Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Affects the Ballet World


Recommended Posts

Because London has been moved back into Tier 3 restrictions, the Royal Opera House is canceling performances on December 16-24.

In Saint Petersburg, the Mikhailovsky Theater is "voluntarily" canceling performances from December 20 to 31, in order to ease strain on medical services, given that active infections in the city have surpassed 70,000. There is a subtext here, though, because last week a performance of Cinderella starring Natalia Osipova played to a packed house, in contravention of limits on audience size, and a substantial trail of social media evidence was left behind. Initially, the theater cancelled performances on December 30th and 31st, before adopting a broader shutdown a day later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, pherank said:

PBS News Hour just ran a program about ballet and the pandemic: Nutcracker 2020

[video with transcript]
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/with-nutcracker-cancellations-dance-companies-get-creative

Anyone else bothered that Balanchine's version for NYCB is given credit for the beginnings of The Nutcracker tradition in America? I feel that credit should go to William Christensen for his 1944 production for San Francisco Ballet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Anyone else bothered that Balanchine's version for NYCB is given credit for the beginnings of The Nutcracker tradition in America? I feel that credit should go to William Christensen for his 1944 production for San Francisco Ballet.

 

6 minutes ago, Helene said:

Balanchine's was shown on TV (in February) and is frequently cited as being why The Nutcracker became well-known.


For me, the annoying part is that the media never takes the extra 10 seconds to set the record straight and give a more complete picture. It's always about reinforcing the Balanchine legend, which is just lazy, and ultimately ignorant. Ballet becomes MORE interesting when the vast web of relationships and influences is revealed. I guess that's too much information for American media.

Coincidentally, yesterday I caught Ballet West performing the 2nd act of Christensen's Nutcracker on BYU TV (I hadn't noticed that channel before).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

San Francisco is imposing a 10-Day Travel Quarantine Order until at least January 4. So even with vaccine distribution beginning, things aren't looking up yet. Both the Central California and Southern California zones now stand at 0% ICU bed availability. Be safe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like the Vail Dance Festival expects to be back July 30 in-person.

3eb2974a-199b-4c2c-aa37-0b0ef92df900.png
In 2021, we are looking forward to an in-person Vail Dance Festival beginning on July 30th with Calvin Royal III as our Artist-In-Residence and BalletX as our Company-In-Residence, and many of the extraordinary dancers, musicians, and artists who call the Vail Dance Festival their summer home! We are planning for a lively Festival of performances, free events for the community, and education activities including Celebrate the Beat for local Children.*

As we look to our return to the stage, there's never been a more important time to support the Vail Dance Festival. There are so many ways to show your support this holiday season. Click the button below to learn more. 
LEARN MORE
*As possible while following local, county, and state COVID-19 protocols
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure enough people will be vaccinated by April, even with at least three vaccines actively used -- assuming EUA for the Johnson & Johnson in January -- for herd immunity to take by then, but it is an outdoor venue.  I wonder how many people drive vs. fly, which might be the biggest risk by then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Helene said:

I'm not sure enough people will be vaccinated by April, even with at least three vaccines actively used -- assuming EUA for the Johnson & Johnson in January -- for herd immunity to take by then, but it is an outdoor venue.  I wonder how many people drive vs. fly, which might be the biggest risk by then.

 

I have to think every summer festival director is going through the same calculations -- Santa Fe Opera, Saratoga, Jacob's Pillow. Can they survive two cancelled summers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, Helene said:

I'm not sure enough people will be vaccinated by April, even with at least three vaccines actively used -- assuming EUA for the Johnson & Johnson in January -- for herd immunity to take by then, but it is an outdoor venue.  I wonder how many people drive vs. fly, which might be the biggest risk by then.

 

The vaccination program in the US is off to a rather inauspicious start. The supposed goal was to give the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine to 20 million people by the end of December, but the current rate is only 110,000 per day. I'm giving up hope that the Washington Ballet will be able to put on Swan Lake in May.

Edited by YouOverThere
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Apparently the hopes are the Moderna vaccine will be much more quickly distributed as it has less stringent temperature requirements. Fingers crossed.

Yes, Pfizer's vaccine storage requirements are really demanding (-70 °C (-94 °F)). The Moderna version is going to be easier to distribute, by far. Apparently cheese and yogurt manufacturers have been really upset about Pfizer needing to buy up all the available dry ice - that would put a lot of cheese making businesses in jeopardy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, pherank said:

Apparently cheese and yogurt manufacturers have been really upset about Pfizer needing to buy up all the available dry ice - that would put a lot of cheese making businesses in jeopardy.

Ugh! I can't imagine living without any Venezuelan beaver cheese.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

I have just published a story titled The Professional Ballet Community Adapts in a Pandemic World: Artistic Leadership, Dancers, and Educators Share Their Thoughts About the Past, Present, and Future in which 35 professionals of the ballet world respond to the following questions:

1. How have the events of the past year influenced how directors, teachers, choreographers, and dancers approach their jobs?

2. Although we all wish we had an eight ball, we know the future is unforeseeable. That being said, relative to the ballet industry, what predictions can we make for 2021?

It's a long read, but one broken up in chapters so you can take it little by little :) I hope you enjoy hearing the voices of all of these wonderful people that make the ballet world so beautiful!

Cherilyn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Hi Everyone,

I have just published a story titled The Professional Ballet Community Adapts in a Pandemic World: Artistic Leadership, Dancers, and Educators Share Their Thoughts About the Past, Present, and Future in which 35 professionals of the ballet world respond to the following questions:

1. How have the events of the past year influenced how directors, teachers, choreographers, and dancers approach their jobs?

2. Although we all wish we had an eight ball, we know the future is unforeseeable. That being said, relative to the ballet industry, what predictions can we make for 2021?

It's a long read, but one broken up in chapters so you can take it little by little :) I hope you enjoy hearing the voices of all of these wonderful people that make the ballet world so beautiful!

Cherilyn.

Congratulations, Cherilyn. Looks like you could easily add more responses as time goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a statement from the Washington Ballet, but given that the Kennedy Center has announced that it has cancelled all performances through the summer it's a pretty safe assumption that the WB's presentation of Swan Lake is not going to take place. The WB still has its season-ending program of new works listed on its website but the venue and exact dates are listed as "TBA".

Edited by YouOverThere
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This article in Harper's Bazaar is about different dancers' reflections on the impact of COVID-19 during Black Lives Matter protests and talk about the lack of diversity in dance, but, being Harper's Bazaar, the visuals are all about fashion.  I wished they hadn't gone with the blurry shots, but you can see the clothes more clearly and the dancers in motion in the video:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a36962917/dancer-portfolio-august-2021/?utm_source=The+Dance+Edit&utm_campaign=7d30d4e8e7-TheDanceEdit20201119_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_71d672be74-7d30d4e8e7-69902614

They feature:

  • Stella Abrera, Kaatsbaan
  • Tatiana Desardouin, Passion Fruit Dance Company
  • Vinson Fraley, Jr., Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company
  • Tiler Peck, New York City Ballet
  • Calvin Royal III, American Ballet Theatre
  • Lloyd Knight and Xin Ying, Martha Graham Dance Company
  • Misty Copeland, American Ballet Theatre
  • Melissa Verdecia, Ballet Hispánico
  • Savion Glover
  • Courtney Celeste Spears, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Helene said:

This article in Harper's Bazaar is about different dancers' reflections on the impact of COVID-19 during Black Lives Matter protests and talk about the lack of diversity in dance, but, being Harper's Bazaar, the visuals are all about fashion.  I wished they hadn't gone with the blurry shots, but you can see the clothes more clearly and the dancers in motion in the video:

Blurry is the new black?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Australia emerges from winter and grapples with Covid-19, Australian Ballet has postponed its upcoming season in Melbourne until 2022.  (The headline says cancelled, but the subhead and article talk about the postponement.)

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/news/the-australian-ballet-cancels-its-remaining-melbourne-season/?utm_source=The+Dance+Edit&utm_campaign=270e22fa4a-TheDanceEdit20201119_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_71d672be74-270e22fa4a-69902614

(Thanks to Dance Edit for the heads up.)

Alexei Ratmansky posted about this a few days ago to Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CShV0fyp5vM/

The photos in the post are wonderful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Helene said:

As Australia emerges from winter and grapples with Covid-19, Australian Ballet has postponed its upcoming season in Melbourne until 2022.  (The headline says cancelled, but the subhead and article talk about the postponement.)

When did their season actually begin? I think they may well regret taking a hard stance and not at least allowing for reduced audiences with social distancing measures in the theatre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...