This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ENB 2020/21 Season

A new version by Tamara Rojo, after Marius Petipa.

Love and courage in a time of war.

England, 1853. Raymonda runs away from her comfortable life to become a nurse in the Crimean War. There, she becomes engaged to a soldier, John, but soon develops feelings for his friend Abdur, a leader of the Ottoman army. As turmoil grows around and inside her, who will she give her heart to?

Taking inspiration from the ground-breaking spirit of Florence Nightingale and the women who supported the war effort in Crimea, Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director of English National Ballet, creates a new version of the classic story ballet, Raymonda.

This adaptation keeps the best of the 19th-century original – its glorious and sensuous score by Alexander Glazunov and the classical choreography of ballet genius Marius Petipa – and updates it with a dramatic new story, introducing a heroine in command of her own destiny.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:37 AM, kbarber said:

England, 1853. Raymonda runs away from her comfortable life to become a nurse in the Crimean War. There, she becomes engaged to a soldier, John, but soon develops feelings for his friend Abdur, a leader of the Ottoman army. As turmoil grows around and inside her, who will she give her heart to?

How interesting!  We're in such a fascinating time, with ever-more meticulous reconstructions on the one hand, and far-flying reinterpretations on the other.  For those of us who love to think about identity, and what makes a certain work itself (reproduceable and recognizable), we are having a splendid time!

On 1/29/2020 at 1:07 AM, Mashinka said:

A Raymonda reimagined as Florence Nightingale and set in the Crimean war?  I imagine the crusades are on the politically incorrect list like so much else.  Wild horses wouldn't drag me to this one.

I agree with you totally!

And I wrote a comment about it on the youtube channel of ENB, but they didn't like it!

They deleted my comments twice!!!

After 9/11 and ISIS, they afraid to insult Arabs? They think that now they treat women with respect?

After crusades and the colonization of the entire planet the evil ones are always the Russians?

I have tickets to the premiere and look forward to it. The extensive discussion about offensive cultural appropriation is much-discussed in other artforms, but not nearly so much in ballet, although we have plenty to discuss. And while I'm in town, I get to see Osipova in R&J, so looking forward to it all.

Edited by California