This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, March 6

dirac

The San Francisco Ballet cancels its remaining performances of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," as performance venues are closed over coronavirus fears.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced on Friday, March 6, that War Memorial and Performing Arts Center venues, including the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall, will be closed for all public events for the next two weeks over fears of the rapid spread of COVID-19 — the illness caused by the new coronavirus.

A review of the Royal Ballet in "Swan Lake" by Mark Monahan in The Daily Telegraph.

Thursday yielded the strange new experience of watching the first night of a huge Royal Ballet revival while knowing that the show’s chief architect, the company’s artist in residence Liam Scarlett, is suspended due to an ongoing investigation into his alleged sexual misconduct. When those allegations emerged last year, the company scotched a planned new piece by him. But strangling a proposed, short work at birth is one thing; ditching an already up-and-running, multi-million-pound tentpole production of Swan Lake that’s barely two years old (and against which millions of pounds’ worth of tickets will be sold) is presumably quite another. So, for now at least, it’s on with the show.

An interview with Carlos Acosta.

It’s about a two-hour journey from his home in Somerset, where he lives with his wife, Charlotte, a writer, and their three daughters, Alia, eight, and three-year-old twins. He likes just “being silly with my kids”. Regarding dance, Alia shows talent and clearly likes an audience, he says. “I would not force them, obviously, but I encourage them. She has a passion and perseverance and it’s great to see but whatever she does in the future is up to her.”

A review of Pennsylvania Ballet by Ellen Dunkel in The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Angel Corella’s new La Bayadère for Pennsylvania Ballet was lovely and his dancers impressed when it premiered Thursday night at the Academy of Music. But was the artistic director successful in removing the stereotypical characterizations, as he aimed to do by hiring choreography consultants?

Well, it was a start.

A review of American Ballet Theatre in "Of Love and Rage" by Laura Bleiberg for Voice of OC.

But because it comes from the mind and eclectic artistic experiences of Alexei Ratmansky, American Ballet Theatre’s in-house choreographer, this original production that had its world premiere Thursday night at the Segerstrom Center is classy entertainment. It’s extra-sweet candy, but made from organic ingredients, if you will.

"A Winter's Night at the Bolshoi" by Anastasia Edel in The New York Review of Books' blog.

On the stage, grand dance sequences flashed before my eyes. Famous dancers, the glory of the country—men tall and handsome, ballerinas seemingly cut from a piece of ivory by the same masterful hand—leaped and lunged in perfect unison, their costumes lavish, their movements flawless. In her white plisse dress and pearl hairnet, Nadya Pavlova looked every bit the living illustration from The Story of One Girl, her body bending at impossible angles as she flitted across the stage, her bourrées and attitudes pure and delicate, like the love that awaited her. Each time she smiled, I smiled, and each time she frowned, I frowned. The music, light yet tense, made me want to cry. When I could, at the end of each number, I clapped until my palms hurt.