This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of Canada at The Kennedy Center

Thanks for the link -- that is indeed a juicy program.  Tangentially, I had to wince at the trailer from the Kennedy Center -- they do the same thing that so many groups do with this kind of fast clip edit, and run one piece of music over the whole thing.  It makes the pick and grab aspect of the visuals seem even more erratic, and erases any direct rhythmic connection between sound and movement.   I often just turn the sound off for stuff like that, so I can concentrate on the movement material.  (stepping down from my soapbox)  (/rant)

1 hour ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

You're welcome. 

I saw The Sleeping Beauty last night. As usual, it's a marathon of a ballet, and although not my favorite, I wanted to see Nureyev's version - here's my thoughts.

Thanks and am now prepped for NO dancing Lilac.  I looked up the full cast list on NBOC website and was looking forward to Tanya Howard.    What was the run time? KC has TBA.  

Kent TWB did a SB last season with a dancing Lilac and Macaulay was in the audience.  He 's doing a lecture at the studio on Balanchine + Ashton and Gomes is guesting in Allegro Brillante and Méditation for Thaïs.  Best review etc of TWB SB was by Macaulay on his instagram at https://www.instagram.com/p/BujL_qpAMFb/  . 

Edited by maps

I attended Friday's performance, and to me it just seemed a little under-rehearsed. Beyond one of the princes taking a tumble after tripping over another prince, the dancing didn't come across (at least to me) as being dramatic, as if the dancers were still thinking about the movements rather than dancing a character. Or maybe it was just a case of staleness, as The Sleeping Beauty is a bit over-performed in DC (as is Giselle). Or maybe I was a little tired. Or a little grouchy over missing the beginning because of the REALLY long line at the will call. I was more impressed by the Tuesday and Wednesday performances of the other program.

11 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

I was more impressed by the Tuesday and Wednesday performances of the other program.

I, too, definitely preferred the rep program.

11 hours ago, Blackcurrant said:

Hi there, The Traveling Ballerina! The link for your Sleeping Beauty review wasn't working -- I think you meant this link? Thank you so much for your reviews!!

Thanks for pointing out the error! I've updated the link, as well. And, you're welcome :)

On 1/31/2020 at 11:25 AM, The Traveling Ballerina said:

I saw The Sleeping Beauty last night. As usual, it's a marathon of a ballet, and although not my favorite, I wanted to see Nureyev's version - here's my thoughts.

I can't pass up the chance to complain about the costumes. Some of them were a bit ridiculous, especially in the last act where the men wore bright orange pants and what looked like exotic birds on their heads and the mazurka women wore dresses with brown circles at interesting locations.