This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sofiane Sylve and Carlo di Lanno moving to Dresden

10 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

Whoa! I had always secretly hoped that Sylve would run SFB be someday, but this is a nice step in that direction. Where did Dresden Semperoper Ballet make this announcement? 

Wow, big news. I, too, had high hopes that Sofiane would take over for Helgi. She has such a passion for teaching and coaching. 

I knew this day was coming in some form, but the end of an era is sad.
SS could have been a Ballet Master at SFB without too much trouble, so I have to think this move is more about Di Lanno's career than Sylve's (at this point). I still hope there's a chance for her to lead SFB in the future.

Edited by pherank
3 hours ago, kbarber said:

Dresden Semperoper Ballet announced their 2020-21 season, along with the news that Carlo di Lanno will be joining as Principal Dancer and Sofiane Sylve as Ballet Master (along with Marcelo Gomes)

Here is the link to the press release - scroll to page 3 of the document:  https://www.semperoper.de/fileadmin/semperoper/bilder/presse/pressefotos_pk_2020-21/Pressemappe_PK_2020-21_en.pdf

SFB has posted this on their FB page:  

What NOOOOOO! Does this mean Sofiane is retiring from dancing entirely?!

I'm glad I'm not alone in hoping Sofiane was next in line after Helgi for running the company.  I suppose this opens two principal spots for next year, both of which I imagine will be pretty tough to fill.  Sofiane and Carlo are both such unique dancers.  Though I can think of current soloists who I think certainly deserve the promotion.

... says Helgi Tomasson. “We will miss them, but I support their wish to return to their European roots.”

This may be key. As you get older you do long for those little things you grew up with. I will miss them both. My memories are of them in Seven Sonatas but also Sofiane S in various Balanchine works. But there's still an half a season left in which to say our goodbyes.

11 hours ago, pherank said:

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Maria Kochetkova is a guest principal with Dresden Semperoper Ballet.   😉
And choreographer David Dawson (an old acquaintance of SS) will become Associate Choreographer with Semperoper.

David Dawson has had an association with Dresden for over 15 years already.

Well, that certainly puts a damper on the rest of the ballet season.  Of course, I’m happy for them, although I too had hopes that when Sylve retired, she would be involved either with the ballet school or the company in some capacity.  Wishing them both all the best, and I hope they know how much they will be missed.

BTW, if Sylve dances Diamonds later this season, I’d suggest moving heaven and earth to see her.

7 hours ago, kbarber said:

David Dawson has had an association with Dresden for over 15 years already.

Thanks for the info, KBarber. I'm thinking that Dawson's presence at Semperoper is a big part of what makes the company attractive to SS.
Kochetkova won't be there so much, but she will be another familiar face.

For some reason the SFB notice regarding Sylve (and Di Lanno) seemed to leave out an important bit of information. Although they mentioned Sylve also being named an Artistic Advisor of Ballet San Antonio, there's more -

From the Ballet San Antonio homepage:
"We are thrilled to announce the opening of a professional dance school and the appointment of Sofiane Sylve as Artistic Advisor of Ballet San Antonio and the Director of the School of Ballet San Antonio"

Now, if I'm not mistaken, San Antonio is in Texas.  😉  
So, how does one work as a Ballet Master and (presumably) part-time principal in Germany, and run a ballet school, In the U.S.?

Edited by pherank
24 minutes ago, Helene said:

Maria Kochetkova might be able to do it, because she seems to need no sleep, but, wow.

On their own, each of these pieces makes sense. But together?
I'm happy to hear that Sylve will still spend some time in the U.S., but Texas? I'm not sure how that fits with her interests and connections. I'm guessing there's no school at Dresden Semperoper Ballet. Is that right? So she needs to find someplace to teach. But wouldn't a European school be closer?  😉
Or is it all about keeping one foot in North America?

That's a lot of questions, I know.  😉

Edited by pherank
21 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Dresden is home to one of the most important ballet academies in Germany.

https://www.palucca.eu/en.html

Ah, ha. So I have to think there's a reason why Sofiane wants to maintain a U.S. affiliation.
Note: Veronika Part is also teaching at the Summer Intensive (and she's working for Gennadi Nedvigin at Atlanta Ballet too).

Edited by pherank

One of the things that Sofiane mentions in the "self-interview" about the Ballet School San Antonio, is that "this school doesn't exist". So she is working on the curriculum at this time for what is proposed to be a full-time school. It remains to be seen how hands-on she can be while dancing and coaching/rehearsing with the dancers in Dresden.