This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

The ROH has announced some free and some paid for streams over Christmas. Details here

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-unveils-biggest-programme-of-streamed-ballet-and-opera-in-its-history-just-in-time-for-christmas?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_Dec_ENews_Friends_04Dec&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=52286

There's a lot in there, so its worth a look. Paid for stream of Enigma Variations from today. Free stream of RB in Don Q and RO in the Magic Flute at some point on You Tube.  But no date for that yet. 

5 hours ago, canbelto said:

Not streaming but Katie Williams uploaded the Winter section of Ratmanskys The Seasons.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIiuStSjIE8/?igshid=i9bjvbofkjrz

It's still streaming, just not one of the usual platforms, and the resolution is really low. 😉  In any case, thank you.

SFB was supposed to perform The Seasons this last spring (it was a co-commission with ABT), but it never happened. And it seems to have been shelved for the time being. Very disappointing for me.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, canbelto said:

Not streaming but Katie Williams uploaded the Winter section of Ratmanskys The Seasons.

Thanks for posting Ratmansky's Winter Season. Intriguing to watch several times over. I didn't know the composer was Glazunov at first and kept thinking it was Tchaikovsky when it was strongest, as during the section where the gnomes are starting fires and playing with flames. Ratmansky's choreography seemed such a strange take on traditional ballet, a little like Ikebana seems to a traditional western flower arranger, with bits of this and that, shorts stems and fat colored leaves or like the mixture of things birds build nests out of. Sometimes Winter looked like Serenade, sometimes Symphony Concertante, which was written for ABT, with one male partnering two or more principal women and a large corps. Ratmansky seems to roughen up traditional classicism by finishing choreographic figures with dancers facing outwards instead of tucked inward, a kind of sawtoothy centrifugal visuality – which refreshens the genre. (Not quite sure how to really characterize and detail it.)

Came across this letter from Tchaikovsky in Florence to Glanunov, in which Tchaikovsky tells G how his trip to Italy hasn't revived his spirits as it usually does, and then in the second part (the whole letter is worth reading) says something that we want more of but which we're never privileged to hear:

I am a great admirer of your talent. I awfully appreciate and highly value the seriousness of your aspirations — your artistic integrity, so to speak. And at the same time I often think about you. I feel that there are some particular inclinations, some sort of single-mindedness, which, in the role of an older and loving friend, I need to caution you about — but I still don't know exactly what to tell you. You are an enigma to me in so many ways. You have the genius, but something is hindering it. You have shown your depth and breadth. Something exceptional is expected from you, but these expectations are only justified to a certain extent. I want to contribute to the full flowering of your talent, I want to be useful to you, but before I decide to tell you something more specific, I need to mull it over. What if you are on exactly the right course, and I simply don't understand you?

http://en.tchaikovsky-research.net/pages/Letter_4018

Edited by Quiggin

Ratmansky also posted Tiler Peck in Pictures at an Exhibition on  instagram.   He posted Winter about the same time as Nutcracker.  

The vaccine Alexei Ratmansky (@alexeiratmansky) • Instagram photos and videos   Mark Ryden  Were the shots originally conceived in the ballet due to Spanish flu epidemic?   WW1 allegories now applicable to covid 19.

Edited by maps

Here's Ratmansky's posting of The Nutcracker pas de deux, with Isabella Boylston & James Whiteside:

"Happy to share this new film of NUTCRACKER pas de deux, starring my dear Isabella BOYLSTON & James WHITESIDE, aka Cindies. The choreography is from ABT's 2010 production, but for this film we decided to use the original Sugar Plum Fairy variation by Lev Ivanov from 1892 (as notated by Nikolai Sergeev). The costumes are by Richard Hudson. I am so grateful to American Ballet Theater, LG Signature, Matador Content and Highline Hotel for making this happen in today's difficult circumstances. And I just can't wait for the time when we can see the full ABT Nutcracker danced live on stage"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZrjjpgbA0/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwQu2iK_1y4

[Camerawork is sometimes fine, sometimes obscuring. I never get the odd decisions to suddenly show a closeup of a dancer's face in the middle of a step, but that's cinema, folks.]

Oh, and here's the direct link to the Tiler Peck whiz-bang sequence:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG1Dk4Eg-Vx/

Edited by pherank

3 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

On YouTube that Nutcracker pas de deux has been watched 119 thousand times, which is a whole lot more than most ABT videos get. I hope the company is paying attention.

Thanks for the reminder, Volcanhunter - I added the YouTube link above.  ;)

12 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

On YouTube that Nutcracker pas de deux has been watched 119 thousand times, which is a whole lot more than most ABT videos get. I hope the company is paying attention.

Totally agree! And it looks like A Night at the Ballet next weekend, from Live Arts Global, also got the message. Judging from their Instagram postings, they're planning classics like Don Q and R&J PdD.

I know a lot of dancers are busy creating new work and giving streamed interviews, but I prefer comfort food while we try to get through this pandemic.

https://www.liveartsglobal.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgLczqnytv/

Edited by California

13 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

There are a number of different messages they may see in those numbers, though — e.g. they may determine that dancers with large social media followings should be featured over others, or that Nutcracker is uniquely popular.

Edited by nanushka

I suppose no one would be surprised by the popularity of The Nutcracker. ABT is almost unique in being unable to make a go of it.

I would hope that ABT might conclude that viewers demand better production values than what the company typically offers, or that maybe viewers want to see classical vocabulary, or that if they're going to post short works or excerpts, they should at least be unabridged.

Edited by volcanohunter

57 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

I would hope that ABT might conclude that viewers demand better production values than what the company typically offers, or that maybe viewers want to see classical vocabulary, or that if they're going to post short works or excerpts, they should at least be unabridged.

I would hope exactly the same — just not holding my breath!

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Thanks for posting!  Peter Walker choreographed an ad for Sotheby's with dancing beginning at 5:34 Sotheby's & NYCB: Festival of Wonder - YouTube

There's a marvelous pre pandemic SFB filmed on a dock  After The Rain  Damian Smith and Yuan Yuan Tan in Christopher Wheeldon's After The Rain - video Dailymotion  This is a great example of choreography that is able to be done on non-standard surfaces.  ABT buried fine new pandemic digital in other releases:  Boylston-Whiteside Dock Swan Lake at 11:19 in MOVING STORIES: AN ABT FILM FESTIVAL | Day Two - YouTube  and   Hammoudi's Brandt-Cornejo at 4:20 in MOVING STORIES: AN ABT FILM FESTIVAL | Day One - YouTube  . 

Have you seen The Waterbird? Sarah Lane (Ballet Coach for the project) posted about this on Instagram - her husband filmed and directed the shots. Choreography is by the young Ava Van Wie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIi5VkrHUAY/

"The Waterbird is a children's ballet adapted into a film by Luis Ribagorda. It is meant to give the viewer the feeling of watching a life performance. The ballet was choreographed by Ava Van Wie, composed by Charles Chaitman and produced by Sasha Hurowitz. [Performed by] 14 year old students at the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School. The children wanted to continue to create and bring joy to people during the COVID-19 quarantine. This film was shot by a one-man crew in the course of two days under a very strict schedule and guidelines."

Here's the complete film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUV6woCIt18

Edited by pherank

12 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The online ballet gala organized by Christine Shevchenko. Available until December 20.

I watched last night and enjoyed it. More lemonade from lemons! I always enjoy seeing new pairings (something Vail does well) and they had several. So nice to see Sarah Lane with Daniel Ulbricht! Shevchenko with Bell and MacKay was wonderful to see, as well.

Classical gala PdD, nicely-performed -- Nutcracker PdD, Don Q, R&J, Flower Festival. They got permission for using the choreography of MacMillan, etc. The performing space seemed a little cramped, but okay. I hope they are able to raise some money for this and do another in the spring.