This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Met Opera 2020-21 Season to Run through June 5, 2021

I just read Fred Plotkin's analysis of the 2020-21 Met Opera season, and towards the end was this:

Further observations about next season’s schedule: The Met has decided to go dark for the month of February 2021, but is extending its season until June 5, almost a month longer than its customary closing night on the second Saturday in May

(emphasis mine)

Yes, this was announced as early as Sept. 2018 in a Times article:

Sunday matinees will become a regular part of the Met’s offerings in the 2019-20 season. The following year, the Met will make another radical change in its schedule: It will take a midwinter break in February, when ticket sales are generally at their lowest, and add performances in the late spring, moving the end of the opera season to early June from May. Those spring weeks are currently used by American Ballet Theater; Mr. Gelb said that the ballet would reduce its Met season to five weeks from the current eight.

It was discussed on here at the time, though I'm not sure in which thread. It was also discussed, I believe, that ABT may split their spring season between the Koch (after NYCB clears out) and the Met.

All things considered, May/June is better than August for attracting larger crowds in NYC, I would imagine.

Edited by nanushka
9 minutes ago, Helene said:

I know it was mentioned before -- similarly the Joffrey moving into the Lyric Opera of Chicago venue -- but I'm posting the published reminders as the time comes nearer.

Yes, helpful to have a dedicated place to discuss as it draws nearer and the company’s plans become clearer. I’m eager to know what they’ll do.

Edited by nanushka
On 2/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, nanushka said:

Yes, this was announced as early as Sept. 2018 in a Times article:

It was discussed on here at the time, though I'm not sure in which thread. It was also discussed, I believe, that ABT may split their spring season between the Koch (after NYCB clears out) and the Met.

All things considered, May/June is better than August for attracting larger crowds in NYC, I would imagine.

Agreed, May/June is better than August, but the Koch is not available either as NYCB runs through the end of May. 

Presumably, they could also rent the Met Opera House during February, while the opera is on hiatus.  However, I'd be very cautious about purchasing any ABT tickets during snow season.  When they did Nutcracker at BAM a number of years ago there was a blizzard.  They refused to offer any kind of  exchange for people holding tickets.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:45 AM, abatt said:

Presumably, they could also rent the Met Opera House during February, while the opera is on hiatus.  However, I'd be very cautious about purchasing any ABT tickets during snow season.  When they did Nutcracker at BAM a number of years ago there was a blizzard.  They refused to offer any kind of  exchange for people holding tickets.

I've been attending NYCB  programs from  Feb 1 -29 and have had great luck with the weather.  There is an increase chance of a blizzard here or there in February but I for one would love to be able to see both NYCB and ABT in the "darkest" of winter months.  They do wonders for my outlook.  If the trains works, then I know that I can make it there and back.

Can anyone a little more savvy make some predictions for me?

Pending life being sort of back to normal....

If the Opera ends it’s season on the 5th, how long would it take for ABT to get in and start it’s season? 

If they split between the Met and the Koch, they would likely keep the full lengths at the Met...yes??

(I do some wedding photography and usually avoid June for my Spring Season trip....but have two brides rescheduling from COVID. Want to be supportive, but am also dying to get back to the ballet!!!!)

Thanks for any insights!!

17 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

Can anyone a little more savvy make some predictions for me?

Pending life being sort of back to normal....

If the Opera ends it’s season on the 5th, how long would it take for ABT to get in and start it’s season? 

If they split between the Met and the Koch, they would likely keep the full lengths at the Met...yes??

(I do some wedding photography and usually avoid June for my Spring Season trip....but have two brides rescheduling from COVID. Want to be supportive, but am also dying to get back to the ballet!!!!)

Thanks for any insights!!

Prior to the lengthening of the Met Season, ABT started right away after the opera season ended. The crew starts loading everything in as soon as they can. I’m assuming that that she probably not going to change, so the ballet’s going to start Monday the 7.

17 minutes ago, DPell said:

Prior to the lengthening of the Met Season, ABT started right away after the opera season ended. The crew starts loading everything in as soon as they can. I’m assuming that that she probably not going to change, so the ballet’s going to start Monday the 7.

Perfect, that’s super helpful! Thank you!!