This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

I haven't tested to see if the Zurich offerings are available longer than advertised, but the Verdi Requiem was always meant to be a longer online run, from today (Sunday, 5 April) through Saturday,11 April.

There's a lot of stuff available in the UK which should be available globally. 

National Theatre - one play a week, starting off with One Man, Two Guvnors, available on YouTube

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/nt-at-home

Hampstead Theatre, again one play per week

https://www.hampsteadtheatre.com/

Royal Opera House, again one production per week

https://www.roh.org.uk/streaming

• Acis and Galatea, The Royal Opera, 2009 – 3 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • Così fan tutte, The Royal Opera, 2010 – 10 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • The Metamorphosis, The Royal Ballet, 2013 – 17 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • Gloriana, The Royal Opera, 2013 – 24 April 2020, 7pm BST
  • The Winter’s Tale, The Royal Ballet, 2014 – 1 May 2020, 7pm BST

Sadler's Wells

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2020/digital-stage/

Marquee TV is offering a free 30 day trial.  I haven't tried this out, but the link is here, and there looks to be a fair mount vailable, including the Akram Khan Giselle. 

https://www.marquee.tv/

Knowing that you will all need something light, fluffy, and amusing, Stuttgart Ballet has scheduled for their YouTube channel this weekend.....
Mayerling!

The Stuttgart production with new sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose will be online for 24 hours from April 11th, 18.00 CET to April 12th, 18.00 CET on Stuttgart Ballet's Youtube Chanel

https://www.youtube.com/c/dasstuttgarterballett

The cast is the premiere cast at Stuttgart, with Friedemann Vogel (Rudolf), Elisa Badenes (Mary), Miriam Kacerova (Elisabeth), Alicia Amatriain (Larisch), Diana Ionescu (Stephanie), Anna Osadcenko (Mizzi), Marcia Haydée (Sophie) and Egon Madsen (Franz Josef).

Not to be missed!

Bayerische Staatsoper is also doing free streaming:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/news/online-schedule-until-19-april.html

Through April 8, they're showing the modern dress Lucia di Lammermoor from 2015 with Diana Damrau and Pavol Breslik.  She does the mad scene with a gun, and this is one to see as well as hear.  Also through April 8 they have their second Monday concert, and members of the Bavarian State Ballet perform excerpts from Lady of the Camellias (Neumeier)

The Lady of the Camellias - Choreography: John Neumeier

Act 2, Country
Variations: Prisca Zeisel (Prudence) and Dmitrii Vyskubenko (Gaston)
On the piano: Simon Murray

Taming the Unruly - Choreography: John Cranko

Act 2, closing-Pas-de-Deux
Laurretta Summerscales (Catherine) and Yonah Acosta (Petrucchio)

Other operas playing now are

• through April 13: Parsifal, with Jonas Kaufmann, Nina Stemme, Rene Pape, Christian Gerhaher
  • through April 18: L'Elisir d'amore, with Ailyn Perez and Matthew Polenzani

And starting later in April:

• from April 10:  Portrait of Wayne McGregor
  • from April 11: Die Frau ohne Schattent
  • from April 18: Boris Godunov

From the Times too, not streaming but clipped –

Paul Taylor solo from Episodes – Michael Trusnov. Balanchine following out his ideas in the Melancholic vein but harder –

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/arts/dance/trusnovec-episodes.html

Lauren Lovette and Joseph Gordon in Violin Concerto. How sweet and different an interpretation, not lacking though in the right amount of astringency. Linked earlier by bellawood but worth revisiting –

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/arts/dance/stravinsky-violin-concerto-lauren-lovette-joe-gordon.html

Set among the water towers Hilla & Berndt Becher later photographed, Trisha Brown's Roof piece, recreated as Room/Roof on many little Zoomy screens –

https://trishabrowncompany.org

https://www.benbrownfinearts.com/exhibitions/97/overview/

Edited by Quiggin

1 hour ago, tpc said:

On YouTube, Perm Ballet is showing a Robbins evening of The 4 Seasons and The Concert.

What a treat! It would be nice, of course, if NYCB had recordings of these ballets that they would share...

Here's the link: 

28 minutes ago, California said:

What a treat! It would be nice, of course, if NYCB had recordings of these ballets that they would share...

Agreed, and I think it'd be nice if the New York companies started sharing any new (or even recycled but freshly or more officially available) performance content at this time, as so many other companies (especially abroad) have done. I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so, but if there's ever a time to work past those, now is it. So far their offerings (e.g. social media features with dancers) have been disappointingly meager. If they want to maintain public engagement and encourage financial support, I think it would be very wise of them to consider sharing more. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

Edited by nanushka

6 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Agreed, and I think it'd be nice if the New York companies started sharing any new performance content at this time, as so many other companies (especially abroad) have done. I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so, but if there's ever a time to work past those, now is it. So far their offerings have been disappointingly meager. If they want to maintain public engagement and encourage financial support, I think it would be very wise of them to consider sharing more. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

It looks that European companies are more generous during these hard times, as they share their performances freely and for everyone around the world!

The Hamburg Ballet has just posted John Neumeier's St. Matthew Passion. It will be available for 48 hours from 16:30 CEST and then repeated for another 48 hours on April 18.

https://www.hamburgballett.de/de/news/video_on_demand.php 

There will be further streams of Lady of the Camellias, Death in Venice, Beethoven Project and Illusions, like Swan Lake (the last being particularly interesting for the "period" staging of the white act, including huntsmen and the adage as a pas de trois).

Edited by volcanohunter

18 minutes ago, sofiabn said:

It looks that European companies are more generous during these hard times, as they share their performances freely and for everyone around the world!

I remember the struggle to release the 1977 ABT Giselle with Makarova/Baryshnikov. When it was first shown on TV, it didn't occur to people that there would be a market for videotapes and none of that had been anticipated in the contractual arrangements with all the unions involved (dancers, musicians, stagehands, etc.) They had to go back and work all that out. There was also a very long delay in releasing the 1976 PBS show Live from Wolf Trap with Baryshnikov and Kirkland. We learned much later that part of the delay was Kirkland's reluctance and the statement from her at the end was a result of those negotiations. And some of us are old enough to remember that the program actually opened with the first movement of Push Comes to Shove. That was shown in the PBS broadcast, but omitted from the video (presumably at the insistence of Tharp).

I've just assumed that agreements  with European and Russian companies for future release take all of that into account and make it much easier for them to release these things, in comparison with the negotiations needed with North American unions, even now. Of course, it costs money to make broadcast quality recordings and release them. With the paucity of government subsidies in the US (compared with the European and Russian companies), it all makes sense. I'm just grateful that so much is available from the European and Russian companies.

I don't know what arrangements the Mariinsky or the Perm opera house have made, but Bolshoi Ballet recordings are actually owned by Bel Air Classiques, not the Bolshoi Theater, which is why normally they are streamed only for 24 hours and only on Russian territory. (The Bolshoi's geoblock is porous, but I don't like to draw attention to that fact on a public forum.) Presumably it made special arrangements with Bel Air Classiques to stream internationally under the circumstances, though again, only for 24 hours, and so far it has shown only ballet performances that have already been released on DVD, which may be a condition of the streams. Sort of as a full-length advertisement for the DVDs. (Again, it's Bel Air Classiques that gets to decide which of the cinemacasts are released on DVD, and most of them are not.)

5 hours ago, nanushka said:

Agreed, and I think it'd be nice if the New York companies started sharing any new (or even recycled but freshly or more officially available) performance content at this time, as so many other companies (especially abroad) have done. I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so, but if there's ever a time to work past those, now is it. So far their offerings (e.g. social media features with dancers) have been disappointingly meager. If they want to maintain public engagement and encourage financial support, I think it would be very wise of them to consider sharing more. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

I posted this elsewhere, but for SFB to make a streaming broadcast available (for 3 weeks?) of Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream -

"San Francisco Ballet extends special thanks to The George Balanchine Trust, San Francisco Opera, Pacific Northwest Ballet and its Artistic Director Peter Boal, Artistic Director, San Francisco War Memorial & Performing Arts Center, the American Guild of Musical Artists, American Federation of Musicians, International Alliance for Theatre Stage Employees, Local 16, Theatrical Wardrobe Union, Local 784, and Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild, Local 706, for their support in making the streamed presentation of San Francisco Ballet’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream possible." [quoted from the video stream web page]

4 hours ago, sofiabn said:

Different countries have different laws regarding licensing and copyright. Note that state-sponsored companies can afford to be more generous than private ballet companies - to a point of course.

Edited by pherank

12 minutes ago, pherank said:

Different countries have different laws regarding licensing and copyright. Note that state-sponsored companies can afford to be more generous than private ballet companies - to a point of course.

That is certainly true, and something that this crisis has brought to the forefront.  I know that I am going to subscribe to Wiener Staatsoper paid screening, once it's restricted again, and I will become a member of the Met Opera Guild again, because of the feeds they've been making available.  I know that when I can travel again, Belgian opera houses are doing visually arresting operas -- I'd only seen a staged version of La Sonnambula in Antwerp about a dozen years ago -- and now that will be a destination, when it's safe.

I'm not sure the numbers will be great, but hopefully the goodwill won't vanish, as well as how clear the opportunities and advantages to making content available online has, even if not directly monetized.

The Australian Ballet has started streaming some of its telecasts, but they are geoblocked outside the country. I have every reason to think the company would love to show its productions to the world; it is an enthusiastic participant in World Ballet Day. But when it comes to streaming filmed performances, the company can go only as far as the Australian Broadcasting Corporation will allow. 

Similarly, several streams from the Paris Opera have been geoblocked, because the content is owned by French state television, and not all ballet performances on Raiplay can be viewed outside of Italy.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

I know that I am going to subscribe to Wiener Staatsoper paid screening, once it's restricted again

A few days ago the Austrian government ordered theaters to remain closed through the end of June, and in response the Vienna State Opera announced that it will continue streaming free performances. :wub:

P.S. In an astonishingly niggardly and quite scandalous interview published today, the general director of the Bolshoi Theatre stated that showing too many free streams leads to shrinking audiences. :ermm: Although he also expressed confidence that nothing can replace the excitement of live theater. :dry:

Edited by volcanohunter

I would like to mention once again, Volcanohunter, that I had tickets to see three Bolshoi performances the beginning of the month and the theater quickly refunded all my money without my ever contacting it. It was a pleasant surprise. The Mariinsky, on the other hand, and I'm not saying that it's wrong, is trying to reschedule all cancelled performances. Refunds are apparently available but I've not received any notice of it.

Also an Aeroflot plane flight and an express train ticket from St. Petersburg to Moscow that I couldn't use (but were maybe cancelled) were refunded immediately without my inquiring.

Edited by Buddy

7 hours ago, Buddy said:

I would like to mention once again, Volcanohunter, that I had tickets to see three Bolshoi performances the beginning of the month and the theater quickly refunded all my money without my ever contacting it.

And so did I, but that has nothing to do with online streaming.