This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

For PNB fans, Eric Hipolito Jr. danced the Moors Dance (the couple in white).  I also just saw in the Balanchine Catalogue that the original Harlequin was Marie-Jeanne, for whom Balanchine choreographed the leads in Concerto Barocco and Ballet Imperial. 

Ballet Arizona will stream George Balanchine’s La Sonnambula for 24 hours on Sunday, May 10, beginning at 9AM PDT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIoSHT7-L8U

This La Sonnambula is indeed a special treat – featuring Natalia Magnicaballi’s May 2018 farewell performance with Ballet Arizona. Complete with final wild applause, flowers, confetti from the heavens, and even an onstage hug from Ib Andersen.

Here’s the top-notch cast from the posted video, which is very nice quality:

The Coquette              Mimi Tompkins

The Baron                   Brian Leonard

The Poet                      Helio Lima

The Sleepwalker         Natalai Magnicaballi

Pastorale                     Kaelyn Magee, Alison Remmers, Annier Navarro, Erick Garnica

Pas de Deux                Arianni Marin, Eric Hipolito Jr.

Harlequin                    Alejandro Mendez

And for Magnicaballi fans (like me), this is she.  (No complaints about the excellent Jillian Barrell, who opened the run.)  No dancer credits on YT so far, so: her Poet is Helio Lima.  If this is the performance of May 4 (2018), The Coquette is Mimi Tompkins; Brian Leonard is The Baron.  Eric Hipolito's partner is Arianni Martin.  Harlequin is Ricardo Santos; and the Pastorale dancers are Kaelyn Magee, Alison Remmers, Annier Navarro, and Erick Garnica.  (I'm posting from one of my cast lists, where I noted no substitutions; apologies for any inaccuracies.) 

It would be interesting to post the Guests, inasmuch as many dancers alternated in soloist roles, to show the repertory-company nature of this unranked company of 29, but I'm not absolutely certain which of Magnicaballi's three performances we see here.  You'll also notice the musical credits below the video window on YT; BA's Balanchine weekend is typically danced to recorded music, although their other programs may get live accompaniment.  

Edited by Jack Reed

Whoops!  This is what happens when fans start talking at once.  Thanks, fiddleback, we're in agreement except for the Harlequin:  Do you recognize Mendez?  My cast list has Santos in Magnicaballi's cast, but I don't know the company that well. 

I'm guessing it was the last one, based on the confetti that dropped from the ceiling and her happy dance.  I don't remember that from any other of her performances that weekend.  What I do remember wsa how gracious she was during the curtain calls of what might have been her last Prodigal Son, in which one of the Prodigal's two friends was also retiring, and she gave him the spotlight.

I don't think there's been live music for the All Balanchine program since one rep got dropped, and All Balanchine moved into the May slot, when before then, it was in June, with the Phoenix Symphony.  That usually coincided with PNB's closing weekend, and I used to fly down for part of the Ballet Arizona program and back for the last day of the PNB season, including Season Encores.

According to Ballet Arizona's Facebook Page, the performance will be available until 9am MST on Monday, May 11, for those who stay up past midnight or get up early.

Jack, isn't this a magnificent cast? And a surprisingly great video recording!!

FYI, the cast list has one inaccuracy - the Harlequin was actually danced by Alejandro Mendez. It's a little hard to tell during the dance because he's wearing a mask, but it's clearly Alejandro when they're taking their bows. Not sure why they switched...

First, yes, it is a magnificent cast!  And second, yes it is a magnificent cast!  And thirdly, it's a good video, no "partials", etc., but pretty intelligent and tasteful use of one camera.  (Not easy, with so many dancers on stage!  I've tried it myself, with fewer.)  But fourthly, watching the video some more, and having a look at the thumbnail images in the program, I definitely agree, this is Mendez.  If there was an announcement, it went by me, as they tend to.

Just adding:  This cast numbers about 28 or so; the roster in the program adds up to 29; everybody is in this - that points to my point about this being a true repertory company - everybody, the company, dances - it's a magnificent company.  (I miss 'em, quite frankly.)

Edited by Jack Reed
making the point about this repertory company

On 5/9/2020 at 9:25 AM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Sigh. I made a donation, but never got the invite. $$$ for a good cause, nonetheless.

They're also running a video of their final program June 5-10, including video tributes to Ben Griffiths and Maggie Mullin, who are both retiring.  Your donation should give you a "ticket" to that one -- let me know if you need help finding the right person to contact.

In addition to the avalanche of stuff online right now, this might be an interesting thing to check out -- Northwest Arts Streaming Hub is a new project by a collection of performing arts folks in my part of the world -- it's basically an aggregator for organizations that have online content.  They will link you directly to those groups (sorted by art form) so that you can watch them in their own location (which may or may not have a pay to play aspect, but NASH does not charge anything to viewer or arts organization)

It's geographically based, and right now most of the dance content is modern or contemporary in nature, but if it takes off, it should be a wonderful tool for those of us who can't always travel to see stuff.

5 hours ago, naomikage said:

Stuttgart Ballet, Cranko's masterpiece Initials R.B.M.E. from Thursday to Sunday. 

Does anyone here have the link to their YouTube location?  I've read about this ballet for years, but never seen it!

23 minutes ago, sandik said:

Does anyone here have the link to their YouTube location?  I've read about this ballet for years, but never seen it!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk9WDFKf3TjXwk1rf1tgfGg/featured

Not listed yet, but this is where I'll look.

Their web site says it will be available there and on YouTube:

https://www.stuttgart-ballet.de/

Edited by California

6 hours ago, California said:

San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet is starting now on Lincoln Center at Home with Kochetkova.

Same choreography and settings as the 2018 version with Mathilde Froustey - many good performances in this 2015 production (with a mostly different cast). As I complained of elsewhere, the camerawork reminds me more of what I would expect to see used with an opera production - lot's of closeups and zooms. But many of the edits and camera shots are distracting and simply obscure the dancing and group scenes.

2 hours ago, pherank said:

Same choreography and settings as the 2018 version with Mathilde Froustey - many good performances in this 2015 production (with a mostly different cast). As I complained of elsewhere, the camerawork reminds me more of what I would expect to see used with an opera production - lot's of closeups and zooms. But many of the edits and camera shots are distracting and simply obscure the dancing and group scenes.

The same or  maybe worst the English National Ballet's R & J with A. Cojocaru!

Long distance shooting with closeups and zooms for just few seconds!!!

From the UK:

The ROH offerings are up for quite a while - The Winters Tale (Wheeldon) is up until 1 May with the original first cast from 2014

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-winters-tale-stream-details

This week's ENB stream is Fantastic Beings by Aszure Barton

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/fantastic-beings-aszure-barton/

Coming soon from 15th May for a week from Sadlers Wells is Cloud Gate Dance Theatre 

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2020/digital-stage-cloud-gate-dance-theatre-of-taiwan-moon-water/

National Theatre live has 4 new plays streaming over the next four weeks. These include  21- 28 May Gillian Andersen in A Streetcar named Desire and  on 4 - 11th June Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus, the Donmar production. It was extremely difficult to get tickets for these at the time

Their Youtube channel is here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUDq1XzCY0NIOYVJvEMQjqw

Kent Stowell's Swan Lake Free Full Recording Pacific Northwest Ballet on Friday, May 22 at 7pm PST

The film will be available for viewing through Wednesday, May 27 at 11:59pm PST.

CASTING
Odette/Odile - Noelani Pantastico
Prince Siegfriend - Seth Orza

Originally filmed at the dress rehearsal of Swan Lake on February 1, 2018.