this Friday to connect with fellow dance-lovers, and salute the inspiring people that are selflessly caring for others during this challenging time. 

Visit this link to the MCB Facebook page and click ‘Get Reminder’.

We are incredibly grateful to all those that have supported Miami City Ballet during this time. As a non-profit organization, MCB employs over a hundred fiercely dedicated operational and artistic staff members, faculty and dancers to deliver the world-class performances, education and engagement programs that bring arts into the community. As we look ahead to a changed world, we depend on the vital support and generosity of our audiences and donors. If you can help, please consider donating here


untitled-design-20.jpg

Socially Distanced Creation

This new MCB work was created in isolation during the past few weeks. The dancers learned the choreography remotely via video link, and each part was filmed separately at our MCB studios. Read about how the work was created in Artburst here, and watch a sneak peek of behind the scenes here.

480x267-ablaze-copy.jpg

Choreographer Durante Verzola 

This world premiere is choreographed by rising star Durante Verzola. Durante has another world premiere coming up; a Miami-inspired work as part of Ablaze during MCB's 2020/21 Season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A release:

 

NATIONAL DANCE INSTITUTE (NDI) TO HOST FIRST-EVER VIRTUAL GALA, BRINGING COMMUNITY TOGETHER FOR AN EVENING CELEBRATING THE ARTS & ARTS EDUCATION

 

44th Annual Gala To Feature Tributes from 

Alec Baldwin, Josh Groban, Mandy Patinkin, Dharon E. Jones, and More

 

WHAT: National Dance Institute (NDI), the non-profit arts education organization founded in 1976 by legendary New York City Ballet principal dancer, Jacques d’Amboise, will host its 44th Annual Gala: From the Heart remotely this year. NDI’s virtual gala will be an online livestream event of dance, music, and revelry to support the extraordinary work NDI is doing to bring the arts into the lives of children throughout New York City, across the United States, and around the world. More than 60,000 children participate in NDI programs annually. The evening will feature both new and archival performances, celebrity friends of NDI, a tribute to long-time NDI benefactors, Judy & Josh Weston, and of course, the exuberant dancing children of National Dance Institute.

 

WHEN:      Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 7:30 PM EST

 

WHERE:    NDI will livestream the event free of charge on nationaldance.org, Facebook, YouTube, and IGTV.

 

WHY:         The Annual Gala is National Dance Institute’s largest fundraising event and raises $1.5 million annually in support of NDI’s award-winning arts education programs that reach thousands of children every year. Two million children have been impacted by NDI’s programming since its founding in 1976.

 

WHO:        Jacques d’Amboise, renowned ballet dancer and National Dance Institute founder; 

Alec Baldwin, actor; Charlotte d'Amboise, actress and dancer; Josh Groban, singer and actor; Kathryn Grody, actress and writer; Dharon E. Jones, Broadway actor/singer/dancer; Judy Kuhn, singer and actress; Terrence Mann, actor and singer; Jillian Mercado, model/actress/disability activist; Mandy Patinkin, actor and singer; and more. Ellen Weinstein, Artistic Director, and Traci Lester, Executive Director, will also participate in the evening.

In support of its mission, NDI’s Star Committee includes: actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II; composer and conductor David Amram; Charlotte d’Amboise; Alec and Hilaria Baldwin; Mandy Patinkin; Whoopi Goldberg; Mikhail Baryshnikov; Glenn Close; Michael Cerveris; actress and writer Kathryn Grody; Terrence Mann; Lysiane Luong Grooms; Red Grooms; Bill Irwin; Kevin Kline; Rebecca Krohn; Norm Lewis; Ann Martin; Sara Mearns;; Desmond Richardson; Chita Rivera; James Taylor; Edward Villella; Wendy Whelan; and Tony Yazback; American Ballet Theatre dancers Isabella Boylston and Calvin Royal III; and New York City Ballet dancers Tiler Peck, Daniel Ulbricht, Sterling Hyltin, Megan Fairchild, Robert Fairchild, Joaquin De Luz, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Ask la Cour, Teresa Reichlen, and Ashley Bouder.

 For interviews or additional information, please contact Michele O’Mara, NDI’s Chief Advancement Officer, at momara@nationaldance.org. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Hamburg Ballet is streaming John Neumeier's Illusions - like Swan Lake, which recasts the ballet as the story of Ludwig II of Bavaria (contemporary of Tchaikovsky, swan fixation, closeted homosexual, death by drowning) and includes a much earlier redaction of the lakeside scene, staged by Alexandra Danilova, which includes huntsmen, Odette's mime, less familiar corps formations and the adage as a pas de trois. Plus the Black Swan pd2. Online for 48 hours.

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/video_on_demand.php

Filmed in 2001, with Jiří Bubeníček, Carsten Jung, Elizabeth Loscavio, Alexandre Riabko, Silvia Azzoni, Anna Polikarpova, Anna Grabka and Lloyd Riggins.

Does anyone know what is the music at 2 hour 07 minutes?

 

Edited to add:  I have found it. It's from Hamlet Incidental Music. Andante non troppo 

Edited by jeff-sh
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...