This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

School of American Ballet: 2020 Annual Workshop

The program was just announced to Friends via e-mail:

Coppélia
Excerpts from Act III
Choreography by George Balanchine and Alexandra Danilova, after Petipa
Music by Léo Delibes

World Premiere 
Choreography by Gianna Reisen
Music by Igor Stravinsky

Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet 
3rd & 4th Movements
Choreography by George Balanchine

Music by Johannes Brahms, Orchestrated by Arnold Schoenberg

Workshop Performances will take place on Saturday, May 30 at 2:00pm and 8:00pm and Monday, June 1 at 7:00pm.

Tickets will go on sale to the public at www.sab.org in mid-April.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, California said:

I'm surprised SAB has not yet cancelled their spring Workshop May 30, although I assume it will be cancelled as well.

https://sab.org/events/

NYU Tisch just announced that their graduating students will present their work in an online format, rather than the live performances they typically have. I'm not sure exactly what the format will be (they said that more info is forthcoming). I hope SAB figures out some similar online way of doing the workshop.

Lots of pas de deux, perhaps?

15 minutes ago, uptowner said:

SAB workshop is cancelled. I am not sure if they have made a public announcement, but families of students were told. (I am not reporting heresay; I was notified directly) 

It's cancelled on their public web site: https://sab.org/events/

What a disappointment for the students. Wish they could stream some of it, although I doubt they've been back in class in quite some time.

Here's the message that just went out to SAB supporters. The studios are closed through Winter Term. They mention a Virtual Workshop Celebration in late May, so I'm wondering if there will be footage of the students.

2443263f-2704-455d-afe1-eae689304719.png

Dear Friends,

I write today to share the sad news that the School of American Ballet’s studios will remain closed through the end of our Winter Term this June due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Such an interruption to our operation has never occurred since our founding in 1934, but we know we must continue to prioritize the ongoing health and safety of everyone in the SAB family including our students, staff, and each and every one of you. 

This extended closure will mean the loss of annual activities that we all hold so dear—our students triumphantly dancing in the Workshop Performances and Benefit, the public celebration of our most advanced students as they head off to dance companies and colleges around the world, and the tearful goodbyes in every studio as students ages 6-19 bid their friends and teachers farewell for the summer. 

And yet, the spirit of SAB continues to thrive in a new and exciting way through 60 online classes each week during which our faculty and pianists are now providing ballet training to our 600+ students in “virtual ballet studios.” The Student Life Team has supported our residential students’ transition to online academic coursework, our Professional Placement Manager has been helping advanced students apply to dance companies with pre-taped video auditions, and the entire School continues to prepare for our Summer Courses in hopeful anticipation that we may be able to reopen our studios at that time. 

Some of you have asked how you can help SAB, and we are beyond grateful for your outpouring of support in this time. Your inquiries are especially heartwarming since we had counted on our Workshop Performances and Benefit to provide crucial funding for our training, scholarship, and support programs. We have established a special SAB Response Fund to ensure that we are able to continue providing exceptional ballet training for our students, maintaining our commitment to our artistic and administrative employees, and sustaining our facilities and our School for the future. If you are able, please consider making a special donation in addition to your annual membership gift. A gift of any size is impactful and would mean the world to us and our students.

We look forward to the day when we can welcome you back to SAB, when our studios will once again be alive with music and the devoted practice of our talented students. In the meantime, I hope that our weekly videos bring you joy and comfort. And while the last week of May typically finds us at our Workshop Performances, this year we hope to come together online through a Virtual Workshop Celebration so that we may once again recognize our incredible students and cheer them on to a brighter future. 

Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones, and know how deeply we appreciate your ongoing dedication to the School of American Ballet.

With gratitude,

414c1e71-75bd-405d-9ff9-564da0683a41.jpg
Carrie Hinrichs
Executive Director

50 minutes ago, uptowner said:

SAB workshop is cancelled. I am not sure if they have made a public announcement, but families of students were told. (I am not reporting heresay; I was notified directly) 

The rule is not about hearsay:  our rule is about whether it is official news from an official source, and insider information is not an official source.