This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

On this 75th anniversary of VE day, Perm Opera Ballet has posted an interesting one-hour documentary. It includes extensive b&w footage from WWII, interspersed with interviews with elderly people who seem to be speaking about those experiences. No translations from the Russian, alas. I have spoken with Colorado Ballet Russians trained at Perm. They speak fondly of how the Kirov and Vaganova school were evacuated from Leningrad during the War to Perm. Even today they take great pride in their Vaganova traditions. If anybody on here can give us a sense of the Russian interviews, please do.

Although it's not free, any donation amount will gain you access to PNB "Giselle" streaming tonight 7pm Pacific time:

*PNB News* This Friday, we're celebrating our supporters by sharing PNB's Opening Night performance of Giselle in 2014 with Kaori Nakamura and Jerome Tisserand in the leads.

Ticket buyers and donors will find an email invite in their inbox Friday with our House Party 2.0 - everything you need for digitally curated PNB evening at home (including recipes and giveaways from our friends at Fran's Chocolates).

There's still time to get on the guest list! Invites will be sent Friday for gifts of any size >> http://bit.ly/PNBReliefFund

1 hour ago, mussel said:

Although it's not free, any donation amount will gain you access to PNB "Giselle" streaming tonight 7pm Pacific time:

It's already streaming and definitely worth it! So many details that vary from the more "traditional" versions we are used to - and also vary from the Ratmansky reconstruction we saw from the Bolshoi. I'm watching Act II and look forward to comparing notes with others later. (My invitation arrived at 1 pm PDT.)

Edited by California

Was surprised to find this online - The Royal Ballet's 2017 Cinema Broadcast of Jewels ... (Leave it to the Russians) ... Lamb and McRae are fun in Rubies (great too to see Valentino Zucchetti beaming away in the background) ... and James Hay is oh, so elegant in the Emeralds trio.  Sadly Soares (now retired) was just not up to the Diamonds' challenges - which was especially frustrating as Muntagirov had been so spectacular in it and he and Nunez work so well together.  A definite missed opportunity ... 

Edited by meunier fan

7 minutes ago, California said:

The tape is on-line until May 13 -- try contacting them?

I don't want to be a pain since the good folks at PNB likely have their hands full with all kinds of stay-at-home challenges and my donation wasn't huge, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I really did want to check out this particular Giselle. (And would cheefully pony up some bucks to own a copy of the video, if one were available for purchase ... )

Heads up for tomorrow -- from fiddleback's post in the Ballet Arizona forum:

6 minutes ago, fiddleback said:

Ballet Arizona will stream George Balanchine’s La Sonnambula for 24 hours on Sunday, May 10, beginning at 9AM.

Linkhttps://www.youtube.com/user/balletarizona/videos

Seems like the Balanchine Trust must be loosening up its grip on videos – especially for (presumably) allowing less-frequently-seen ballets like Sonnambula to be shown…

The email announcement didn’t indicate the casting, but included a photo with Jillian Barrell as the Sleepwalker, and Nayon Iovino as the Poet, so it seems they will be the likely cast, in which case the video would be from May, 2018. (Sorry, photo not readily available.)

The photo below is of Natalia Magnicaballi from a past performance. This was one of her favorite roles, and one that she requested to be able to dance for her final performance with Ballet Arizona, also in May 2018.

La-Sonnambula_Natalia-1.jpg

3 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Sigh. I made a donation, but never got the invite. $$$ for a good cause, nonetheless.

I made a donation on Wed. and received the invite on Fri. A friend donated on Friday and haven't got an invite. If there's a deadline I am not aware of it. Definitely send them email to inquire.

Edited by mussel

6 hours ago, meunier fan said:

Was surprised to find this online - The Royal Ballet's 2017 Cinema Broadcast of Jewels ... (Leave it to the Russians) ... Lamb and McRae are fun in Rubies (great too to see Valentino Zucchetti beaming away in the background) ... and James Hay is oh, so elegant in the Emeralds trio.  Sadly Soares (now retired) was just not up to the Diamonds' challenges - which was especially frustrating as Muntagirov had been so spectacular in it and he and Nunez work so well together.  A definite missed opportunity ... 

Thank you for that! I loved the Rubies pas de deux!!!

Is it a misperception of mine or the Diamonds pas de deux danced by Nuñez and Soares looks quite SwanLakeish?

23 minutes ago, eduardo said:

Thank you for that! I loved the Rubies pas de deux!!!

Is it a misperception of mine or the Diamonds pas de deux danced by Nuñez and Soares looks quite SwanLakeish?

That happens, and I suppose the dancers can be forgiven because Swan Lake is all most dancers know of the Mariisnky Imperial style of the early 1900s. Balanchine wanted to evoke the Mariisnky of his youth with Diamonds, but it's not supposed to specifically reference anything in Petipa ballets, that I know of. It's an homage, and perhaps a reminiscence of a style and atmosphere long gone by.

Besides the iconic pose, Diamonds when danced by Balanchine and Balanchine-influenced companies always reminds me more of Raymonda than Swan Lake.  I always think of Raymonda as a creature of the woods, and I think of the Diamonds woman more as a stag than a swan.

Thank you pherank. I totally understand what you said and I remember having read about the idea of Balanchine about each chapter of Jewels. What I meant is that seeing Nuñez and Soares in this pdd reminded me of Swan Lake. That didn't happen when I saw the same pdd danced by the NYCBallet or the POB (the latter, in video).

4 minutes ago, Helene said:

Besides the iconic pose, Diamonds when danced by Balanchine and Balanchine-influenced companies always reminds me more of Raymonda than Swan Lake.  I always think of Raymonda as a creature of the woods, and I think of the Diamonds woman more as a stag than a swan.

Agree with you, Helene. I always thought that the Diamonds ballerina features quite regal manners, which I relate to Raymonda.

Edited by eduardo
typo

34 minutes ago, eduardo said:

Agree with you, Helene. I always thought that the Diamonds ballerina features quite regal manners, which I relate to Raymonda.

Same here. The piece (and the ballerina role) has the same flavor for me as Raymonda.

Edited by nanushka

On 5/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, mussel said:

I recall some forum members have interest in seeing Carrie Imler perform.  She is cast as Myrtha.  More opportunities to see treasured retired dancers such as Batkurel Bold and Jonathon Poretta, and especially Kaori Nakamura in the title role.  Casting below:

Hilarion, the game keeper — Batkhurel Bold

Duke Albrecht of Silesia, in the attire of a villager — Jerome Tisserand

Wilfride, the Duke’s squire — William Lin-Yee

Giselle, a peasant girl — Kaori Nakamura

An Old Man — Ryan Cardea

Berthe, Giselle’s mother — Margaret Mullin

The Prince of Courland — Otto Neubert

Bathilde, the Duke’s fiancée — Sarah Ricard Orza

Peasant pas de deux — Leta Biasucci & Jonathan Porretta

Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis — Carrie Imler

Moyna, a Wili — Liora Neuville

Zulmé, a Wili — Margaret Mullin