This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2020 - Program 6 Present Perspectives

Program 6 Present Perspectives

CLASSICAL SYMPHONY

Composer: Sergei Prokofiev
Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov
Costume Design: Sandra Woodall
Lighting Design: David Finn
Video Concept by: Yuri Zhukov

World Premiere: April 9, 2010—San Francisco Ballet, War Memorial Opera House; San Francisco, California

APPASSIONATA

Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
Choreographer: Benjamin Millepied
Staged by: Janie Taylor and Sebastien Marcovici
Scenic Design: Camille Dugas
Costume Design: Alessandro Sartori
Lighting Design: Jim French

World Premiere: February 5, 2016—Paris Opera Ballet (originally titled La Nuit S’Achève), Palais Garnier; Paris, France

San Francisco Ballet Premiere: February 12, 2019—War Memorial Opera House; San Francisco, California

THE SEASONS

Composer: Alexander Glazunov
Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky
Costume Design: Robert Perdziola
Lighting Design: Mark Stanley

World Premiere: May 20, 2019—American Ballet Theatre, Metropolitan Opera House; New York, New York

Edited by pherank
10 minutes ago, seattle_dancer said:

I just received an email from SFB this program is cancelled.  Since program 5 was to overlap I'm assumung it was cancelled as well.  Fingers crossed for Jewels!

Yes, Programs 5 & 6 are cancelled - https://www.sfballet.org/a-message-regarding-the-covid-19-virus/

I expected this after Governor Newsom announced the recommendation about events with over 250 people.  Hamilton, The Last Ship, & Harry Potter also cancelled performances.

46 minutes ago, seattle_dancer said:

I just received an email from SFB this program is cancelled.  Since program 5 was to overlap I'm assumung it was cancelled as well.  Fingers crossed for Jewels!

I wish! But I'm not hopeful.

32 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

I expected this after Governor Newsom announced the recommendation about events with over 250 people.  Hamilton, The Last Ship, & Harry Potter also cancelled performances.

Yep, when Gov. Newsom made the big announcement that pretty much sank the rest of the season. If the whole idea is to slow down the disease progression (buying some time for the medical researchers to develop an effective vaccine), then 3 weeks isn't going to make that much difference. I fully expect these closures to last at least 6 weeks to be effective. However, as we are all noticing - these closures are tanking the economy many places and simply making it harder for society to function as needed. There's going to be a lot of juggling between health and safety, and economic well being (since after all the economy pays for everything we do).

The idea for the closures of public gatherings is to flatten the spike in new cases so that hospitals will not be overwhelmed. A vaccine on the other hand will take a year or a year and a half at best – according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIAID director. It seems to be a prudent decision to close the ballet and symphony for however long it takes, as the audience demographic, a great many of it over 50 years old, would be especially vulnerable to the effects of a coronavirus infection. In Italy the choices doctors are having to make are being compared to those in wartime (:NYT today). According to a Statnews report people are more contagious before they are ill than afterwards, so it would be difficult to screen people effectively before an event.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

Anyway time to follow the Ballet live-streamed. Perhaps some creative new models of recording performances might be an happy result. (Rene Clair anyone? Jean Renoir? Michangelo Antonioni?)

And remember plain soap and hand washing is the most effective protection (it dissolves the fatty links of the virus), followed by 70-91% alcohol wipes, according to:

https://virologydownunder.com/why-does-soap-work-so-well-on-sars-cov-2/?fbclid=IwAR2yrwNBq2l7uS5u2DFuSDlI8iIoF3E9PKYZSypZhX1QBJdeVs8YElxF8Hc

You are quite right, Quiggin - I should have mentioned hospitals will be overloaded with work, and, there are many, many people who should be tested for the virus, but the system is no where near ready to handle all the tests needed (as compared to, say, South Korea which now tests 10,000 people a day).