This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

He didn't say the word ballet once.

The same introduction precedes other videos (e.g. operas) from the Mariinsky, which may be why it does not reference the specific genre of performance.

Edited by nanushka

12 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I have no inclination to watch Somova's Aurora and even less desire to listen to Gergiev, but the video showed up among my YouTube suggestions, and since fellow posters asked for a translation, I watched the introduction. Gergiev said he was addressing first and foremost Russian lovers of classical music and theater, and went through a long list of cities, where a canceled Mariinsky tour should have taken place. He noted that mariinsky.tv had an international audience and that it had recently passed 28 million views and that in a time of uncertainty, people still wanted to listen to classical music and see their favorite artists. He expressed hope that the theater would soon resume its normal activities and wished everyone to remain safe. He didn't say the word ballet once.

Now I feel like I need a shower, although to be honest, Gergiev looked like he needed one more. :dry:

Thank you for the translation, Volcanohunter.

Ready or not, here it comes...

Closer by Benjamin Millepied

Closer
Choreography: Benjamin Millepied
Music: ‘Mad Rush’ by Philip Glass
Dancers: Maria Kochetkova, Sebastian Kloborg
Pianist: Alexander McKenzie

Very nicely done. Thanks, Pherank.

I still maintain that her two Swan Lakes that I saw at ABT were among the finest that I've seen. Leaving fans after the second performance she was a heart touching, poetic image that I'll never forget.  

24 minutes ago, abatt said:

https://allarts.org/schedule/?program=40996

I happened to stumble on this free opportunity to watch the Mariinsky Ballet in Jewels. Not sure when it was recorded, but Lopatkina and Zelensky appear in Jewels.

If you are in NY and have Spectrum, it will be on channel 1276 at 5:23 PM this afternoon.  Enjoy.

Thanks abatt! I just set it up to DVR it. Zelensky retired maybe 10-15 years ago so it will be interesting to see when this was recorded and who dances the other roles.

At first glance this would be my choice for study of the day.

Oxana Skorik and Konstantin Zverev

Valerie Gergiev conducting.

55:20

https://mariinsky.tv/e

After a second viewing, I would say that Oxana Skorik becomes more beautiful and musical as the work progresses in response to a very danceable and lovely rendering  conducted by Valerie Gergiev.

Edited by Buddy

@Buddy thank you so very much for sharing that Mariinsky link.  I found the Misdummer Night's Dream to be very enjoyable.  It was especially nice to see the beautiful Yana Selina and Zlata Yalinich who has gorgeous legs!  Skorik looked lovely in this role.  

11 hours ago, ECat said:

Skorik looked lovely in this role.  

I essentially just watched the Duet starting at 55:50. Yes, she was lovely. More so as the Duet progressed. For anyone still around -- goodness those hands !

https://mariinsky.tv/e

Edited by Buddy

It would appear that yesterday’s Mariinsky performance is permanently on the internet. And once again — Oxana Skorik — goodness those hands !  Possibly the most beautiful ever !  They make a fine complement to what Valerie Gergiev can do with music. Her hands — I suppose I could do something else with the rest of my life besides watching them.  😊

55:30

Edited by Buddy

For those particularly interested in seeing brand-new content -- complete-ballet performances never before released on DVD or cinemas or streaming -- we have at least three offerings coming today. All three companies have YouTube channels, which should be easily accessible on big-screen televisions...at least they are via my Comcast TV system...speak "YouTube" into the remote control, then search by each company's name. I just checked my YouTube-TV and all three ballets are in the system but won't commence until the indicated starting times. Enjoy.

Coming today, in this order: (all times Eastern US)

5:30PM EST - San Francisco Ballet - Edwaard Liang's The Infinite Ocean to Oliver Davis' music (available through Fri, May 8 at 3pm EST)

8:00PM EST - NYCBallet - Balanchine's Ballo Della Regina (to Verdi music) and Wheeldon's After the Rain PDD (to Aarvo Part)  (available until sometime next Tuesday, when Rubies is uploaded)

10:00PM EST - Pacific Northwest Ballet - Alejandro Cerrudo's One Thousand Pieces to Philip Glass music (avail through May 6 at 10pm EST)