This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Program III: Firebird, Rodeo, NSS.

We'd all like to think the ballet world has changed but it hasn't. Look at the Russian superstars that everyone adores, one more skeletal than the next. I don't doubt Morgan was taken out of the role because of her body. What disappoints me is that they hired her knowing her body type and her illness and that she would never be stick thin again. What were they trying to accomplish? 

Edited by Fleurfairy
41 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

We'd all like to think the ballet world has changed but it hasn't. Look at the Russian superstars that everyone adores, one more skeletal than the next. I don't doubt Morgan was taken out of the role because of her body. What disappoints me is that they hired her knowing her body type and her illness and that she would never be stick thin again. What were they trying to accomplish? 

Again ..I can't stress enough the fact that MCB is a company of VERY petite dancers. Nathalia Arja, the Firebird, Is even smaller than Erica Pereira. The size difference during Slaughter was very obvious. 

I have the feeling that there was probably a deal for Morgan to get the role on the premises that she continued losing weight. And it just didn't happen.

I think all performances were danced by Arja.

I’ve only seen the company a few times, but agree that most of the dancers are very tiny. What struck me, though, was that there were several exceptions (maybe four? — including one principal soloist who is significantly larger) so I sort of assumed that it would be a fine fit for Morgan. Meaning if Lopez was comfortable with including a few women who stuck out, she’d be comfortable with Morgan joining in as one of the “bigger”* dancers. 

*Bigger in comparison to the others. Obviously Morgan and the other dancers look fine and healthy. 

Is it possible that Morgan being told she was “out of shape” didn’t exclusively mean her weight? “Out of shape” in my mind could refer to, you know, an eight year break. Or the calf injury, or a stamina issue, or a million other things. I trust Morgan is telling the truth about why she was pulled, but I also think it’s very possible she only heard comments about her weight in a case that Lopez meant to be more constructive. Both women are smart and thoughtful, but that doesn’t mean that they will always walk away from a conversation with the same understanding of what was discussed.

Either way, I do love that it opens up a conversation to younger dancers about how life isn’t over when you don’t get cast for one reason or another!

Nina Fernandez danced Firebird in the second cast (per MCB casting).  I greatly appreciated Morgan's video, and although I thought she walked a find line, didn't find her to be complaining or resentful, just disappointed.

If anything...I just really hope Morgan can eventually enjoy her dancing down here, even if it's less than what she expected.  And this not only in terms of repertoire, but as a part of a troupe. I keep repeating that MCB is a tight bunch. I see them at the beach together...at the cafes around the city etc.  What Morgan should NOT follow are Messmer's steps. The feeling of being an outcast. If she gets there her joy will be certainly jeopardized.

6 hours ago, Syzygy said:

Is it possible that Morgan being told she was “out of shape” didn’t exclusively mean her weight? “Out of shape” in my mind could refer to, you know, an eight year break. Or the calf injury, or a stamina issue, or a million other things. I trust Morgan is telling the truth about why she was pulled, but I also think it’s very possible she only heard comments about her weight in a case that Lopez meant to be more constructive. Both women are smart and thoughtful, but that doesn’t mean that they will always walk away from a conversation with the same understanding of what was discussed.

It may well be a stamina issue given that Morgan hasn't been performing steadily with a company (in a long while). It takes time - but it will also take dance opportunities. At some point Lopez has to just let her get back on stage and go through the experience.

59 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Lourdes Lopez "liked" Kathryn's body positivity post on IG. So I think this isn't a doxxing of management.

Lourdes agreeing with Morgan's message of encouragement doesn't necessarily equals Lourdes agreeing on Morgan looking adequate in the Firebird's leotard.

16 hours ago, pherank said:

It may well be a stamina issue given that Morgan hasn't been performing steadily with a company (in a long while). It takes time - but it will also take dance opportunities. At some point Lopez has to just let her get back on stage and go through the experience.

My thoughts exactly. 

17 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Lauren Fadeley is her name. And she is more the muscular, tall type vs Morgan's hypothyroidism related weight.

Yes, but I try not to use names when I'm talking about someone's body when they aren't the ones starting the conversation. 😬 For the record, Fadeley looks great! I only mentioned her to point out that there are a few in the company who don't fit into the teeny-tiny mold — and it never struck me as a big deal. 

Last week Megan Fairchild did a 51 minute interview with Kathryn Morgan on her instagram.  About 3/4 or 2/3 of the way through, Megan asked Kathryn about what her future hopes were (in an awkward way), regarding her "platform" and Kathryn answered that she would no longer be in Miami.  Kathryn said she would like to be dancing somewhere, anywhere (paraphrased?) and that she really missed her youtube productions/fans.

24 minutes ago, Mousie29 said:

Last week Megan Fairchild did a 51 minute interview with Kathryn Morgan on her instagram.  About 3/4 or 2/3 of the way through, Megan asked Kathryn about what her future hopes were (in an awkward way), regarding her "platform" and Kathryn answered that she would no longer be in Miami.  Kathryn said she would like to be dancing somewhere, anywhere (paraphrased?) and that she really missed her youtube productions/fans.

She also mentioned she wants to be closer to her bf who is a dancer at Ballet West.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:19 PM, Mousie29 said:

I kind of guessed she would not last down here. Miami is rough.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:02 PM, canbelto said:

Lourdes Lopez "liked" Kathryn's body positivity post on IG. So I think this isn't a doxxing of management.

That post, I suspect, was a catalyst. Morgan clearly said she wanted to dance the role and that she was pulled out of it. She never says that she understands the reasons why. She was definitely upset and she obviously felt she should had danced it. Lourdes liking the post is a mere "I hear you, and I acknowledge that you are frustrated". But that's it. The end result is the same. Morgan feels she should had been onstage for Firebird. Lourdes decided against it.

After such a long time away from the stage one can't help feeling that losing yet another season due to covid-19 must be a bad blow for Morgan's comeback whether or not she would be able to stay in Miami. (I've been rooting for her in a big way...)

On 4/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, JuliaJ said:

In Kathryn Morgan's recent interview on Megan Fairchild's YouTube channel, she did explicitly say she was pulled out of Firebird because of her body

And that could probably be the end of her tenure down here. Lopez did pull her out of the role, but also offered it to her. Tbh, I saw Morgan as the Striptease girl and didn't see her ready yet , body wise. Maybe she won't ever be back to where she was before getting sick. Quite a shame. For some reason I thought she could do a triumphant big return as O/O in Ratmansky's upcoming SL. 

The whole social media lacrimose post is a mistake, in my book, if she wants to keep trying to fit in a company. That will only scare AD's, and like it or not, the weight issue, even being a cruel, raw topic, comes with the job. On its non spoken description though...

Joy Womack is the poster child for such controversial online rantings.

Why such negativity towards Kathryn Morgan’s body?  Who says that dancers must only be a specific size in order to dance well?  It’s baffling in 2020 that dancers are still held to prepubescent standards.  We are discussing someone who is quite small naturally, but she has filled out as a woman. Does that make her a bad dancer or just not conforming to a preconceived notion of the perfect Balanchine dancer? 

Edited by trixiebeaumont
Typo
17 minutes ago, trixiebeaumont said:

\Who says that dancers must only be a specific size in order to dance well? 

Not well but maybe certain parts like the Firebird may indeed have size requirements – Alicia Markova who originated the role was tiny, a hummingbird firebird. Not sure if this is the exact part Kathryn Morgan was doing. I remember hearing that only the small men would play Franz in Danilova/Balanchine Coppelia in San Francisco several years ago (Boada, Luiz, Domitro), because of the quickness and lightness, pas de chats, etc, the part demanded – and don't small men do Tarantella? Roberto Bolle looks as though there are certain parts that he wouldn't play well but romantic and langorous ones he would be dreamy in. In basketball, teams are said to be strategically playing the smalls – going small – or playing big (Steph Curry at 6' 3" is a small).

15 minutes ago, Quiggin said:

Not well but maybe certain parts like the Firebird may indeed have size requirements – Alicia Markova who originated the role was tiny, a hummingbird firebird. Not sure if this is the exact part Kathryn Morgan was doing. 

My Ballet Russe reading is stuck in my long term memory.  Tamara Karsavina was the first Firebird.  Alicia Markova was the title bird in The Nightingale and Maria Tallchief was Balanchine's first Firebird.  Didn't von Aroldingen also dance Firebird after Kirkland?

Edited by lmspear
Adjusted quotation.