This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

3 hours ago, naomikage said:

Sleeping Beauty by Mariinsky Ballet Primorsky Stage, starring Ekaterina Osmolkina and Kimin Kim, starting in an hour. 

What a treat to see Kimin Kim -- I saw him at the Kennedy Center in La Bayadere and looked forward to seeing him again with ABT. 

His technique is rock solid and elegant, but the partnering often seemed a little shaky to me - like having to re-grab her to get a good hold. I wonder if they have performed much together before. I don't remember that from his partnership with Tereshkina.

I think this is available for 24 hours.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but the upcoming Dance week at Lincoln Center looks great: http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/dance-week

Welcome to Dance Week at Lincoln Center at Home from Saturday, May 30 to Thursday, June 4. The offerings, which will be streamed at LincolnCenter.org and on Lincoln Center’s Facebook Page, were filmed during more than 40 years of performances on the Lincoln Center Campus by such renowned institutions as Ballet Hispánico, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, The School of American Ballet, and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.  

Some of the broadcasts have not been seen in decades, including landmark New York City Ballet works by George Balanchine, the company’s co-founder, with some dancers in the roles that Balanchine created for them. Dance Week will include special themed Pop-Up Classrooms, with a full schedule to be announced soon.

Saturday, May 30 at 2:00pm ET
fq3j6mceaploze6rr29h

Ballet Hispánico will “whisk us away to contemporary dance’s hottest spot“ (Washington Post) in this showcase of Latin-inspired contemporary dance at its best.

Add to Calendar 
Saturday, May 30 at 8:00pm ET
gj2x8sdlacxsnftikluw

George Balanchine’s enchanting ballet based on Shakespeare’s comedy comes to magical life in this 1986 Live From Lincoln Center broadcast with the New York City Ballet.

Add to Calendar 
Sunday, May 31 at 8:00pm ET
ez9urtjz8dyp71tftfo5

An evening of repertory includes the Act III Grand Pas de Deux of Don Quixote, Fokine’s Les Sylphides, Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, and Fokine’s Firebird.

Add to Calendar 
Monday, June 1 at 7:00pm ET
ghlnpxzkvcyhgruijbkx

Outstanding highlights of SAB’s annual Workshop Performances, with commentary from the school’s leaders, faculty, and distinguished alumni Justin Peck and Maria Kowroski.

Add to Calendar 
Tuesday, June 2 at 8:00pm ET
iobm4q9sunhklyocczne

George Balanchine’s and Alexandra Danilova’s comic ballet, with music by Léo Delibes, centers on a mechanical girl with whom the hero falls in love.

Add to Calendar 
Wednesday, June 3 at 8:00pm ET
mxtm568n0wjtbeso6cjh

A month after the great George Balanchine passed away, New York City Ballet threw this loving tribute to its co-founder, with dances set to Strauss, Tchaikovsky, and Gershwin.

Add to Calendar 
Thursday, June 4 at 8:00pm ET
ftamwsqziqy5l14gmfjm

Witness a masterpiece of American dance, Alvin Ailey’s Revelations, in a program including Wayne McGregor’s  Chroma, Ronald K.  Brown’s  Grace, and Robert Battle’s  Takademe.

Add to Calendar 

20 minutes ago, FPF said:

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but the upcoming Dance week at Lincoln Center looks great: http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/dance-week

Welcome to Dance Week at Lincoln Center at Home from Saturday, May 30 to Thursday, June 4. The offerings, which will be streamed at LincolnCenter.org and on Lincoln Center’s Facebook Page, were filmed during more than 40 years of performances on the Lincoln Center Campus by such renowned institutions as Ballet Hispánico, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, The School of American Ballet, and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.  

Some of the broadcasts have not been seen in decades, including landmark New York City Ballet works by George Balanchine, the company’s co-founder, with some dancers in the roles that Balanchine created for them. Dance Week will include special themed Pop-Up Classrooms, with a full schedule to be announced soon.

Saturday, May 30 at 2:00pm ET
fq3j6mceaploze6rr29h

Ballet Hispánico will “whisk us away to contemporary dance’s hottest spot“ (Washington Post) in this showcase of Latin-inspired contemporary dance at its best.

Add to Calendar 
Saturday, May 30 at 8:00pm ET
gj2x8sdlacxsnftikluw

George Balanchine’s enchanting ballet based on Shakespeare’s comedy comes to magical life in this 1986 Live From Lincoln Center broadcast with the New York City Ballet.

Add to Calendar 
Sunday, May 31 at 8:00pm ET
ez9urtjz8dyp71tftfo5

An evening of repertory includes the Act III Grand Pas de Deux of Don Quixote, Fokine’s Les Sylphides, Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, and Fokine’s Firebird.

Add to Calendar 
Monday, June 1 at 7:00pm ET
ghlnpxzkvcyhgruijbkx

Outstanding highlights of SAB’s annual Workshop Performances, with commentary from the school’s leaders, faculty, and distinguished alumni Justin Peck and Maria Kowroski.

Add to Calendar 
Tuesday, June 2 at 8:00pm ET
iobm4q9sunhklyocczne

George Balanchine’s and Alexandra Danilova’s comic ballet, with music by Léo Delibes, centers on a mechanical girl with whom the hero falls in love.

Add to Calendar 
Wednesday, June 3 at 8:00pm ET
mxtm568n0wjtbeso6cjh

A month after the great George Balanchine passed away, New York City Ballet threw this loving tribute to its co-founder, with dances set to Strauss, Tchaikovsky, and Gershwin.

Add to Calendar 
Thursday, June 4 at 8:00pm ET
ftamwsqziqy5l14gmfjm

Witness a masterpiece of American dance, Alvin Ailey’s Revelations, in a program including Wayne McGregor’s  Chroma, Ronald K.  Brown’s  Grace, and Robert Battle’s  Takademe.

Add to Calendar 

Holy Moly! What a week this is going to be. And May 31: the legendary performance of T&V by Kirkland-Baryshnikov! Until now, the only way to see this is that hideously blurred version on YouTube - or a trip to the NYPL Dance Collection. For years/decades people like us have been pleading for them to release this on VHS/DVD. Be still my heart!

8 minutes ago, California said:

Holy Moly! What a week this is going to be. And May 31: the legendary performance of T&V by Kirkland-Baryshnikov! Until now, the only way to see this is that hideously blurred version on YouTube - or a trip to the NYPL Dance Collection. For years/decades people like us have been pleading for them to release this on VHS/DVD. Be still my heart!

Holy Moly indeed! So exciting! (I wonder if the streams will be available for 24 hours...)

37 minutes ago, Rosa said:

Holy Moly indeed! So exciting! (I wonder if the streams will be available for 24 hours...)

There's an article in Broadway World that says that the NYCB streams will be available for 45 (!!!) days. No mention of the other companies.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lincoln-Center-Announces-Dance-Week-Featuring-New-York-City-Ballet-American-Ballet-Theatre-and-More-20200514

16 hours ago, naomikage said:

Sleeping Beauty by Mariinsky Ballet Primorsky Stage, starring Ekaterina Osmolkina and Kimin Kim, starting in an hour. 

That was wonderful -- from Kim and Osmolkina to the very appreciative audience. When did the Mariinsky change their sets? The new ones are beautiful. This was the first time I've seen Cinderella and her Prince have more than just a walk on appearance, and really enjoyed their dance. 

25 minutes ago, Rosa said:

This was the first time I've seen Cinderella and her Prince have more than just a walk on appearance, and really enjoyed their dance. 

It's a standard feature of Russian and post-Soviet productions. Ratmansky's production also includes it, but the choreography is conspicuously different. 

The performance was filmed at the Mariinsky's "branch" in Vladivostok, which is 6,500 km east of St. Petersburg, so naturally the theater there has its own sets and costumes.

Edited by volcanohunter

It's not exactly performance streaming, but the NYPL's Jerome Robbins Dance Division is making some dance-related materials available online that you can access even if you don't have an NYPL library card:

1) Dance Oral Histories:

"Would you like dance stories while social distancing? Tune in at: https://www.nypl.org/blog/2020/04/21/dance-oral-history, for excerpts from recent Dance Oral History Project interviews with Sandra Rivera, Ishmael Houston-Jones, Dyane Harvey-Salaam, Janet Adler, Pat Catterson, Heather Cornell, and more!"

2) Dance Division Coloring Books:

"The staff of the Jerome Robbins Dance Division are excited to bring to you our first volume of colorable images from the Dance Division in The New York Public Library’s Digital Collections! We’ve selected 10 images of dancers moving together that we hope you’ll enjoy coloring, whether on your digital device or printed out on paper. We know many of you have found coloring to be a creative and relaxing activity at this time, and what better inspiration than images of dance?"

Jerome Robbins Dance Division Coloring Book: Volume 1

"We hope you enjoyed volume 1 of our coloring books, featuring items from the Jerome Robbins Dance Division's collections in The New York Public Library’s Digital Collections! For volume 2, we turned to collaborations between visual artists and dancers to find images to share with you. These are 10 of the more than 3,000 original works of art in the Dance Division's physical collections, and include the work of four visual artists: Boris Anisfeld, Léon Bakst, Natalia Goncharova, and Rouben Ter-Arutunian.

We hope just as dance inspired these and other artists to produce beautiful art, so too will your lives be brightened as you create your own versions of these masterpieces.  

As always, we invite you to post your finished image on our Facebook and Twitter feeds (#danceincolor), or you can email your masterpiece to dance@nypl.org."

Jerome Robbins Dance Division Coloring Books: Volume 2

3) Online Jigsaw Puzzles posted at jigsawplanet.com. https://www.jigsawplanet.com/JeromeRobbinsDanceDivision

4) The Jerome Robbins Dance Division continues to make many of the digitized items in its collection freely available online via both its own web portal (https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/divisions/jerome-robbins-dance-division) and The Digital Public Library of America: (https://dp.la/search?partner="The New York Public Library"&provider="Jerome Robbins Dance Division. The New York Public Library"&page=1) Note that not all of the NYPL Dance Division items are available online: many of the performance videos can only be viewed on the Library's premises even though there's a thumbnail of the video displayed on the digital assets page.

ETA: I forgot to include a link to the NYPL Jerome Robbins Dance Division home page. Here it is: https://www.nypl.org/locations/divisions/jerome-robbins-dance-division

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

ABT did Anastasia for one season many years ago, with Viviana Durante as a guest artist I believe.  It ranks among the worst ballets I've ever seen.  Not even the starry Ms. Osipova could motivate me to watch it again, ever.

I can't argue with you there. I posted the link in case anyone's interested, but have no intention of watching myself, even though one of my teachers was in the original cast. I do, however, have powerful memories of Lynn Seymour when London Festival Ballet performed the final act in isolation in New York.

It may be available for a short period but I liked this Coppelia from Novosibirsk Ballet. Anna Jarova is just lovely with good technique and the production, especially the costumes are lovely.

https://www.russianseasons.org/ru/live/balet-koppeliya-spektakl-novosibirskogo-gosudarstvennogo-akademicheskogo-teatra-opery-i-baleta/ 

Edited by naomikage
typo

12 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

It's a standard feature of Russian and post-Soviet productions. Ratmansky's production also includes it, but the choreography is conspicuously different. 

The performance was filmed at the Mariinsky's "branch" in Vladivostok, which is 6,500 km east of St. Petersburg, so naturally the theater there has its own sets and costumes.

Thank you very much for the info, volcanohunter!

Swan Lake by various ballet companies next weeks!

Opera di Roma 
chor. Benjamin Pech
with  Anna Nikulina & Semyon Chudin

Bashopera Ballet
chor. Y. Grigorovich

English National Ballet
Derek Deane’s version
Jurgita Dronina and Isaac Hernández

Edited by sofiabn

Ballet Arizona will stream George Balanchine’s Square Dance on Sunday, May 17, 2020, starting at 9AM PDT, lasting for 24 hours only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mXs2t6YQvI

I’ll post casting and commentary on BAZ’s forum, once the video becomes available.

Also upcoming:

·         Topia: Desert Dance (A Documentary) – May 24, 2020

o   Danced on a custom-crafted, 80-foot-wide panoramic stage with the Desert Botanical Garden serving as the ultimate backdrop, Ballet Arizona performed Topia to sold-out crowds and became the most presented work from Ballet Arizona at the Garden. Don’t miss ‘Topia: Desert Dance‘ – a documentary on the creation of this innovative outdoor ballet, choreographed specifically for the Garden and inspired by the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert landscape.

·         Symphony in Three Movements – May 31, 2020

Edited by fiddleback
Updated video link.