This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2020 - Program 2 CLASSICAL (RE)VISION

As discussed in another topic, Program 2 has been revised.  Stanton Welch's Bespoke and Mark Morris's Sandpaper Ballet are still part of the program.  With the news of Liam Scarlett his Hummingbird will be replaced by Director's Choice.  More details are now available.  Director's Choice will be three pieces which will rotate.  Here are the pieces along with the dates they will be performed:  

Feb 11, 7:30 pm • Feb 14, 8 pm • Feb 22, 8 pm

Foreshadow (Val Caniparoli)
After the Rain Pas De Deux (Christopher Wheeldon)
Soirees Musicales (Helgi Tomasson)

Feb 12, 7:30 pm • Feb 20, 7:30 pm

05:49 (Myles Thatcher)
For Pixie (Danielle Rowe)
Grand Pas Classique (Victor Gsovsky)

Feb 16, 2:00 pm • Feb 22, 2:00 pm

Swan Lake Pas De Deux (David Dawson)
Concerto Grosso (Helgi Tomasson)

Foreshadow, 05:49, For Pixie, Grand Pas Classique, and Swan Lake Pas De Deux were performed at this year's Opening Night Gala.  Soirees Musicales was performed at last year's Opening Night Gala.  After the Rain Pas De Deux was performed at Stern Grove in 2016  - here are two links (Studio rehearsal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTPT_Yw6TWM, performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMbGtYwybR4&t=223s).  Concerto Grosso was seen in rehearsal during World Ballet Day 2014 (go to 09:35) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tST3-ivV_Ro.  

Program 2 open on Tuesday 2/11.  Casting will be posted here:  https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

Program 2 details:  https://www.sfballet.org/productions/classical-revision/

Edited by sf_herminator

Casting for the first three performances is now available (https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/)

Tue, Feb 11 at 7:30 PM

BESPOKE
Composer: Johann Sebastian Bach
Choreographer: Stanton Welch
Conductor: Martin West
Mathilde Froustey, Frances Chung, Jennifer Stahl, Wona Park, Isabella DeVivo, Ellen Rose Hummel
Esteban Hernandez, Carlo Di Lanno, Benjamin Freemantle, Wei Wang, Alexandre Cagnat, Lonnie Weeks
INTERMISSION
FORESHADOW
Composer: Ludovico Einaudi
Choreographer: Val Caniparoli
Jennifer Stahl, Elizabeth Powell, Tiit Helimets
Pas de Deux from AFTER THE RAIN
Composer: Arvo Pärt
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Violin: Cordula Merks
Piano: Natal'ya Feygina
Yuan Yuan Tan, Luke Ingham
SOIRÉES MUSICALES
Composer: Samuel Barber
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco
INTERMISSION
SANDPAPER BALLET
Composer: Leroy Anderson
Choreographer: Mark Morris
Trumpeter: Esteban Hernandez*, Misa Kuranaga*
Pas de Deux: Luke Ingham*, Sarah Van Patten*
Wei Wang, Max Cauthorn, Myles Thatcher, Steven Morse, Henry Sidford, Diego Cruz, Joseph Warton
Jahna Frantziskonis, Jennifer Stahl, Dores André, Madison Keesler, Elizabeth Powell, Miranda Silveira, Gabriela Gonzalez, Bianca Teixeira, Blake Johnston, Megan Amanda Ehrlich, Carmela Mayo, Samantha Bristow, Ellen Rose Hummel, Elizabeth Mateer
Wed, Feb 12 at 7:30 PM

BESPOKE
WanTing Zhao, Sasha De Sola, Kamryn Baldwin, Isabella DeVivo, Thamires Chuvas, Lauren Parrott
Angelo Greco, Steven Morse, Davide Occhipinti, Esteban Hernandez, Diego Cruz, Mingxuan Wang
INTERMISSION
05:49
Composer: Ivan Pavlov and Annie Bandez
Choreographer: Myles Thatcher
Sasha De Sola, Benjamin Freemantle
FOR PIXIE
Composer: Nina Simone 

Choreographer: Danielle Rowe
Dores André, Joseph Walsh
GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE
Composer: D. F. E. Auber
Choreographer: Victor Gsovsky
Wona Park, Wei Wang
INTERMISSION
SANDPAPER BALLET
Trumpeter: Joseph Walsh*, Julia Rowe*
Pas de Deux: Benjamin Freemantle*, WanTing Zhao*
Lonnie Weeks, Hansuke Yamamoto, Isabella DeVivo, Kimberly Marie Olivier, Ami Yuki, Maggie Weirich, Swane Messaoudi, Thamires Chuvas, Kamryn Baldwin, Anatalia Hordov, Natasha Sheehan, Lauren Parrott, Leili Rackow, Jasmine Jimison

Fri, Feb 14 at 8:00 PM

BESPOKE
WanTing Zhao, Sasha De Sola, Kamryn Baldwin, Isabella DeVivo, Thamires Chuvas, Lauren Parrott
Esteban Hernandez, Steven Morse, Davide Occhipinti, Wei Wang, Diego Cruz, Mingxuan Wang
INTERMISSION
FORESHADOW
Composer: Ludovico Einaudi
Choreographer: Val Caniparoli
Jennifer Stahl, Elizabeth Powell, Tiit Helimets
SOIRÉES MUSICALES
Composer: Samuel Barber
Misa Kuranaga, Angelo Greco
INTERMISSION
SANDPAPER BALLET
Trumpeter: Esteban Hernandez, Misa Kuranaga
Pas de Deux: Luke Ingham, Sarah Van Patten
Wei Wang, Max Cauthorn, Myles Thatcher, Steven Morse, Henry Sidford, Diego Cruz, Joseph Warton
Jahna Frantziskonis, Jennifer Stahl, Dores André, Madison Keesler, Elizabeth Powell, Miranda Silveira, Gabriela Gonzalez, Bianca Teixeira, Blake Johnston, Megan Amanda Ehrlich, Carmela Mayo, Samantha Bristow, Ellen Rose Hummel, Elizabeth Mateer
*Denotes role debut in current production
‡Denotes role debut at San Francisco Ballet
†Denotes debut in current production

Edited to add:  It appears the cast listed for Sandpaper Ballet on Wednesday is not complete.  The ballet uses 25 dancers and there are only 18 listed.  I will update this post when available.

Edited by sf_herminator
On 2/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, sf_herminator said:

As discussed in another topic, Program 2 has been revised.  Stanton Welch's Bespoke and Mark Morris's Sandpaper Ballet are still part of the program.  With the news of Liam Scarlett his Hummingbird will be replaced by Director's Choice.  More details are now available.  Director's Choice will be three pieces which will rotate.  Here are the pieces along with the dates they will be performed:  

Feb 11, 7:30 pm • Feb 14, 8 pm • Feb 22, 8 pm

Foreshadow (Val Caniparoli)
Soirees Musicales (Helgi Tomasson)

Feb 12, 7:30 pm • Feb 20, 7:30 pm

05:49 (Myles Thatcher)
For Pixie (Danielle Rowe)
Grand Pas Classique (Victor Gsovsky)

Feb 16, 2:00 pm • Feb 22, 2:00 pm

Swan Lake Pas De Deux (David Dawson)
Concerto Grosso (Helgi Tomasson)

Well darn it looks like I opened my big mouth and jinxed myself.  My program 2 day Feb 22 lo and behold, two Helgi filler pieces.  At least I have a ticket for the evening show, that looks like the better of the two to me.  Let's just hope casting stays the same so I can see YYT.  I would really like to see Grand Pas Classique again, and For Pixie, even if that means sitting through 05:49.  How is Soirees Musicales?  Hoping it's on the better side since it was a gala piece.  I do look forward to seeing Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco together again (assuming same casting).

Oh and credit to PeggyTulle - you called it on Concerto Grosso!

46 minutes ago, seattle_dancer said:

Well darn it looks like I opened my big mouth and jinxed myself.  My program 2 day Feb 22 lo and behold, two Helgi filler pieces.  At least I have a ticket for the evening show, that looks like the better of the two to me.  Let's just hope casting stays the same so I can see YYT.  I would really like to see Grand Pas Classique again, and For Pixie, even if that means sitting through 05:49.  How is Soirees Musicales?  Hoping it's on the better side since it was a gala piece.  I do look forward to seeing Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco together again (assuming same casting).

Oh and credit to PeggyTulle - you called it on Concerto Grosso!

In any case, your going to get your money's worth seeing 5 different pieces. And if the stars align correctly, Sofiane Sylve will be dancing Dawson's Swan Lake. That seems especially likely given that she's not appearing in Etudes (so far) in Program 3.

Unfortunately, Aaron Robison and Ulrik Birkkjaer continue to be out. Let's hope they are able to take part in this season.

To the Pointe: Classical (Re)Vision

Join Associate Director of Audience Development, Jennie Scholick, PhD for an exploration of the ballets on Program 2: Classical (Re)Vision. Hear from choreographer Stanton Welch and find out what to look for in his Bespoke, the rotating Director’s Choice ballets, and Mark Morris’s Sandpaper Ballet.

https://sfballet.blog/2020/to-the-pointe-classical-revision/

Complete casting now up for Wednesday 2/12 (Sandpaper Ballet was updated).  Additionally, Sunday 2/16 and Thursday 2/20 now up (https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/)

Wed, Feb 12 at 7:30 pm

BESPOKE

WanTing Zhao, Sasha De Sola, Kamryn Baldwin†, Isabella DeVivo, Thamires Chuvas, Lauren Parrott† Angelo Greco, Steven Morse, Davide Occhipinti†, Esteban Hernandez, Diego Cruz†, Mingxuan Wang†

INTERMISSION

FOR PIXIE

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE

Wona Park, Wei Wang

INTERMISSION

SANDPAPER BALLET

Trumpeter: Joseph Walsh*†, Julia Rowe*† Pas de Deux: Benjamin Freemantle*†, WanTing Zhao*† Lonnie Weeks†, Hansuke Yamamoto, Sean Bennett†, Cavan Conley†, Vladislav Kozlov†, Lucas Erni†, Nathaniel Remez† Norika Matsuyama†, Sasha Mukhamedov†, Isabella DeVivo†, Kimberly Marie Olivier, Ami Yuki†, Maggie Weirich†, Swane Messaoudi†, Thamires Chuvas†, Kamryn Baldwin†, Anatalia Hordov†, Natasha Sheehan†, Lauren Parrott†, Leili Rackow†, Jasmine Jimison†

Sun, Feb 16 at 2:00 pm

BESPOKE

WanTing Zhao, Sasha De Sola, Jennifer Stahl, Wona Park, Isabella DeVivo, Ellen Rose Hummel
Angelo Greco, Steven Morse, Benjamin Freemantle, Cavan Conley, Alexandre Cagnat, Lonnie Weeks

INTERMISSION

Pas de Deux from SWAN LAKE
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: David Dawson
Cello: Eric Sung

Sofiane Sylve, Carlo Di Lanno

CONCERTO GROSSO
Composer: Francesco Geminiani
Violin I: Cordula Merks
Violin II: Ani Bukujian
Viola: Yi Zhou
Cello: Eric Sung

Esteban Hernandez, Benjamin Freemantle, Mingxuan Wang†, Lonnie Weeks, Max Cauthorn

INTERMISSION

SANDPAPER BALLET

Trumpeter: Cavan Conley, Jahna Frantziskonis*
Pas de Deux: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira, Wona Park*†

Alexandre Cagnat†, Mingxuan Wang†, Sean Bennett, Joshua Jack Price†, Vladislav Kozlov, Lucas Erni, Nathaniel Remez, Norika Matsuyama, Sasha Mukhamedov, Isabella DeVivo, Kimberly Marie Olivier, Ami Yuki, Maggie Weirich, Swane Messaoudi, Thamires Chuvas, Kamryn Baldwin, Anatalia Hordov, Natasha Sheehan, Lauren Parrott, Leili Rackow, Jasmine Jimison

Thu, Feb 20 at 7:30 pm

BESPOKE
Conductor: Ming Luke

Mathilde Froustey, Frances Chung, Jennifer Stahl, Wona Park, Isabella DeVivo, Ellen Rose Hummel

Esteban Hernandez, Carlo Di Lanno, Benjamin Freemantle, Wei Wang, Alexandre Cagnat, Lonnie Weeks

INTERMISSION

FOR PIXIE

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE

Wona Park, Wei Wang

INTERMISSION

SANDPAPER BALLET

Trumpeter: Esteban Hernandez, Misa Kuranaga
Pas de Deux: Luke Ingham, Sarah Van Patten

• *Denotes role debut in current production
  • ‡Denotes role debut at San Francisco Ballet
  • †Denotes debut in current production
Edited by sf_herminator

Tonight's ballet performance ended early because of a power outage:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Power-outage-cuts-off-electricity-to-30-000-in-15052544.php#

Here are some related tweets:  https://twitter.com/search?q=San Francisco ballet&src=typed_query&f=live

SFB has a post on their IG stories:  https://www.instagram.com/stories/sfballet/

I was there.  In the fourth section of Welch's Bespoke, Angelo was dancing when all of a sudden the lights went out in the auditorium and the stage went dark.  He kept dancing for a bit and the orchestra played a few more bars of music.  An announcement was made, but because of the power outage it was hard to hear.  Basically they said the performance would resume as soon as the power came back.  However, about 15 minutes went by when they finally made announcement that the performance was cancelled and asked the audience to exit the auditorium.  When back in the lobby, lights were on in the lobby.  I was standing in the back behind the gift shop crew.  There was confusion as to why lights were on in the rest of the opera house but not in the auditorium.  I later heard that the power was out at the ballet building on Franklin.  Some surmised that the auditorium and backstage was on the same power grid as the ballet building, thus the performance could not continue.  There was no word on how theatre goers would be compensated.  I only had a standing ticket, so it is not a big loss for me.  

I will post later about last night's performance.  I will also be attending tomorrow night for the first performance of Program 3.

Edited by sf_herminator
29 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

Tonight's ballet performance ended early because of a power outage:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Power-outage-cuts-off-electricity-to-30-000-in-15052544.php#

Here are some related tweets:  https://twitter.com/search?q=San Francisco ballet&src=typed_query&f=live

SFB has a post on their IG stories:  https://www.instagram.com/stories/sfballet/

I was there.  In the fourth section of Welch's Bespoke, Angelo was dancing when all of a sudden the lights went out in the auditorium and the stage went dark.  He kept dancing for a bit and the orchestra played a few more bars of music.  An announcement was made, but because of the power outage it was hard to hear.  Basically they said the performance would resume as soon as the power came back.  However, about 15 minutes went by when they finally made announcement that the performance was cancelled and asked the audience to exit the auditorium.  When back in the lobby, lights were on in the lobby.  I was standing in the back behind the gift shop crew.  There was confusion as to why lights were on in the rest of the opera house but not in the auditorium.  I later heard that the power was out at the ballet building on Franklin.  Some surmised that the auditorium and backstage was on the same power grid as the ballet building, thus the performance could not continue.  There was no word on how theatre goers would be compensated.  I only had a standing ticket, so it is not a big loss for me.  

I will post later about last night's performance.  I will also be attending tomorrow night for the first performance of Program 3.

Noooooooo! That's a bummer. And right at the beginning of the evening.

Electric grids can seem oddly organized - lights can go out on one side of a street and not the other, and skip particular blocks. There's probably no emergency generator big enough to keep the entire opera house up and running.

Ugh, what a disaster. I'm going tonight; I would have been so upset and disappointed if this had happened while I was there. I really have to jump through hoops and make sacrifices to make a night in the city happen. My heart goes out to the performers - particularly after seeing Sasha M's Instagram message above (am assuming the performance didn't get that far) - and the audience members as well. Such a costly disappointment. Good ole PG&E, keeping on top of that infrastructure.

2 hours ago, Terez said:

Ugh, what a disaster. I'm going tonight; I would have been so upset and disappointed if this had happened while I was there. I really have to jump through hoops and make sacrifices to make a night in the city happen. My heart goes out to the performers - particularly after seeing Sasha M's Instagram message above (am assuming the performance didn't get that far) - and the audience members as well. Such a costly disappointment. Good ole PG&E, keeping on top of that infrastructure.

Toi, toi, toi, Terez.

3 hours ago, California said:

The Web site now says people at the cancelled performance should contact the box office to exchange for another performance in the 2020 season.  No mention of refunds, but I am guessing the fine print somewhere covers this.

California, where on the website are you seeing this? It's not on the scrolling banner, and seems to be well buried.

Edited by pherank
5 minutes ago, California said:

Strange! This morning it was scrolling across the top, but now it seems to be gone.

I guess they had 2nd thoughts about posting anything that could be construed as "negative" (disconcerting, confusing, whatever). Don't mention problems - maintain a facade of good-natured competence!

I saw this program on Tuesday 2/11 & Friday 2/14 (plus almost 1/3 of the program on Wednesday 2/12).  It is worth going - even if it's for only Sandpaper Ballet.  

Bespoke - Choreographed by Stanton Welch for the 2018 Unbound Festival, there are 12 dancers with music by J.S. Bach.  Sections of two different violin concertos are used.  Welch wanted to depict the trajectory a ballet dancer's career.  The choreography definitely matched, the opening section depicting the joyous and exuberant start of a young dancer and the last section depicting the dancer coming face to face with the end of the journey.  Upon first viewing, it was better than I remembered back in 2018.  Upon further thought and second viewing, it is pleasant to watch but nothing particularly memorable.  

Director's Choice - The three pieces on Tuesday and Friday were the same.  First up was Foreshadow, choreographed by Val Caniparoli for this year's opening night gala with music by Ludovico Einuadi.  The quick take is 'Anna Karenina in 6 minutes'.  Dancers were Jennifer Stahl (Anna), Tiit Helimets (Count Vronsky), and Elizabeth Powell (Kitty).  The dancing and choreography did evoke a love triangle - admittedly I have not yet read the book or seen a movie version.  Second piece was Pas de Deux from After the Rain.  Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon and danced by Yuan Yuan Tan and Luke Ingham, I never tire of watching this piece.  The last piece was Helgi Tomasson's Soirees Musicales.  With music by Benjamin Britten, it has the appearance of a gala piece - the opening is a pas de Deux, then each dancers does his/her solo.  The dancers were Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco.  It was nice enough, but a great showcase for both dancers.  On the first night, I thought that the order should have been switched with After the Rain and Soirees Musicales.  However, the current order makes sense - especially since Misa also danced in Sandpaper Ballet.

Sandpaper Ballet - Choreographed by Mark Morris to selections by Leroy Anderson with 25 dancers, this work premiered in 1999 and was last performed in 2009 (although there was a performance in 2012 or 2013 at Stern Grove).  This piece is so much fun to watch and the dancers really get into the spirit of it.  It is hard not to smile when you leave the Opera House.  It was unfortunate to have the power go out on Wednesday as I had gone specifically to see the second cast - but plan on going tomorrow.

2 hours ago, pherank said:

Thanks sf_herminator - I hope you finally get to see Mukhamedov and Kozlov.

So you've never read Anna Karenina? Now you've got something to do this summer.  😉

Mukhamedov & Kozlov are scheduled to dance tomorrow - along with most of the cast that was scheduled to dance on Wednesday.  There are a few dancers marked as debuting - plus Jahna will be dancing Trumpeter's Lullaby (with Cavan Conley - Esteban Hernandez & Misa Kuranaga danced these roles Tuesday & Friday), so I will post on that.  The opening night cast is also scheduled to dance on Thursday.  Saturday casting has not yet been posted.

Anna Karenina is on my list - it was part of PBS Great American Reads and part of a big pile of books to read 🙂

I didn't really finish my thoughts on Misa in my previous post.  What my thought was that it was great to see her do a start turn with Angelo, then turn around and dance as part of a big ensemble.  That's one of the many reasons to love Sandpaper Ballet.  

49 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

I didn't really finish my thoughts on Misa in my previous post.  What my thought was that it was great to see her do a start turn with Angelo, then turn around and dance as part of a big ensemble.  That's one of the many reasons to love Sandpaper Ballet.  

Kuranaga is proving to be a great boon to the company. I just hope she doesn't burn herself out: she and Greco (like Kochetkova before them) tend to dance constantly with few periods of rest and relaxation. I suppose they don't know what to do with themselves if they're not dancing.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:24 PM, pherank said:

Thanks sf_herminator - I hope you finally get to see Mukhamedov and Kozlov.

I am very happy to report that Sasha Mukhamedov & Vladislav Kozlov - along with the rest of the cast - were wonderful in this afternoon's performance of Sandpaper Ballet.  Just like the opening night cast, this afternoon's cast looked like they were  having so much fun dancing!!

I skipped Bespoke, but did watch today's Director's Choice - Wheeldon's After the Rain Pas De Deux, Pas De Deux from Dawson's Swan Lake, and Tomasson's Concerto Grosso.  As I said previously, I never tire of After the Rain.  In Swan Lake, what I noticed (as well as another friend) is that Prince Siegfried seemed to have more swan-like movements than the White Swan.  It made me more curious about the entire ballet.  Concerto Grossis choreographed for five men, each dressed in a different color.  It was created in 2003 for the second 70th anniversary opening night gala.  The original cast included former Principal Dancer Pascal Molat.  Today his role was danced by Lucas Erni.  The other men were Max Cauthorn, Lonnie Weeks, Benjamin Freemantle, and Mingxuan Wang.  Their dancing was very high quality and very enjoyable.

One more comment about today's performance:  I was a bit taken aback by the polite applause at the end of Sandpaper Ballet.  As a whole, it was a wonderful performance that I thought should have had a more enthusiastic response.  I personally thought it was a bit subdued.  There were some giggles during the 'Overture' of Sleigh Ride (if you have never seen this piece, the orchestra starts to play Sleigh Ride while the curtain is down.  The curtain goes up with the second piece of music, which is The Typewriter.). But I just the the applause was more enthusiastic on Tuesday and Friday.  I plan to see both performances on Saturday (can't go on Thursday as I will be seeing Paul Taylor).

Edited by sf_herminator