This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Affects the Ballet World

Los Angeles Ballet ended up cancelling 2 shows on December 19th (their FB post stated it was a breakthrough case within the cast), and then their shows on December 26th "out of an abundance of caution" (I assume this was also 2 shows).  According to the County of Los Angeles Public Health website, there are 10 cases at Los Angeles Ballet Center - it's listed as "staff" cases but I believe dancers would be included as "staff" since they are technically employees.  (The Public Health website separates "staff" and "non-staff" for these non-residential settings.)

English National Ballet just cancelled both performances of Nutcracker for Dec 30 but hope to return Dec 31.

NUTCRACKER UPDATE: Due to a number of positive Covid cases in the company, we are extremely sorry to announce the cancellation of both performances of Nutcracker at the London Coliseum on Thursday 30 December.
l0jVQTSX_bigger.jpg

Ticket holders will be contacted to arrange credits or refunds. We hope to return to the stage on Friday 31 December. Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

Golden State Ballet at the Civic Center in San Diego cancelled its two debut days (which were Nutcracker) but got through the rest of the run. Oddly no published schedule for the rest of the season (unless I'm navigating wrong. This website is essentially California Ballet Company's former site but rebranded for GSB. That's a bit concerning, since I thought most other major companies at least have schedules up, regardless of whether COVID rears its ugly head in the end.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:45 AM, volcanohunter said:

No Nutcracker from English National Ballet on new year's eve either.

ENB just cancelled their Nutcracker for Sunday, January 2.

NUTCRACKER UPDATE: we are very sorry that the performance of Nutcracker on Sunday 2 January at has also been cancelled. Ticket holders will be contacted directly to arrange refunds or credits.

POB tried its best to resist but with no live orchestra. Today both Garnier "soirée russe" (with Rhapsody back) and Bastille Don Quichotte are held but tomorrow,  the last show of Don Quichotte is cancelled, pehaps the lack of dancers.

I just posted over on the SFBallet forum that the Opening Night Gala, scheduled for January 27, has been postponed until March 24.  Better than being cancelled altogether.  Nothing about changes to the regular season, which starts in February, so keeping fingers crossed that all will be well.

Edited by PeggyR

ENB's premiere of Raymonda has been postponed from Jan 13 to Jan 18 and all performances Jan 13-16 have been cancelled. 

Dear Friends,

As ENB supporters, I want to let you know that I have taken the difficult decision to postpone the opening of Raymonda until Tuesday 18 January 2022.

Sadly, the recent impact of Covid-19 means that rehearsals for Raymonda have been significantly disrupted. This, combined with the complexities of bringing a new, full-length ballet to the stage, mean that in order to meet these commitments, the opening of Raymonda will be delayed.

This has been an extremely difficult decision to make but we wanted to ensure that we were fully prepared to present this extraordinary work.

Raymonda is my first ballet as a choreographer, so very dear to my heart, and is the result of five years of research and collaboration with an exceptional creative team. I cannot wait to share it with you, even if it’s slightly later than we originally planned.

Raymonda will now premiere at the London Coliseum on Tuesday 18 January and run for seven performances until Sunday 23 January. Information will be shared with the public later today, including details for tickets holders of cancelled performances.

I am extremely grateful for your ongoing support for the Company and appreciate your patience and understanding with this decision. I am very proud of what we have achieved and hope you can join us for one of the performances.

With best wishes and many thanks,
Tamara

Tamara Rojo CBE
Artistic Director

San Francisco Ballet will start requiring proof of a booster, for those eligible, starting February 1:

San Francisco Ballet's Updated Safety Protocol

Beginning February 1, 2022, for those eligible, SF Ballet will require proof of a COVID-19 booster—received at least one week prior to your performance—for entrance into the War Memorial Opera House.

This expands upon the Company's current requirement (in effect through January 31, 2022) that all patrons, performers, volunteers, and staff ages 12 and up must present proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 for entry into the venue, and audience members under the age of 12 must show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative COVID-19 test (PCR test within 48 hours of the performance, or antigen [rapid] test within 24 hours of the performance).

Masks are required for everyone at all times, regardless of age, while inside the War Memorial Opera House. Masks with valves, gaiters, and scarves are not permitted. At this time, drinks are not permitted inside the auditorium.

Full vaccination is defined as completing the full initial course of vaccination (either two-dose mRNA series or single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine) administered two weeks or more in advance of the performance. Beginning February 1, 2022, SF Ballet will require up to date vaccination, defined as two weeks following full initial vaccination until eligible to receive a booster and, for those eligible, one week after having received a booster.

These protocols are in accordance with policies enacted by San Francisco Department of Public Health. For more information, updates, and for a list of resources,
 visit sfballet.org/safety.